The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. G

Sean Reid's M9/MM/M240 Comparison

The actual sensitivity of a sensor is defined by sensel area (they "collect" photons during the exposure - 4x area -> 4x more photons) and quantum efficiency (basically translating light into electric current) - the signal can then be amplified (in an analogue stage or digitally) to the desired...
  2. G

M9 vs M(240) dynamic range

RED overrated their previous sensor-generation in a similar manner. They claimed a dynamic range of beyond 13 stops, rivaling their competitor. With a real scientific test setup and under real-world conditions it remained about 2 stops behind. 18 stops would result in a currency ratio of 2^18 =...
  3. G

M9 vs M(240) dynamic range

Dynamic range can be tested in various ways and leads to vastly different results. Stray light also affects the perception of dynamic range, dark areas are artificially brightened by the bright segments of the test setup. ARRI developed a professional DR-measurement setup which doesn't suffer...
  4. G

Olympus 43 glass can cover bigger frame

There are various parameters to determine or define the image circle. The most extreme is physical vignetting, but quite often the practical limitation kicks in earlier (at a lower image height) and is determined by MTF (how much contrast does the lens render at a given frequency). Quite often...
  5. G

Thoughts on mirrorless FF camera with interchangeable lenses in 2013?

They're still in an early stage and the cameras shown are just functional prototypes, so we propably have to wait for real DNG-files to play with till next year. Here is the only sample I could find... : M Sample Photo, High ISO | La Vida Leica! Too early to tell anything.
  6. G

By the way, the CMOSIS-sensor is a custom design for the Leica M down to the photosite-level. The M8/M9-sensors were just slightly modified by Kodak (offset microlenses, size, glass) just like Nikon or Fuji (CFA) just use slightly modified Sony-sensors. That's the point, Sony has the advantage...
  7. G

Nobody knows how the RX1 actually performs, yet. I have owned some Sony-flagship (expensive, made in Japan) products because they seemed to be outstanding on paper and they proved to be crippled, compromised and had several defects - and don't get me started with Sony customer service... Or is...
  8. G

According to the Sony-guys at PK there is only one functional RX1 around in the wild, the rest are just mock-ups and prototypes. The sensor cannot handle oblique light rays and the "Zeiss" 2/35 compensates for that with a huge rear element (~45mm in diameter) - so even most DSLR-mounts wouldn't...
  9. G

Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

We have wondered what kind of investor Ventizz actually is - I was on PK and seen the "new Hasselblad" and it was clear to me: It's the worst kind, greedy businessmen, shortsighted and stupid - when the first investors of this kind appeared about 20 years ago people couldn't believe that they...
  10. G

Mamiya 7 with Adox CMS20 compared with ...

Is SPUR developer more difficult to obtain outside Germany than Adox? I've had excellent results with Kodak Imagelink HQ and now want to switch to Agfa Copex + Spur Dynamicspeed 64 (Spur DSX) - it is meant to offer great DR and 64ASA! Everything beyond 100lppm is hardly usable in real-world...
  11. G

New Arca product 2012

Pff, small format cameras... LulF rules!
  12. G

Leica M9 Killer and why?

Leica needs a custom (or at least modified) sensor for the M-system to allow a large sensor with existing lenses. The underlying semiconductor-technology (CMOS or CCD) is not affected by this. The new camera presented on Photokina will have a M-mount AND a 24x36mm CMOS-sensor most likely...
  13. G

Anyone excited about the Hasselblad rumor and Photokina this year?

Thy Hy6 itself is the most advanced MF-system on the market and now is "reborn" - that's what people are excited about, not the "Mod 2". The H5D on the other hand plays it save, don't invest serious money into this business (still hoping an MF-EVIL will be developed and paid for by the new owner)...
  14. G

Sony RX1

There is certainly a market for a mirrorless full-frame solution but I guess the EVF-technology is not yet advanced enough to compete with the DSLR-systems (which has already changed in the APS-C-segment). So Sony starts with this compact camera!? IMHO, the lens-quality is critical, to really...
  15. G

"don't like it, don't buy it" That's the point, whatever your financial resources, need or preferences are, there is only Fuji/Mamiya - similar design approach and quality standard, a future Hasselblad-system (EVIL needs new lenses anyway) could be a vast improvement and Zeiss would be an ideal...
  16. G

@fotografz Fuji reached the quality of most Zeiss-designs of the 200/500-series - but these were old designs. But what if Zeiss would have gotten a chance to design entirely new lenses? In fact, I'm actually NOT happy with the performance of these older designs, people spending 40k$ on a...
  17. G

There are three possibilities: 1. No EVIL, just a minor upgrade of the H-system (80MP-sensor...) 2. EVIL but 80-90% sourced from Fuji 3. EVIL actually designed and made by Hasselblad, maybe even with new Zeiss-lenses Sadly, 2. is less likely than 1. and 3. even less likely than 2. ... For me...
  18. G

It propably happened like this - maybe some meetings defining basic possibilities, what's possible and what's not. But Hasselblad sending over optical designs to Fuji? I know that people got used to sloppy definitions of "made in" or "designed by" - a brand or just QC doesn't define quality...
  19. G

The issue here is the definition of "design" - Hasselblad gave the "requirements specifications": focal length, speed, size, price, usable for the central shutter (which is not made by Fuji) and certain quality requirements. Then Fuji designs and manufactures the lenses. Designing the optical...
  20. G

I think with adapting the very same lenses, quite decent DR-comparisons could be made in the real world (simply by choosing a contrasty setup), but for absolute measurements it takes a test setup that isn't affected by stray light: ARRI Group: Dynamic Range Test Charts Many cameras that were...