The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. P

Adventures in anamorphic stills

I've been wanting to experiment with anamorphic stills for a while. I lucked out and found an ISCO Ultra Star (blue) for $40. Here are some samples. The 45/1.8 is sharper because it's AF. The FD 35/2 shows some barreling and a bit of vignetting, but both of those can be removed in post...
  2. P

New scanner in the family

Picked up a Screen Cezanne a few weeks ago, and finally got it up and running on a G4 MDD. Sample shot taken with it compared to my V750 (100% crop; V750 adjusted to best focus height using betterscanning holders): Cezanne_V750 comparison by photosmart42, on Flickr
  3. P

Surprising scanning result

So when I got my Kodachrome slides back from Dwayne's, along with the CD of the scans they did, I was a bit disappointed to see the greenish tinge in all my images. I figured I was using expired film, and was happy enough to have had a chance to shoot the famous Kodachrome film before it went...
  4. P

In honor of Japan and it's people

Our hearts and thoughts and prayers are with you.
  5. P

Flatbed scanner film holder

So I'm happy using my V750, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to improve my 35mm scans by using something like a FH-835S holder from a Nikon scanner. The OEM holders on the Epson aren't all that great, and while I have the betterscanning holders for MF and LF, I'd like some options for...
  6. P

I'm in love!

Just took out my new-to-me F5 for a spin last night (still waiting for my lens boards to come in for my 45N-2), and it was magic! I can't believe how smooth and stable and fun to use this camera is! Put a roll of 400 T-Max and went out around the industrial district at night. This thing...
  7. P

Oh noes! What have I done!?!

Yup, I'm now into LF photography... Mint condition Chamonix 45N-2. Incredibly excited. Waiting on a lens board to go with the 150 Symmar-S that's coming in a few days, and I should be able to take some first test shots. Yay!! Cheers!
  8. P

high-end scanner question

I realize the answer is likely obvious, but I'm looking to make a smart decision in purchasing a high-quality scanner for my film activities. I'm looking in particular at the Nikon 9000 ED, the Minolta Multi Pro, the Imacon Flextight (X1), and something more exotic like a Creo Eversmart Pro II...
  9. P

Fuji FinePix X100

Now this looks interesting: http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp Wish it came with interchangeable lenses, but otherwise it's pretty much perfect (if the IQ is there). An M9 without the price tag perhaps?
  10. P

On assignment: Wide Angle

I finally got some level of wide angle capability on my GH1. Picked up an Olympus WCON-08B wide angle conversion lens, which turns the 14-140 into a 10mm in 16:9 aspect ratio. It's a bit soft around the edges, but it works. Not bad for $45. Feel free to post your own wide angle shots. Here...
  11. P

Thoughts on MF cameras

I'm looking to grab a reasonably inexpensive MF camera (<$500), but I'd like to use it primarily hand-held for street photography, with the occasional tripod shot - macro, product, landscapes, etc. I don't necessarily need it to have a built-in meter, and it certainly doesn't need to be AF, but...
  12. P

WTB: Epson 4990/V700

Looking to pick up either of these scanners. I'd prefer the V700 if it's priced reasonably (can get it new for about $480-500, so it would have to be less than that). If it'll reduce the price, I don't need the software or the negative carriers, but it absolutely has to be in working...
  13. P

Pro9000 II vs. B8850 vs. R1900

Does anyone have any experience with any or all of these printers? I'm looking to buy a printer I can use to print photos as gifts, to enter contests, or to sell. I've read a bunch of reviews online, and it seems the R1900 has slightly better color and sharpness, but it uses up more ink. The...
  14. P

On assignment: Death, Decay, & Disrepair

Post your photos depicting stuff that's dead, dying, or simply falling apart. Here's a few to get things started: Panasonic GH1 + Fujinon-EP 1:3.5/50 @f/11; 1/160s @ ISO100
  15. P

Flash/hot shoe question

So I'm looking to buy a TTL flash for my GH1 (probably a Metz 48) so I can bypass the 1/160 flash sync limit in HSS mode, but I'm wondering if there's a way to do that and still have the ability to trigger a non-TTL flash remotely for fill light, etc. (my Vivitar 285HV) without running into the...
  16. P

Happy Mother's Day!

A few roses for Mother's Day. Taken with my GH1 + Canon FL 55/1.2
  17. P

On assignment: wide open

I've been wanting to start a few topical threads for some time, so I'm finally getting around to it. This one is all about shooting your lenses at their maximum aperture, so let's see those big wide open irises =). Here's some I shot this morning: Panasonic GH1 + Canon FL 55/1.2 @ f/1.2...
  18. P

Need advice on film camera

I'm looking to buy a mechanical film camera as a backup to my digital camera. I don't need anything electrical aside from the metering, so the shutter has to be mechanical and has to work whether I have a battery of not. I'll be using it under the same conditions as my digital camera (and then...
  19. P

Adventures in pano stitching

I decided to try may hand at some panoramic stitching using my GH1. I figured out the nodal point of the 14-45 lens the night before using a macro rail. Using Photoshop CS4 to do the stitching. Here's my first attempt in San Diego harbor. I think it's not too bad. Panasonic GH1+14-45mm @...
  20. P

5D MkII as second body?

So I'm having some weird thoughts about maybe getting a 5D MkII as a second body to my GH1/GH2 to shoot wide angle cityscape/landscape, and perhaps also to do macro using the MP-E 65 lens. I kinda figured there may be enough people switching the other way to m4/3 cameras that prices may drop at...