The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. DHart

Two body/two lens kit

I find far more utility with short lenses than with very long lenses. That said, I've been thinking about what two lenses might make for a good two body/two lens walk-around kit. (A fast prime or two can always be close at hand, as well, for those opportunities where they are the best option.)...
  2. DHart

m4/3 portrait set-up - hail the 45/1.8!

I have earned my living as a portrait photographer for many years. And I've used Canons with L-lenses for that. (5DMkII in recent years). I jumped into m4/3 a couple of years ago... just for the fun of it... as a personal camera system. Over the last two years my GF1 and 20 and 14-45 were...
  3. DHart

GH2 and the 45-200 - meet the neighbors

I just received my 45-200 today. I don't expect that I will probably use this lens that much, but the price was very reasonable and having a 400mm equiv. seemed like a potentially useful focal length, on occasion, for me. A couple of images from wandering my property today.... of the pack of...
  4. DHart

Using legacy glass w/magnified manual focus on Oly cameras

I know the in-camera IS on the Pens is good for use with legacy lenses, but I am curious to know just how easy it is to use these lenses on Oly m4/3 cameras. Obviously, using magnified manual focus is something one might want to use almost every time one focuses with legacy glass. How quick...
  5. DHart

New LX5 in da hood.... whoo hoo!

I just got the LX5 yesterday and decided to capitalize on its small sensor's wonderfully deep DOF that, in cases like this, comes in very handy indeed. There are many times when I'm doing product shots for eBay etc. that need deep DOF and I have a heck of a time getting that with my 5DMkII...
  6. DHart

XZ-1 RAW IQ rivals GF1 RAW (m4/3) ?

It would appear that the RAW output of the XZ-1 at least rivals that of the GF1 m4/3 with the stellar Lumix 20mm f/1.7. Can this be? Has Olympus, by virtue of the Zuiko lens quality and small camera sensor improvements, brought the XZ-1 to m4/3's door step? Olympus XZ-1 Review: 11. Compared to...
  7. DHart

As a m4/3 shooter, do you also find a need for...

a camera like a ZS7, LX5, or XZ-1? I'm well set-up with a Canon 5DMkII system (used for work) and a well-rounded m4/3 system as well (GH2, GF1 and nine lenses, or so.) I have a ZS3 that I bought for those times when I just wanted a really small, lightweight, capable little camera for casual...
  8. DHart

Anyone here tempted by the NEX?

The sensor sure appeals to me, but little else about the camera appeals as much to me as the m4/3 system. If Sony had made the body slightly larger (the lenses have to be big anyway, so why such a miniature body?) then they could have incorporated a nice EVF option, which is sort of a must...
  9. DHart

Cases, cases, cases... show your m4/3 case!

Cases, cases... good options for a LARGE m4/3 kit? I'm sure most of us who have been at this photography thing for awhile have a good bunch of various DSLR camera cases, all suitable at one time or another, but most never seeming to be just right for our latest m4/3 "kit". That's the spot I'm...
  10. DHart

Are the 25/.95 and 20/1.7 different enough...

I have the 20/1.7 and love the lens. Have been considering getting a 25/.95, and while I would appreciate the extra speed and focus isolation at times, I wonder if the difference might not be quite enough to make having both lenses practical? I would appreciate hearing the views of those who...
  11. DHart

Weight limit for legacy lens mounted on GH cameras?

I have on order a Contax Planar 85mm f/1.4 lens which weighs about 21 oz. (595 grams). I'm not sure of the lens adapter weight (Fotodiox?) but I think it may be about 4 to 5 oz., bringing total weight (without a lens hood) to at least 25 to 26 oz. I am planning to use the lens with the...
  12. DHart

If the GH1 is the upgraded G1, then...

will there be a G2 and a GH2? Or wouldn't the Gx line be terminal and the next iteration be the GH2 and so forth? (My understanding is that the GH1 is basically a G1 with video added and that's the main difference.) In other words, would Panasonic would bring out a G2 and a GH2? Does that...
  13. DHart

m4/3 Forums

I don't know if this is a taboo subject, but I'm sure we're all interested in keeping this forum (and others) thriving with our m4/3 love interest... It seems to me this may be the most active m4/3 forum, or is it? I think this is an awesome forum, but, m4/3 glutton that I am, I would like...
  14. DHart

GH1 vs GF1

Not long ago I bought a GF1. I love the camera and the IQ is great for such a small package. But it's been winter and I've seen few sunny days when using the camera. Today I went out into a sunny day to take some pictures and of course encountered the difficulty of using the display screen as...
  15. DHart

Pentax 135mm Takumar - good lens with GF1?

I considering picking up my first legacy glass for use with my GF1: -Pentax Takumar 135mm f/2.8 (K- mount) or -Pentax SMC Takumar 135mm f/3.5 (M42 screw mount) Can anyone advise on the IQ one might expect with either of these lenses? Also, might a lens such as this be a bit too heavy...
  16. DHart

Fun with the Lumix 14-45mm lens...

PLEASE ADD YOUR FAVORITES WITH THE 14-45. I rarely see anyone praising this workhorse of a lens. Between the 20 and the 14-45, I find myself using the 14-45 the most. So I thought I'd start a thread on praise of this wonderful, versatile lens so it doesn't feel left out of the party. ;)...
  17. DHart

New GF1 member checking in... having fun with this lil bugger!

Some snaps with the new image making toy. This little camera is rekindling my passion for the photography hobby. I have the 14-45 and the 20. These were with the 14-45. I'm goin' crazy with the itch for the 7-14.... oh man, can't wait, but $1000+... OUCH! This old truck lives on my property...