The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. biglouis

Gone a bit m43rds

Christmas came early for me, or rather I decided it would be foolish not to take advantage of 'winter discounts' here in the UK on Oly cameras and lenses, to trade in my Fuji X-H2S, XF100-400 and TC1.4x in for an Olympus OM-1 and Olympus 100-400f5-f6.3 zoom lens. The X-H2S/100-400 was my main...
  2. biglouis

Is Nikon about to out-Fuji, Fuji?

I truly hated the previous Nikon 'retro' cameras, mainly because they were early on in Nikon's mirrorless offerings and the APS-C version had pathetic lenses to go with it. In any case, the Fuji X-T3 I owned and the X-T4 I now own are beautifully made (not plasticky) retro-styled cameras...
  3. biglouis

Fujifilm 8mm f3.5

Anyone interested? I am quite tempted. I had the 8-16mm but as Andy Mumford maintains, an impractical lens to tote about (which is why I sold it). However, I miss the 12mm equivalent fov. I'm saving myself for the 150-600 but I may crack and get the 8mm instead. Andy Mumford, XF 8mmf3.5 review...
  4. biglouis

I'm quite glad my Pixel 7 Pro photos are just OK

Got myself the new Pixel 7 Pro the other day and it is the first time since my Huawei P20 Pro died that I have a smartphone that supports RAW. I sort-of expected that by now smartphone cameras and sensors would make something like my Ricoh GRIII - which I rely on for portability - redundant...
  5. biglouis

Smallrig X-H2S/X-H2 L Bracket

Smallrig have released a l-bracket for the X-H2/S form factor and I decided to get one for my camera (X-H2S). I already have one for the X-T4 which has proved very useful when I need to shoot with a tripod. The primary usp for me of the Smallrig is that it is several times cheaper than the Kirk...
  6. biglouis

Goodbye DFD?

Interesting teaser at Dpreview about new Lumix cameras changing from DFD to Phase Detect for the autofocus system. Personally, I loved the G9 body for wildlife and bitterly hated the DFD autofocus which seemed to focus everywhere except the subject that was in the frame, or decided to hunt back...
  7. biglouis

FFS, Adobe, just put back the 'Done' button

I can just imagine the discussion around the cappuccino machine in the break out room for the developers of Lightroom 12: Developer 1: "Dude, I've just had this rad idea about changing the user interface" Developer 2: "Pray, tell, O Special one. I am all ears!" Developer 1: "Well, it is sooooo...
  8. biglouis

Full frame Foveon - has the need passed?

I decided to post this here rather than the L mount forum in the spirit of the history that this sub-forum is where a dedicated and stubborn group of users used to post Sigma DPxM photos. IIRC we were a quirky bunch of owners who had a love/hate relationship with our Sigma cameras. This is the...
  9. biglouis

Photographing, restoring old black and white photos

I have a client who wants about a number of old black and white photos, stored in an album, converted to digital and restored. I have no problem with the photography part (I'll be using my Fuji X-T4 and Fuji XF80f2.8 macro to do it. However, I noticed that there are a couple of software...
  10. biglouis

Processing with DXO PureRAW 2

I've been trialling DxO PureRAW 2 (PR2) and in certain cases I have found it to be an advantage over my normal workflow. I thought I'd share some samples here. I am not related to the company, have no axe to grind and am not shilling. My workflow is normally RAW --> LR --> TopazAI products if...
  11. biglouis

Lightroom Classic - new masking tools

I updated my Lightroom Classic to the new version (11) yesterday which comes with enhanced masking tools. I had to admit I have never got to grips with masking in Photoshop and I was worried the new tools might be over-complex. They are not and in fact within a few minutes of experimenting I was...
  12. biglouis

Tempted, very tempted... GRIIIx

Gotta hand it to Ricoh. I think they are beginning to build momentum for the GR. My hand keeps on hovering over the pre-order button. https://petapixel.com/2021/09/08/ricoh-quietly-launches-the-gr-iiix-with-new-40mm-equivalent-lens/ 40mm equivalent fixed lens. Plus an adapter that increases it...
  13. biglouis

Add a dedicated Wildlife section

One area of photography which I think it would be interesting to make 'cross camera' is a dedicated section on wildlife. I'm not aware such a section exists on GetDPI (in case I have missed something please direct me to it). It is a popular genre and I would be interested to be able to see...
  14. biglouis

FS Fujfilm GF 45-100 f4 - Like new boxed complete - UK sale only

Selling my 5 month old Fujfilm GF 45-100 f4 for the GFX system. This is a 'like new' lens, looking in Lightroom I have only ever taken 185 photographs with it since I purchased it in December 2020. The glass is perfect, the front element was protected with a 82mm filter (not included) since...
  15. biglouis

XF 200mm f2 plus TC1.4x at all time low in the UK

I've been round and round on a decision over a dedicated prime wildlife lens over the last year or so because the one lens I would have liked to own I felt was massively over-priced: the XF 200 f2 with 1.4x TC. Park Cameras is currently selling them in the UK for £1900 off the current RRP of...
  16. biglouis

GF 100-200 or GF 250

Any thoughts from people who own both lenses? The main use would be wildlife portraits. Especially my local foxes. I do use my 45-100 at present but the 100 end is not long enough - although cropping in I still get fantastic detail. I would inevitably use either lens for some landscape and or...
  17. biglouis

Sigma DP3 Merrill - best of shots

I thought I would go back through my DP3 Merrill shots to see if I could improve any with the new TopazDenoiseAI software. However, I discovered I never really used the camera beyond base iso and therefore additional noise reduction software was not necessary. Anyway, seemed like a good excuse...
  18. biglouis

Is this the lens that will save Olympus?

You gotta hand it to Olympus. Just when everyone is expecting them to become a fond memory they come up with a monster wildlife lens in a compact package. https://www.dpreview.com/articles/9921022118/hands-on-olympus-150-400mm-f4-5-tc1-25x Too rich for my blood but the one additional piece of...
  19. biglouis

"If Carlsberg Did Cameras..." the Ricoh GR

I've written a blog piece about my seven years of using the Rioch GR and the successor GRIII cameras, likening them to "probably the best cameras in the world." The article also contains a link to a gallery of my top 100 images taken with Ricoh GR cameras since 2013.
  20. biglouis

FS Fujifilm GF 45mm 2.8 and Fujifilm GF 63mm f2.8 for GFX system (UK, Europe only)

1. Fujifilm GF 45mm f2.8 - also excellent (minty) condition with no dings, dents, glass scratched or discernible dust in the lenses GBP 800 + £20 Special Delivery in UK and £75 delivery to Europe. Purchased in September 2019 from Park Cameras in the UK. 2. Fujifilm GF 63mm f2.8 - excellent...