The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. M

New: Raw Developer 1.9

RD 1.9 is ready for download on their site. Anyone tried it? Anyone using RD and Lightroom or Photoshop? If so, what's your workflow? Thanks, Mitchell
  2. M

Please Help-Monitor Color Temperature

I have been trying mightily to get a match between what I see on my Apple Cinema monitors, and what comes out of my Epson 3800 printer. I bought a Colormunki to calibrate my monitors and printer. With some help from X-rite support (they were great, actually answered the phone 3 times, and...
  3. M

Is Sandisk Extreme 8 GB HD Video OK for M9

I ordered Extreme IIIs. Amazon sent Extreme HD Videos. Is this a problem or should I keep them. Thanks for any help. Best, Mitchell
  4. M

Future Platform for R Lenses?

I'm sure this is a subject that's been kicked to death, but I couldn't find a thread on it. I have some nice R lenses 180/2.8 Apo, 100macro, 280/4 Apo. Is there going to be a digital platform other than DMR, Nikon, etc., i.e., a new R compatible platform? I'm thinking of selling an M8, and the...
  5. M

iPad as Nikon raw image storage device

Has anyone used an iPad to store raw images from a D700? Or a Leica M 8? I'm thinking of getting an iPad. Best, Mitchell
  6. M

Apple Trackpad With Desktop?

Has anyone tried the Trackpad with their MacPro? Is it an improvement over a mouse, or is it too imprecise for Photo Processing? Thanks, Mitchell
  7. M

Underwater Camera

I have a dream: I'm suspended weightless in warm clear water, the hot sun beats on my back. This winter I'm determined to actually live it. I want a camera for snorkkling, not diving. Something simple. Point and shoot. preferably with manual operation. I already have a Ricoh Gr, but I don't...
  8. M

Big Sensor Pocket Camera?

A friend of mine is taking some very nice shots with an iPhone, but wants something better. 1. He wants the option of selective focus, i.e., small depth of field so he needs a larger format sensor, 35 mm being ideal. I don't think he needs more than 10 mp, better to have large pixels. 2. He...
  9. M

Snow Leopard

The update for the Mac operating system, Snow Leopard is going to be released on Friday. Supposed to run a lot faster. Will Photoshop and LightRoom work on it? I'm assuming not until Adobe updates them. Anyone know? Best, Mitchell
  10. M

How to Import LR Catalogue and Referenced Files?

I've taken the plunge and bought a new Mac Pro. How do I Import big, 1500 and 8000 images, LightRoom Catalogues with Referenced Files from my MacBook and G5? I have Martin Evening's instructions to Export the Catalogue to an external hard drive, and Import from there to the new Computer. But...
  11. M

Specs for a new Mac Pro

I'm looking to replace my Mac G5 with a 8 Core Nehalem Mac Pro. I shoot MF and 35mm digital. I use LightRoom 90% of the time with a bit of Raw Developer, and PS3. I don't do a lot of other things like iTunes, etc. I do read the news on the web. I'm figuring on getting 16 GB of memory from OWC...
  12. M

Help With LightRoom Please

OK I was an idiot. Filing, organization, and naming consistency were for sissies. I accumulated 8,000 mages organized like a teenager's bedroom. I saw the light and worked mind numbingly for a few weeks getting folders in order on my G5. Today was going to be a big day in the annals of...
  13. M

Telephoto for D700?

I just bought a D700. Amazing camera. I want to shoot Ospreys and other birds flying. I'm thinking of a 400mm and the possibility of using 1.4x or 1.7x extenders for it. Is AS-F II much improvement over AS-F I? It seems a Wimberly head is the way to go for panning flying birds. Does VR help...
  14. M

Any way to get Info off Display?

My new D700 is a marvel, sometimes too much of one. I'd like to make some things more simple. Is there anyway to view my images with no written info? No numbering on the image itself? Just to get a look at the composition I've taken with no distractions? Would greatly appreciate help to end...
  15. M

New Nehalem Mac Pro

http://store.apple.com/us (For those of us who have extra money lying around.) Best, Mitchell
  16. M

D300 or D700 For Birds?

I've never had an autofocus weather resistant SLR, and I think it's about time. My main reason for getting one would be birds and wildlife. In the D300's favor is longer reach with the same lens, i.e., a 300 mm acts like a 400 mm giving a cheaper lighter kit. In the D700's favor is better...
  17. M

How Do You Travel With Your Amazingly Expensive MF Camera and Lenses

I have a nifty foam lined case that came with my new Hy6, but it's too big for carry-on. Do you ship your camera ahead, check it (gulp), or carry them on in a soft case, and worry that the football player next to you cramming his bag into the overhead is crushing it. With my M8 this is not...
  18. M

Any Experience with Ulsaker Studio?

I'm shopping for MF. Living in Maine, Ulsaker in Conn. is one of the closest dealers. Micheal Ulsaker seems quite knowledgeable. Anyone with experience with this dealer? Thanks, Mitchell
  19. M

New Leica S system, 37 megapixels SLR

The Leica Digital Forum has a link to flickr photo page that shows the new Leica S system. Looks like a 35mm SLR, no back. 37 megapixels 30x45 mm sensor weatherproof seals autofocus faster than Hassey 9 focal plane and leaf shutter lenses, including 24mm and 30mm tilt shift records in DNG...
  20. M

Hy6 and DOF Preview

About a week ago Steve Hendrix gave me the chance to use a Hy6 and a H3D. Echoing everyone else, I think Steve is great and it was good to meet him in person. Unfortunately, I didn't like the ergonomics of the H3D which seems not aimed at using a Waist Level Finder. Aside from the lack of...