The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. D

Issue with RX1rII is with Light Leak

Apparently the issue with the new RX regards a light leak affecting some cameras that happens in direct, harsh light with the EVF engaged. Affected serial numbers are follows (translated from French): If the serial number of the DSC- RX1RM2 apparatus is comprised in the range indicated below...
  2. D

Sony RX1rII and Nissin i40 Incompatible

Save yourself the hassle of returning something. The Nissan i40 and the new Sony RX are incompatible. The (otherwise good) little Nissin flash unit is a bit wide, and as such it interferes with the RX's popup EVF. When installed, the EVF cannot pop up all the way and is prevented from...
  3. D

Mild Rant - What the $%&^ Does "Lens is Too Clinical" Mean?

I've seen this criticism(?) in many posts and in many forums regarding lens IQ. What does this mean? Can anyone explain it? If a lens isn't sharp, doesn't render well, has soft corners or ugly bokeh... THAT I can understand. When someone says "clinical"... does this mean it's TOO perfect...
  4. D

DxO Optics Pro 10 Now Supports A7rII

Finally, DxO now supports the new Sony. What took them so long? It was worth the wait! I just tried a few Raw images, comparing DxO vs. LR. Wow, huge, HUGE difference! It virtually removed all vignetting from the FE 16-35 (@16mm), improved the edge distortion and applied very pleasing...
  5. D

Batis 25 and Batis 85 - Availability and Experiences

I thought I'd start a separate thread about these two (apparent) gems. Like many, I have both on order and anxiously await the magical ship notice from B&H. In the meantime, post here if you've recently gotten your copy(s), along with pertinent details as your source and the date you ordered...
  6. D

Online Reviews of the A7rII

We are starting to see a lot of independent reviews of the new camera popping up. Maybe a single thread for them? I'll start: Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape has reviewed the new camera: https://luminous-landscape.com/sony-a7rii-review-and-hands-on-report/ This may be one of the...
  7. D

Dpreview - "Sony Alpha 7R II can match or beat DSLR low light AF performance"

Dpreview - "Sony Alpha 7R II can match or beat DSLR low light AF performance" This is a bit of an earth shaker: Sony Alpha 7R II can match or beat DSLR low light AF performance: Digital Photography Review Having tested the A7rII in low light, I've found it to be much improved over the A7II...
  8. D

A7rII Owners - List Your MINOR Complaints!

We all know the major complaints (lossy RAW, etc), few as they are. But after owning the camera for a week, what are the minor ones that bug you? Here are couple of mine. 1. 42 mpx, what a luxury! Shooting in APSC mode gives us a 1.5 crop factor, so the 70-200 now reaches to 300mm! The...
  9. D

FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS lens

I'm interested in this lens. I do macro work, and this could also be a good portrait/people lens. Owning this lens would also mean the end of all Nikon gear ownership for me. However, I'm very disturbed by this hands on report from SAR: A few great pictures of the new FE lenses (look how...
  10. D

Anyone Considering the FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS?

I haven't seen much discussion here. This lens fascinates me, as I've always had one "do it all" lens, and it comes in super handy on vacation trips and situations where a broad FL range is quickly needed. I've always had such a lens with my Nikon systems, and that type of lens became the...
  11. D

Easy Access to EXIF, etc. Data on Smart Phone & Tablet

This is great news for those who view images on their smart devices. Apple's iOS 8 allows third party apps extensions so their functionality is easily accessible from core apps such as Photos and Message. Using a free app called Photo Investigator, all photo data is now at your fingertips...
  12. D

What Was Your First Camera

The reminiscing occurring in another thread got me thinking: What was my first camera? For me, well, I had a couple of cameras before I took photography seriously. In fact, I still have them :D : I can still sing the Swinger's TV commercial jingle, verbatim. I can still smell the lacquer...
  13. D

The Wait For New FE Mount Lenses Info May Be Over

Announcement tomorrow (9/12), 7 AM London time. Or... later this evening in the Pacific time zone. For lenses, I'm betting on the 16-35 and 90mm macro. At least I hope so (:D). These, along with the already-announced cine zoom lens, will have ship date estimates. I think we should also see...