The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. kwalsh

Bad news for anyone trying to avoid 75mm f1.8

Well the Olympus is a heck of a lot smaller than the Samyang not to mention sharper with better microcontrast at 1.8 than the Samyang as well. So it is more than JustnAF really. Ken
  2. kwalsh

LUMIX G5

I really don't think anyone should be comparing the G5 and the E-M5. The G5 is a mid-range model, the E-M5 top of the range. Street price is going to be a factor of two different between them. Something like the G5 is competing with the Pen line. If you want to "stay loyal" I'd wait for the...
  3. kwalsh

LUMIX G5

That's a good point. Having not shot the G3 myself I can't comment on the handling issues, but that can be a make or break kind of thing for a camera. So if the G5 is just a better handling G3 that could be a big improvement itself. I have read people annoyed by G3 handling but not thrilled...
  4. kwalsh

LUMIX G5

The G3 has been one of the very best m43 values for awhile now (not that I own one, I'm the sucker marketers love who will pay a lot for little marginal benefit so I went the GH2 followed by the E-M5 route). I'm not sure they needed to do that much to the G5 as the G3 was already a solid...
  5. kwalsh

Sony does micro 4/3

I certainly enjoyed the multi-aspect sensor on my LX3 and GH2. That said, both cameras stayed on 4:3 most of the time. I find it a better starting point than 3:2, most of my output is 5:4, 7:5 or occasionally 1:1 and starting at 4:3 is better than 3:2 in all of those cases. Don't shoot 16:9...
  6. kwalsh

Sony does micro 4/3

I'm not following the menu complaints on the E-M5. Yes there is a lot in there for customization but after that I'm rarely if ever in the menus. The SCP controls essentially everything you'd use normally!
  7. kwalsh

Panasonic 14-45 on OM-D E-M5?

I've done the same test (14 prime vs. 14-45) and as you say they are nearly equivalent. Besides minor variances at different apertures you'll also find minor trade-offs in the region of the image inspected (softer edges traded for sharper center). In the end it is a wash - at least with my two...
  8. kwalsh

Panasonic 14-45 on OM-D E-M5?

The only annoyance would be that Olympus doesn't do automatic CA correction like Panasonic. If you shoot RAW and process in LR either using a lens profile or just the automatic CA correction this isn't an issue. If you shoot JPEG only this is more of a bother, you'll suddenly notice CA on the...
  9. kwalsh

OMD Spare batteries

FlyPenFly and Henning - before the walls get stinky from a pissing contest, you might be talking past each other... Batteries don't randomly alter their voltage and there are excellent regulation circuits in the cameras. The chances of a generic battery "glitching" its voltage is somewhere...
  10. kwalsh

Official Olympus 75mm f1.8 images here

An important note on this for others: Check out the link even if you have before, there is a fourth portrait sample that is new. This same link had three images back at announcement and was posted a lot of places, sometime in the past day or so they've added a fourth sample image. Ken
  11. kwalsh

Comparo: Pan 14-45mm, Oly 12-50mm & Oly 14-42mm 4/3rds

Thanks Rich! Out of curiosity, what aperture were these at? Also, wow the 12-50 does not look very good at all! I know the 14-45 is darn good, but something seems off with the 12-50. I'd say maybe slightly out of focus, but actually the center is much better than the edge - almost like their...
  12. kwalsh

Filters, Filters, Filters! Advice needed

As far as scenes and photographs go they are identical in their effect. So you wouldn't choose one over another for any creative reason. You just need to use a circular for a DSLR and you could use either with mirrorless. Ken
  13. kwalsh

You need a circular polarizer for most DSLRs with mirrors in them. As you mention a linear will give you problems with AF and/or metering in a DSLR. This is because the partially transmissive mirrors that are used to split the optical path for the AF sensor and the OVF/metering are effectively...
  14. kwalsh

The LB Color Combo is a breathtakingly expensive filter with very little point in digital. The warming aspect is not useful for digital and only meant for film. The "intensifier" aspect can have a subtle effect in digital not strictly possible to achieve identically in post-processing but from...
  15. kwalsh

OMD Spare batteries

They have a different maximum charging voltage. Some tear-downs and measurements of the voltage discharge profiles show the generics to likely be using a different lithium cell chemistry than the original Olympus. That's the most likely reason the generics are not compatible with the Olympus...
  16. kwalsh

Panasonic 14-45mm versus Olympus 12-50mm on E-5M

Really? I don't see that at all. The shirt and hair are definitely not that sharp. I'd say it looks a lot like the OPs copy. And the OPs copy compared to the 14-45 is matching what the tests of both lenses have shown. The 14-45 is known for excellent sharpness across the entire frame at the...
  17. kwalsh

The 75mm f1.8 gets a price - $899

One thing about the 75 is that in the Olympus samples, and now DPR has also noted based on their pre-production copy, there is very little "axial CA" in out of focus areas (yes, I know CA is technically not defined outside the plane of focus - but that is the vernacular in the photo world for...
  18. kwalsh

Did anybody use these lenses on the OM-D?

For the top three you'll get distortion correction but not CA correction. I've not put my 7-14 on yet, but for the 14-45, 45-200, 20, 25, and 14 it seems to work as expected. I have no idea about the 4/3 lens. Ken
  19. kwalsh

Olympus OM-D whirring noise

I have normal hearing, it is trivial to hear it in a quiet room with the camera held at arms length. Very obvious when using the EVF. It is band-limited white noise, like a small fan or hard drive as some have described. Very inoffensive and not really distracting (to me at least) and...
  20. kwalsh

Olympus OM-D discussion

7-14 is an amazing zoom. Sits among one of the best UWA zooms in any format. It you insist on being a "prime guy" the Rokinon/Samyang 7.5 fisheye is amazingly sharp, so much so that it "de-fishes" extremely well. But yes, if you are looking for something like the equivalent of a Zeiss 21 on...