The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. D

SF Bay Area large studio rental?

I'm looking for a place where I can shoot vehicles, something like this Santa Ana business: http://newbiestudios.com/home.html. Does anyone know of anything around here?
  2. D

Vivian Maier - An incredible story

A hitherto-unknown Franco-American woman leaves a legacy of over 100K negatives and hundreds of undeveloped rolls of film -- "discovered" days after her death. Lots of info branching out from this blog post. Many of the few images made public are incredible. Photography critics don't yet know...
  3. D

Any recommendations for custom lens work?

I have a Minolta 16mm 2.8 fisheye, which has four built-in filters that are selected by rotating a selector ring. I used to use one of the filters for B&W regularly, the other two less frequently but since going to digital all I use is the clear filter. Can anyone recommend a repair tech(prefer...
  4. D

Question about RRS plate with a900 VG

I have converted over to RRS, with the a900 L-plate, a lens plate for the APO, and one for the bellows. I recently picked up a VG and while I plan to use that for 99%+ handheld shooting, I don't want to have to remove it then attach the L-plate just to put it on a tripod occasionally. OTOH when...
  5. D

Ditched NEC 30", looking at Eizo 30"... any input?

My wife is a graphic designer and was looking to replace her Sony widescreen 1920x1200 CRT. She doesn't like the pixel pitch on LCDs, to get anything smaller than about .28 one has to look at 30" screens. We just finished packing up the NEC 30" for shipping back to B&H; it had a strong red...
  6. D

Eclipse Photography

Not mine, but intriguing. Here is the Eclipse Photos Homepage. Link to the Author/Photographer homepage at the bottom. Corresponding page and link to higher-res version Corresponding page and link to higher-res version Corresponding page and link to higher-res version Corresponding page...
  7. D

Question for those who have used both 135 STF & CZ 135 1.8

I'm eyeballing both of these lenses, and I don't think anyone would dispute the bokeh quality or sharpness of the STF. The greater versatility of the CZ lens is a big factor in the "pro" column, MF on the STF and relatively dim VF expected with the 4.5 T-value a big factor in the "con" column...
  8. D

Contax/Zeiss 135 2.8 conversion to a-mount

I purchased this lens already converted; one of the questions that I asked was whether it focused to infinity and with the assurance that it did I closed the deal. Turns out it doesn't. :( It focuses OK at about 150 yards when set to infinity. I have yet to take it apart and look for ways to...
  9. D

B&W conversions, suggestions please

I started playing a bit with B&W conversions, thinking to myself "how hard can it be?" Well, let's just say that now I know better than to ask that. :D Many of you may have gone through these steps so long ago that you may find this post slightly humorous; you are exactly the people that I hope...
  10. D

Focus Stacking, CS4 & Helicon Focus

I took a series of macro shots that I wanted to use try my hand at focus stacking. Obviously the best way to do this would be to use a focus rail and tripod on a perfectly static subject, but since that's not always possible I decided to do a test under non-optimal conditions. I went ahead and...
  11. D

Would you scarifice a lens, and maybe a camera, to get this shot?

Amazing shot... http://gizmodo.com/5372241/this-insane-photo-destroyed-a-camera-lens
  12. D

DxO - Lightroom integration questions

I'm looking for info on the "Option 2" workflow described here. I have downloaded and studied the PDF mentioned on that page and it looks like this approach is the only way to get what interests me: Have DxO perform RAW conversion/denoise rather than Adobe Camera Raw Use LR for Ranking...
  13. D

Introduction - New Member, new to DSLRs

Hello all, new member here though I've been lurking for a bit. This is an edited re-post from another forum that some of the people here may browse on occasion; those of you that have seen most of this info before please bear with me. :) I figured I would introduce myself and then move on to...