The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. T

Can Anyone Measure Epson 7890 Shortest Side 4 Me?

Hi, Epson 7890 owners! I am considering either an Epson 7890 or 7880 and need to know if I can get it into my loft! I have converted my roofspace into a loft office, but access remains via ladder and hatch. Getting a large printer in there may be impossible. Can anyone please tell me the...
  2. T

New Photo Series: Welsh Slate

I've just started working on a larger body of work centred around Welsh slate mining. This first series was shot ten days ago in one short foggy day, when I had been expecting just to conduct a recce of the area to refresh my memory, after more than ten years away. You can read more about it...
  3. T

How R U former MM1 and now M246 Shooters Getting Along?

For those of you who have upgraded to the M246 Monochrom from the Mk1 M9 based camera, how are you getting along? Pleased, delighted, ambivalent, or regretful? In particular, how are you getting on with image quality, files in post processing, the look of the files (low ISO and high ISO)...
  4. T

Pentax 645Z Review with Samples

Dear GetDPI'ers, after waxing lyrical about this camera in a couple of posts and posting links to my May Iceland portfolio, I finally completed my review so you can see why I have been so impressed. Pentax 645Z Review & Opinion: Part 1 Its quite lengthy, not very technical and very much...
  5. T

Hasselblad V lenses on 645Z/D? Experience?

Hi everyone, I am looking to close off some lens gaps in my new Pentax 645Z system and I am curious about adapted Hassy lenses (particularly the 60mm Distagon CF/CFE and 110mm f3.5 Planar CF/CFE. I'm loving the 28-45 and 75mm and would like something in the middle. The 45-85 Zoom may be the...
  6. T

Pentax 645Z in Iceland

I recently completed editing of a portfolio shot in Iceland this May (my second trip), using the Pentax 645Z exclusively. I thought presenting sharing these images might be useful to any prospective or undecided 645Z buyer, because my work is B&W and I come from a darkroom/film background. I am...
  7. T

Iceland Portfolio May '15

I have just completed my latest black and white portfolio, which comprises of images from around the country. I was just about able to complete a circuit, despite the worst/latest winter in decades preventing spring from taking root! You can read about the trip here, see a more images and...
  8. T

Sony A7R vs Leica Monochrom: 35 & 50mm

Hi All, I could not resist comparing them seeing as I have both cameras with me in the same country at the same time for the first time! I'm just looking at resolution (with lenses of course) to see how a 18MP bayerless sensor compares to 36MP colour Sony. I was a little surprised by the...
  9. T

Interview with M9 and Monochrom Photographer

I have just completed an interview with Leica M9 and Monochroom shooter, Jonathan van Smit, whose flikr stream has received over 7 million views. He has used many types of cameras over the years, but is happiest with Leica rangefinders. When you look at his shots, its perhaps fairly obvious...
  10. T

Interview with Photographer Shaun O'Boyle

Hi Everyone, I just completed an interview with Shaun O'Boyle, who at least currently is shooting with a Sony A7R with Sony and Canon lenses. He's a Massachusetts based photographer and architectural designer and very possibly a member here. The images are not only an inspiration, but his...
  11. T

Canon Banding and Nik Dfine 2

I've been tempted to give Canon the boot due to the banding problems I have encountered when lifting deep shadows (which seems to be necessary when shooting cityscapes at night with 11.7 stops of DR). My 5D II was awful and while my 5D III is better, its still a problem than needs fixing if I am...
  12. T

Canon EF 50m f1.2 L Review

This lens is not new, or universally regarded as magnificent, but I have bought one and tested it here: Canon EF 50mm f1.2 L Test: Legend or Lemon? Going into ownership I knew that there was some significant negative press on the internet and some issues to watch out for. I figured some of the...
  13. T

Ricoh GR: Absolutely Brilliant...

I know there are various reviews and comments on the current GR, but I bought one before a big trip to Iceland and have been bowled over by its performance in so many areas. I have written three short articles on it starting with this one (Ricoh GR: Better than a DSLR or Leica M?). Lens...
  14. T

Iceland Trip Shot with Sony A7, A7R, Ricoh GR

Nine days on the South coast of Iceland. Conditions were severe a lot of the time (gales, hailstorms, sleet, snow, rough seas with constant spray all in one day at one spot!) and the four hours of decent daylight meant not wasting too much time driving during the day. I shot the lot on a Sony...
  15. T

A6000 performance with Sony FE lenses

Considering the very low price of the A6000 I have been considering getting one, to give a body I can interchange with my FF A7 and A7R, but which serves two purposes: 1. I can use it with the 70-200G to get an effective 300mm, so more reach. 2. I can use it with the new 16-35 f4 OSS to cover...
  16. T

Sony Lens Quality Control Terrible?

Hi All, I am not a pixel peeper. In 17 years I have sent back five new lenses with big problems (optical and mechanical), but I am finding that Sony's quality control is just appalling. The five lenses I have sent back before Sony, are explained as below: Canon 24 f1.4 L II (would not focus...
  17. T

Have your equipment choices 'evolved'?

I started out with 35mm film, moved up to MF and ended up using quite a bit of LF. After ending up in Afghanistan in 2006, sticking my head under dark cloths appealed less and less and so I went back to 35mm and brought in a Mamiya 7 rig for large scenics. I've shot on Holgas and all sorts...
  18. T

ZM 18mm F4 on A7R - Corner Quality?

Hi All, I shoot mostly B&W and own a Monochrom and A7R and would like a circa 18mm lens for both ideally. I am happy to use cornerfix to sort colour issues out on the A7R for colour images, but as the majority of images will be in B&W, I am most interested in corner smearing. I have heard the...
  19. T

Sony FE 28-70 'Kit Lens'

I was so pleased with the A7R that I got an A7 (with kit lens) to go with it. now I have electronic first curtain, a back up, greater tolerance to handheld slow speeds etc. I got the kit lens deal because with the decentered 35 Sonnar I returned, I wanted a native lens for a forthcoming...
  20. T

35 FE Sonnar - Decentering. Who else?

I just got mine and I am really annoyed. It has very obvious decentering (top right corner never gets as sharp and whole right side is weak). This is not pixel peeping, this is downright mushy. Who else has had this problem? Also, where? In all the samples I have seen with the 35 Sonnar where...