The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. TRSmith

Like Notifications

Hey everyone! It's been a good long while since I've been around. Hope all is well. I've recently started receiving email notifications that images I've posted in the past are being "liked". Of course I certainly appreciate that and am honored. However, given that it's been over a year since...
  2. TRSmith

Lens Correction Slow Down in C1-Pro fix

I have no idea if this issue has already been discussed here or if this is old news. I did a quick scan of the threads and didn't see anything so thought I'd post in case anyone else ran into the same problem. I've been experiencing endless spinning beach balls and ultra slow performance in...
  3. TRSmith

Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G AF-S DX IF-ED Lens

I'm deciding to go all FX and this lens is now for sale. It's a solid performer, with clear front and rear glass, clean inside. Outside shows signs of use, but not abuse. It's a workhorse lens and I'll miss its range. Includes front and rear caps, shade, original box, instruction booklet, and...
  4. TRSmith

First Strobe Since the 70s

Greetings. I would love to get your more experienced opinion about a sample frame from I shoot I did over the weekend. My general enthusiast level approach has been exclusively with ambient light for decades. The last time I used an artificial light source (other than house lighting) was with...
  5. TRSmith

Having a senior moment...

I'm stuck in a thought rut. Working with my new D810 and processing in C1 Pro 10. I have always used "Linear Response" as a setting in the base characteristics when importing files. I'm noticing that when I do that, in spite of the levels showing on the camera at the time of exposure being...
  6. TRSmith

C1pro Clarity and Structure Adjustments

Happy New Year! I'm going through a recent shoot and playing with the images in ways I haven't done before. A little experimentation to see if my processing habits might benefit from a fresh approach. In the process, I've been toying with the clarity and structure sliders. I'm curious about...
  7. TRSmith

My New Favorite Sling

I've been hooked on sling-type camera straps for years and have discovered a product that takes the approach to a new level. The "sling" approach suspends the camera across the body (in the same way a messenger bag strap functions) and when it works well, allows for very easy lifting of the...
  8. TRSmith

Need Advice on Autofocus Tracking with D810

Greetings! I feel I should confess that in spite of owning a D700 for 5 years and before that a D2xs, I now realize (with the arrival of my new D810) that I've never used any of the more advanced auto focusing features in any of them. I've been content to assign the shutter release to the AF-On...
  9. TRSmith

I've made a mess of my C1 sessions...help!

I've recently had to replace my Mac Pro with a Mac Book Pro (an interim step while awaiting the new Mac Pro) and have discovered that my laziness re: DAM has caught up with me. I was running 4 drives inside the Mac pro plus an external drive and a backup RAID. I have years of sessions littered...
  10. TRSmith

Thunderbolt Drive Enclosures?

After patching my Mac Pro together for the last year or so, the power supply bit the dust and I opted to switch to a new Macbook Pro as an interim "desktop" until the new Mac Pros are introduced. It's a spiffy thing and with the RAM and SSD, at least as fast as my early 2008 Mac Pro tower...
  11. TRSmith

CF or SDHC in D800?

I'm asking for a friend who's contemplating card purchases for her D800. She's wondering if a CF with a SDHC as a reserve card is a good way to go. I haven't much experience or knowledge with current card tech so thought I'd ask for your opinions. She's a wedding pro and is thinking of using...
  12. TRSmith

Baking my nvidea 8800GT in the oven

That's right, in the oven. 400 degrees F for 10 minutes completely brought the previously dead card back to life. I've ordered a newer card to replace it and help me get by until the new Mac Pros come out, but this was a trick I would not have believed but had little to lose. I'm giving myself...
  13. TRSmith

Unable to achieve target brightness in calibration

It appears as if the target brightness level of 90 cd/m is no longer possible on my Eizo CG211. In fact, for the past few months the calibration has been coming up with lower values each time. Today I was only able to get 75.6 out of it. Is this a sign that the monitor is on its way out? I can't...
  14. TRSmith

Can you reccommend a fool-proof camera?

Greetings! I hope you'll bear with me while I ask what might seem like a silly question. But there seems to be a million small point-and-shoots about which I know nothing. I am a volunteer for a local non-profit and have been providing graphic design and photography to them at no charge. My...
  15. TRSmith

Solid Beginner Portable?

Greetings! It's been years (30?) since I used strobes. Back then, it was a huge Norman power pack that weighed about 40 pounds and caused a brown-out whenever I plugged it in to the wall socket. Recently, I'm being asked to photograph at various locations and while I truly enjoy and prefer...
  16. TRSmith

Plug and Play for all those naked drives

I'm getting quite a collection of full/old hard drives that have been replaced with fresh ones over the years. I keep them all as a backup to the backup. They sit there, labeled and tidy in their static-free bags, waiting for that weird emergency that would require me to access them. Of course...
  17. TRSmith

Question for MAC users: Lion today?

I understand Apple's newest version of OSX—Lion—is going on sale today (at least here in the U.S.) Are you planning on installing it right away or will you wait and see? I haven't tracked this iteration's pre-release press enough to really know if there's a significant level of new...
  18. TRSmith

SOLD: M3, DR-50 Cron, 35 Cron "Goggled"

Greetings! I am posting these items on behalf of a friend. While I have not handled any of these items personally, I accept the owner's judgement that they are all in "excellent" condition in both form and function. I have no personal stake in this sale beyond trying to help a friend make the...
  19. TRSmith

Crop Tool in C1 Pro

This might have been discussed, sorry if that's the case. I love C1 Pro but have the darndest time with the crop tool. In every other type of software, to maintain the original aspect ratio when shrinking a bounding box or cropping, one simply holds the shift key while click/dragging the corner...
  20. TRSmith

What Leica lens is this?

A friend is gathering some Leica gear to sell. She sent me photos (too small for identification) and I am not familiar with this arrangement. It looks like a combination of lens and viewfinder. She has several examples. Here's one. Can you tell me what these are called and what the likely focal...