The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. T

Olympus Image Share

Is there anyone who can give me tips on how to improve my chances of getting a connection from my em5 mkiii bodies and my Android tablets? I seem to get there in the end - but after too many attempts to make me want to use it with a client watching me struggle. Any clues please? Tony London UK
  2. T

Has anyone had to repair the battery lid on an e-m5 mk2

Yesterday the black lever fell off. Luckily on a light coloured carpet. Had I been shooting outdoors it would have been going home and abandon the job time. Google struggles to suggest a source for a new lid but does say that, once found, they are easy to fit. I wondered if anyone had tried...
  3. T

e-m5 mk2. How often do folk use Manual and Lever 2?

I shoot quite a lot of theatre productions. I use Manual all the time as I find Auto Exposure gets too confused by the lights on the stage. Up to now I have been setting what I felt was an ASA that would cover me for the dimmest lit scenes - and adjusting the speed/aperture as the lighting...
  4. T

IR using standard sensor on e-m5 mk and r72 filter

Thought I might give this a try as my New Year challenge. I meant mk 2 of course. More haste, less accuracy!! Has anyone around here produced tolerable results? I'd shoot RAW and convert in Qimage - but the first step is to establish whether I'd be wasting my time and money buying the r72...
  5. T

Beware when setting Manual focus on the DP1. A cautionary tale.

And this could be the same on the 2 and 3. Of course the gurus around here will already have been there and got the t shirt. I did not realise that the lens could be set beyond infinity. The infinity mark is inset a bit to the left and not at the extreme end of the scale - because that is...
  6. T

Has anyone had a soft 12-40 f2.8?

Over the last month I have shot several jobs with my zoom and several with 1.2 primes. Most posts enthuse about the 12-40 f2.8 Pro Post processing my RAWS from two of those jobs yesterday made me wonder whether I have a bad 12-40. I am wondering whether to get another one as the prices are...
  7. T

Panasonic 20mm 1.7 - anyone using it these days?

Another forum I follow has just started a thread about pancakes. A search around here does not produce much sign of them being used. Is the feeling, here anyway, that they are not really up to mustard when one can get (albeit bigger and more expensive) alternatives? Would any of you GetDPI...
  8. T

Anyone moved from the 7-14 f4.0 to the f2.8 ?

My 2.8 7-14 was the first lens I bought when I moved to m43. I used it a lot and loved it. I tend to use my faster lenses these days. I know that 2.8 is only one stop faster but has anyone made the move around here and feels it was a good/bad decision? I ask now as, if I am to do the swop...
  9. T

Can someone explain HDR on the 5 mk 2 ?

Please. I have to do a shot that requires as much detail as possible. The manual talks about 40 megapixel files and I'd love a RAW one of those. I am not worried about compressing dynamic range which is where I have used bracketing which is combined in post processing. The manual speaks of...
  10. T

Does the EM5 Mk2 RAW need more sharpening than the Mk1 ?

As above. Or maybe I could change the word 'need' for 'encourage'. Please can you keep your answers to the EM5 range. I already read there are differences with the EM1 - it is the EM5s that I am referring to. Tony London UK
  11. T

Compact hood style viewfinder for Samsung S4 phone.

I am fed up with struggling to use the camera in sunlight on my Samsung S4. This morning I got a couple of shots I wanted but, accidentally as I could not see the back in the sunshine, I turned on the mode that included my own face at the side. I have a Hoodman for my Sigma Merrills. It works...
  12. T

E-M5 Face detection for focus.

Sorry to bring up a well trodden topic afresh - but all the old posts are long and rambling. Face and eye detection. The manual says that you wait til the camera detects a face with a white box. Then pressing the shutter the focus is set and the box goes green, maybe also detecting an eye with...
  13. T

Is the 12mm f2.0 the widest m43 autofocus prime?

My very first two m43 lenses were the 20mm pancake and the 7-14 zoom. I have now added to my armoury and would have liked a wide angle prime. All that I have been able to see is the 12mm f2.0 (ignoring fish eye) and it seems odd that the widest prime is so close to the top end of the wide angle...
  14. T

Moving from M43 to get better blurred backgrounds

Old story. Moved from Canon FF to m43 to save the back of an old man who wants to get older with less pain. Started with Panny and moved to Oly. Mega happy and now enjoying a family of five lenses. The only time I covet other shots that I see taken at events I have covered is when I notice...
  15. T

Anyone using the EM5 2 wifi to compose shots

I've been following that Air thread with interest. It prompted me to consider upgrading my EM5 to a version 2 which has wifi. Previous forum posters, for other cameras I admit, have been dubious at the reliability and ease of setup when it comes to wifi to a phone or tablet. Is there anyone...
  16. T

m43 hot shoe flash

My Nissin Di466 died mid job last night. It failed to flash and, after an overnight rest, still does not work. I'll send it back to Nissin but it is almost certainly out of warranty so they are unlikely to replace it instantly. I need a replacement and could buy the identical device for around...
  17. T

Occasional shutter lag EM5 and Nissim Di466

I have had my EM5 set at a fixed ASA of 200 and am using manual exposure. I have the Nissim on the hot shoe. I am using the Nissim in its 'normal' mode (ie no red/green/blue light). Yesterday when I pressed the shutter button there was a delay of almost a second before it took the picture. It...
  18. T

Fitting a Loupe to a DPM

I decided to buy a Hoodman Loupe for my DPM cameras and to fix it using a RedRock system. HoodLoupe 3.0 (PATENT US 7,386,229 B2 and 7,034,877)-Hoodman Corporation Redrock Micro - microFinder loupe accessory kit The initial problem was that the RedRock system is designed for DSLR cameras with...
  19. T

What is X3 Fill Light doing in SPP?

I'm going to experiment using SPP to process unaltered RAWs to Tif and doing my post processing with either Picture Window Pro or Qimage (No, I don't use/like LR). Before I do I wonder if someone can explain what the X3 Fill Light slider does? I ask as it is not like the usual fill that lifts...
  20. T

RawDigger

I had never heard of this until today. RawDigger: Raw Image Analyzer | RawDigger It seems it will convert Sigma Merrill RAWs. Any views, friends? Tony