The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. S

Fun with the Leica M10-R

First, a headroom test: V1000506 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr
  2. S

Fun with Leica SL2

Vancouver BC, Christmas Market, SL APO-SC 35 U1000046 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr U1000042 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr
  3. S

Our favorite grocery store

Since it is in Tel Aviv, it is open on Shabbat, and has HUGE displays of fresh fruits, vegetables and spices (those are more visually interesting in the old-fashioned (suk) markets). This gives our equivalent of Christmas lights: L1008888 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr M10-D M24/2.8 asph...
  4. S

M10-D mini-review

Surprise! L1000647 1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr M10-D with 24/2.8 asph, ISO 10,000 In early August, I received an email asking if I would be interested in joining a beta test of a mobile app plus an unannounced and unidentified Leica product. Can't resist that. I struggled with a...
  5. S

CL vs Fuji X-T2

I've been shooting almost exclusively with my new Leica CL APS-C camera and its lenses for the past 2 months, but a photo opportunity last night fell outside of its range. Close quarters, low light levels and a need for autofocus -- this was a job for the Fuji 16/1.4! (The Leica lens...
  6. S

Fuji X2 vs Leica CL

I've been shooting almost exclusively with my new Leica CL APS-C camera and its lenses for the past 2 months, but a photo opportunity last night fell outside of its range. Close quarters, low light levels and a need for autofocus -- this was a job for the Fuji 16/1.4! (The Leica lens...
  7. S

Captyure One 11 out, supports all Leicas

The newest release came out a day or two ago. It's a paid upgrade from 9 or 10, but has new function -- including layers for local adjustments. It can handle new Leica cameras, like the CL, albeit with a generic profile. I've used it on some of the CL dng files that you can find on the web.
  8. S

What's new with the TL2?

Mods -- could you put up a link to https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2017/07/jono-slack-new-leica-tl2/?utm_source=170710en&utm_medium=E-Mail ? It's probably hosted on Jono's site, with a shorter url. He seems to like it, and the changes he mentions -- faster 32 GB write speed inside...
  9. S

Supermoon time

We have pretty clear skies tonight and the moon is overhead at a convenient time (10 pm), so I did a comparison of my SL with an APO Telyt 280/4 with an APO 2x extender against my new optically stabilized Fuji 100-400/4.0 - 5.6 on a Fuji X-Pro2. The Fuji has 24 MPx of APS-C image viewing...
  10. S

X-Pro2 and X-T2 firmware upgrades --

There is are X-Pro2 and X-T1 upgrades posted here. And the X-T2 firmware that was to be released at this time is now postponed to Nov 29. I hope that means bugs are being fixed. I've reported my intermittent bug (short-lived clouds of hot pixels) to Popflash and to Fuji's website. The...
  11. S

Capture One now supports Leica SL!

Capture One 9.1 (cost-free upgrade) was just released. You'll see a new profile for developing DNG files, "Leica SL Generic," which gives this (white-balanced with a click on the grey card at left): L1010864 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr instead of this (using the previous default "generic...
  12. S

Probably fraud alert

I recently won an EBay auction for a clean looking APO Summicron M 50 for an attractive price (below $5000). The listing showed the lens, its original box, the silk-lined jewel case that the lens comes in, its lens case, and caps. But the seller either didn't really have the lens, or just...
  13. S

Into the woods

It seems like this is a popular theme, and any Leica should fit. These are SL with Summilux 80: L1010806 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr L1010780 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr L1010814 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr L1010799 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr a rare iris L1010786 by scott...
  14. S

Working with the SL -- questions?

I realized today that autoISO doesn't work as simply in the SL as it did in the Ms. In A mode, when you have too little light to take a picture at the Max ISO and min shutter speed, an M further reduces shutter speed as long as it can provide a meter reading. The SL refuses to further reduce...
  15. S

Leica M[262]

I see in my email an announcement -- the rumor monitors who noticed that Leica had registered the trademark M[262] in Korea were right. From the material that is linked the idea is clear -- strip out the LV, strip out the video, forget the frame lever (sigh!) and reduce the price by 1000 EUR...
  16. S

GAS explained

The current Kirk Tuck blog post has explained it all. He quotes a book that reviews psychological tests showing how once you have purchased an object, it becomes your personal choice of object, and its perceived value (to you) is greater than the value of any similar or even identical object...
  17. S

Leica Elmarit 19-R or Super-Elmar 18-M on the M240?

There's some appreciative discussion over in the Sony 7r threads about the late model (1990 - 2006) Elmarit-R 19 mm lens, and examples shot with it look pretty nice. It's a thoroughly retrofocus lens, doesn't cause problems in the corners on the Sony (or with a Nikon D800E). But for the M[240]...
  18. S

Olympus or 3rd party BLN-1 batteries?

My experience with the $20 kit offering two BLN-1 equivalent batteries plus a charger and a souvenir lanyard was most likely a waste of the $20. The Olympus BCN-1 charger signals error when I try to charge them. I could fool it a bit, but didn't get a full charge. The Wasabi/Kappaken charger...
  19. S

more with the 75/1.8

Since the irresistable appeal of this lens has even drawn one of our most active posters into hat-consumption, I thought I would take it out for a stroll today and refresh my memory on its characteristics. First three examples of its traditional charms: and then...
  20. S

Purim

It's not really like Halloween, but has neat costumes, a very noisy religious service and takes over the schools here in Israel for a whole week, followed by some vacation. And it happens in February. Here are some examples of this morning's crew: The costumes get pretty elaborate...