The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. J

D850

Just lovely Steen - reminds me of Chefchaouen in Morocco. JT
  2. J

One body, one prime -- your thoughts

Df + Sigma 35 for me. Though I've been using my Nikon 28 f1.8 more and more of late. Still lean 35 though. Mind you, will have to pry the 105 f1.4 off the Df first - now there's a fantastic combo. :clap: Thanks for this thread, Jack -- taking my first trip to Vietnam in Dec and already...
  3. J

Nikon 105 f/1.4 -- Yummy !!!

Sorry in advance for quality, but nonstop travel lately, no time for processing - this is a barely touched jpeg. Out for a walk with my eldest on a cold Austin morning, hadn't seen her in months and months. Literally the first time I had used the 105 f/1.4 , basically stuck it on my Df and...
  4. Austin Walk

Austin Walk

Just walking through Austin, TX on a cold morning, first time out with the Nikon 105mm f1.4 on my Df, literally a grab shot
  5. J

Nikon 105 f/1.4 -- Yummy !!!

Just went through the exact same calculus with the same set of lenses. Have a much beloved set of portraits of my family taken with the 85mm F1.4D (one of my "never sell" lenses). Love the 85mm f1.8 as well, especially portability. But recently became intrigued with the new 105 .... have an...
  6. J

Fun with the RX-1R II

Strong thoughts your way, Vivek! I'm heading in this AM to see one of my patients whom I sent for the exact same surgery yesterday, plan is get her out of bed today. It's a bread and butter procedure these days, I'll bet you'll do great. Looking forward to your return, likely soon! :thumbs: JT
  7. J

D810 on the way - now what?

That is wild. Funny coincidence , we just left 29 Palms/Joshua Tree a day early - combo of wicked cold and this crazy wind. Our campground was engulfed in sand though I did get a cool edge of a dust-tinged sunset- with my RX1R II though.:p JT
  8. J

Fun with Nikon Images

Lovely image -- I'm off for a few days in Joshua Tree NP and then to visit relatives, looking forward to giving my new 85 f/1.8 it's first serious workout. JT
  9. J

Fun with the RX-1R II

Thanks Vivek, Funny you should mention AF-C, I almost *never* shoot in that mode, so your advice is well taken! Unfortunately for me, work stole most of my shooting time in NYC, but I'll get back there... JT
  10. J

Sony RX1rII and Nissin i40 Incompatible

I concur re: the Nissin, but don't mind using it with just the LCD. The little Sony HVL-F20M does fit fine, however and does a nice job indoors. JT
  11. J

Fun with the RX-1R II

Nice shooting, Joe. As the mother of a now grown ballerina, love the studio shot. One of the things I loved about my Rx1R was how "non-threatening" and really unobtrusive it was, a big advantage in kiddie photography. Having the ability to take such quality photos literally in a jacket...
  12. J

85mm 1.8G users - advice?

Well, I haven't sold it yet (bad habit of holding on to things I don't use). In my hands, I have never been happy with it as more of a multi-purpose mid-tele. Portraits yes, everything else not so much. So I went ahead and picked up an 85 f1.8G - didn't get much shooting time with it as my NY...
  13. J

Fun with the RX-1R II

Hah, no harm no foul - I immediately assumed you were used to IBIS. Man, I haven't hand held a camera at slower than 1/60 since I can remember and usually try to stay at 1/125 or above. Appreciate the help! JT
  14. J

Fun with the RX-1R II

Vivek, About to land in NYC for a scant 36 hours, hope to do some night shooting with the Rx1rII for the first time - care to share some shooting tips? I never had the chance to shoot with my RX1r with holiday lighting before! I'm enough of an old timer that I still hesitate before pushing...
  15. J

Different beast the Zeiss (and def want AF) - I have the Zeiss 21 f2.8 ZF2 - fantastic lens. And yes, something to be said for the excellent "bang for the buck" with the 1.8G!
  16. J

LOL, Lars. Jack! You are always my enabler. :ROTFL: You have all summed up my tortured path well, at least I am not alone. I really do want to "modernize" my 85mm option. And I do have a weak spot for Nikon's "special" lenses, took me a long time to save for that original 85mm 1.4D. One...
  17. J

Hi all, So I have come close to buying this lens half a dozen times and I'm tiring of the dance. I'll be in NYC at the end of the week and B&H beckons. :D I have had the 85mm f1.4D for 10+ years and used it on film and digital (pretty much only for portraits). I'm looking for a nice...
  18. J

Fun with the RX-1R II

Yup-- that's the amazing thing, you can take it anywhere and it can be used nearly effortlessly if you wish :D . I don't think I have ever reviewed the results of a walk around with my Rx1R without at least one "whoa" shot. Took my Rx1RM2 for a walk in the Saguaro Natl Forest for awhile today...
  19. J

Fun with the RX-1R II

Enjoy, Vivek - it is really a fantastic carry-anywhere camera. My Rx1rM2 arrives later today! JT
  20. J

Rx1r2

I ordered several other things with it - they all have tracking numbers as of this AM. But the Rx1rII says "In stock, order sent to warehouse". My guess is they are sticking to the 25 Nov ship date. JT