The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. W

Do NOT use Sony Style for new purchases!

Great! Hope to see some pics from this lens and your comments on it's IQ.
  2. W

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras.... I think you nailed the focus pretty well. I like the look with the narrower DOF of the 1.4 so that there is more separation between subject and background. What I see is a natural loss of contrast due to coma which is normal with fast lenses at 1.4 especially...
  3. W

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras.... Congrats Douglas on your new NEX 5! Was the shot of the wifey wide-open?
  4. W

Brick Wall Lens Tests with the NEX

Jono, Any chance you could post a portrait shot taken with the 35 'Lux wide open on the NEX?
  5. W

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

Jonathon and Sebboh, I sent my two 28/2 Rokkors to Jim Buchanan to convert as they were a lot more complex to convert than the two 58/1.2 Rokkors which I converted myself. He did an excellent job converting them to Canon mount with proper infinity focusing and with pretty fast turnaround time...
  6. W

A list of lenses that have been tested on the NEX--good and bad!

Good to see people trying the old Rokkor 28/2 on theNEX. I have both 49mm and 55mm filter size versions and was planning on trying them out on a Nex when I buy one.I really like the lens on my 1ds3. Sharp wide open and great value since I got each copy for $200. 58/1.2 and 28/2 are my favorite...
  7. W

Best "non-Nex" Lenses

Ok, don't want you to get shot at. :eek: I thought people were pretty civil in this forum. :) I think comparison shots with the same framing/AOV is an accepted way to handle the difference between the FF sensor and a cropped sensor. They do that in the MF forum all the time. And upsizing the...
  8. W

Best "non-Nex" Lenses

Look forward to seeing how the 35 'Lux does on the NEX5 on some good proper English hedges. :D Is that the latest FLE version? Could you snap a similar AOV comparison shot with the M9 and 35 'Lux to see the difference in IQ between the two systems? That would be very interesting to see too.
  9. W

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras.... Thanks Terry, that is good to know that there is not excessive NR going on in the camera's jpeg engine. Here is a link Douglas sent me, http://www.hklfc.com/forum/?o=topic&act=show&id=48414&page=6 with some NEX shots taken with Leica M glass especially the...
  10. W

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras.... Jono, Those last few, especially the top of the wine bottle shot are very nice for 1600 and kit lens. Were these shots RAWs converted in Aperture of sooc jpegs?
  11. W

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras.... Sebboh, Thanks, for taking the time to do all this. I am surprised that there is not more difference. These pictures all are nice and sharp without the film I see over other NEX5 shots I have seen posted elsewhere. I see that these shots were taken at ISO 200...
  12. W

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras.... Sounds excellent! We nominate you to be the chief NEX interface guru/architect! :) Maybe you could whip these Sony designers into line like you did the Apple Aperture folks. Only 2/3 max EV on the bracketing. WTF! Luckily the camera has good DR.
  13. W

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras.... Processing pipeline/storage to flash engine probably can't keep up with writing RAW and JPEG for a 7 shots per second burst that is why they probably have you turn off RAW for HDR.
  14. W

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras.... Sebboh, Thanks! Pls. post more shots processed through Aperture. Although hard to tell with the lighting in these shots but it looks like all the fine detail smearing that I have been seeing done by the camera jpeg engine is gone and looks much better. Can you...
  15. W

NEX RAW for Mac seems to be out

Indeed! Maybe when he buys the NEX5, he can do a nice comparison between it and the M9 using the 35 'Lux and running both through Aperture. :thumbup:
  16. W

Do Legends Fall on Sony NEX?

Son, Glad you started a thread like this, very interesting. I have been trying to compare shots from Leica and Zeiss m lenses on M8,M9 vs. NEX 5 and find the M8,M9 shots are much sharper,clearer and with more detail then the NEX 5. Do you agree?
  17. W

Fun With Sony Cameras

Re: Fun with the NEX cameras.... Douglas, Have you seen ZM 35/2 shots posted yet which confirm your suspicions of corner smearing?
  18. W

Available adapters for NEX3/5 thread

John, You might want to try using thin metal tape to shim it instead of paper.
  19. W

Thanks for the link to your blog and the 28 lens test on the NEX5. Would be interesting to see how the Leica M8 or M9 compares in the corners using same lens but different camera platform comparisons are tough to do with all the different factors of RAW conversion and sharpening etc. I see a...
  20. W

Thanks very much John for all your work here. Quite a difference between the Leica and the Sony 18-55.Good to see that with a 40mm lens it doesn't smear the corners or borders. Volkerhopf, Because of the 1.5 crop factor I wouldn't expect that much vignetting even on the 28. Can you post some...