The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. simonclivehughes

Quality of same lens on APS-C vs FF?

Long time since I posted here, but I've a question I'd love some feedback on: I have the a6000 crop body and the a7 full frame body. If I'm using a specific lens (in this case, a TTArtisan 50mm f1.2 manual), I wonder whether using the crop 24MP FF sensor, with it's larger photosites will yield...
  2. simonclivehughes

Travel backup solutions (For SD cards)?

Planning a trip in the fall and I’m trying to find a solution that will allow me to easily backup SD cards from my Sony cams to a portable HDD. (I used to have the Joby Digital Wallet and another later brand years ago.) I will be taking my iPad Pro (3rd gen 12.9 256GB) with me but I don’t want...
  3. simonclivehughes

What's up with Adobe.com??

I haven't been able to get on the adobe.com site yesterday or today. Anyone else having difficulties? :wtf:
  4. simonclivehughes

Mac disk space conundrum... HELP!

I have an iMac 2.93 GHz I7 with a 256GB SSD boot drive. I'm running low on space on the SSD, and when I look at where the space is used, I see that using 'Get Info', my user folder (\Users\myname) reports that its size is 173.66 GB. (There is virtually nothing in \Users\Guest or \Users\Shared...
  5. simonclivehughes

iOS B&W Processing

I just wrote an article entitled In Search of the Holy Grail: Good iOS B&W for my photo blog See, Capture, Show on some methods of trying to duplicate my desktop workflow of Color Efex Pro 4 -> Silver Efex Pro 2 using iOS apps on my iPad. I like dramatic, "toothy" B&W images with rich blacks...
  6. simonclivehughes

Any feedback on my new blogs?

I've recently created three new blogs: See, Capture, Show, which will showcase some of my creative work. Inspired Scrawls, in which I am publishing some of my writings, starting out with the first seven chapters of twenty-three I've written so far for a Sci-Fi novel called "Slipstream"...
  7. simonclivehughes

Meanderings in Monochrome

As a recent project, I went back through my archives to re-process some of my travel photos as monochrome images. Using the latest plug-ins, I was able to create a look that I liked and which reminded me of how I processed a lot of my B&W film images. (Full gallery here: Meanderings in...
  8. simonclivehughes

Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!

Happy Thanksgiving to fellow Canadians! And to our American brethren (and all others), have another one on us. Take the day off. Best wishes to all for another great year, and many thanks to Get DPI for providing such a super forum for all. Cheers,
  9. simonclivehughes

Questions: MF lens methodology on the NEX 7

I've just upgraded to the NEX 7 and finally have the EVF (that I had hoped the NEX 5 might get), and I'm trying to work on using this body with M-mount lenses. I shot today and have some issues and questions that I'd love to get some feedback on from those of you experienced with this...
  10. simonclivehughes

Web Host Recommendations?

My website is currently hosted on Apple's ME.COM (originally MobileMe), which is due to disappear at the end of this month. Can anyone recommend a viable (and inexpensive, ME.com was $100/year) alternative that I can use? FWIW, I'm located in the Vancouver, BC area. Cheers,
  11. simonclivehughes

The Long Journey: Maintaining an Expensive Hobby and a Good Marriage

I have written an article for my website entitled The Long Journey. (Subtitle: Maintaining an Expensive Hobby and a Good Marriage) A slightly tongue-in-cheek look at G.A.S. and how I have managed to come out of the other end a (relatively) whole person. ;) Hope you may find it enjoyable. Cheers,
  12. simonclivehughes

NEX B&W

Here's a couple of images I shot yesterday with the Sony NEX 5 and Voigtländer 28mm f2 combo. These were shot RAW (handheld) and processed in ACR, Silver EFex Pro 1 and Topaz Detail 2. BTW, the new Peaking feature helps greatly for manual focusing. Cheers,
  13. simonclivehughes

Upcoming Vancouver area workshop

I will be teaching my workshop, "Composition, Creativity & Karma", a 2-hour presentation aimed at beginner and intermediate photographers, on January 29th, starting at 7PM at the Water Shed Arts Cafe, #11 - 20349 88th Ave, in Walnut Grove (north Langley) BC. Admission is $35 per person with the...
  14. simonclivehughes

Looking for a bag for NEX/iPad system

Once I had my iPad, I stopped dragging a laptop, or even a netbook around, and now that I have the NEX-5s, I'm looking for a bag for both. I'd like an all-weather shoulder bag that can take the iPad (so 10" long by 8"high) as well as 2 NEX-5 bodies and up to 5 Voigtländer M lenses. I currently...
  15. simonclivehughes

Can Leica Telyt lenses be adapted?

You'll have to forgive my astonishing lack of Leica lore, but can I adapt a Telyt 200 f4.5 or Telyt 280 f4.8 for use on Micro 4/3 or NEX cameras? I don't know if they are LTM or something different. :confused: Oh, and do they have a tripod mount built in? Cheers,
  16. simonclivehughes

Need advice on setting up a new iMac

I have just ordered a new 27" iMac with the following options: 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB 2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide AppleCare Protection Plan for...
  17. simonclivehughes

Setting up the E-PL1

I just picked up an E-PL1 to join my G1, GH1 and GF1. I'm going to use it almost exclusively with my CV 75mm f2.5 lens (although the 50mm f1.5 and 90mm f3.5 may see usage too) especially for the IBIS. I will be shooting Aperture mode and RAW (with jpeg to see how they are). I'm new to Oly and...
  18. simonclivehughes

Changing Aperture on D700

OK, I'm having a complete brain fart here... I haven't used my D700 for ages (as I've been concentrating on my M4/3s cams). My problem is that (with Nikon AF lenses), I always have the camera set in A mode and then use the rear command dial to adjust aperture (with the lenses locked at f22)...
  19. simonclivehughes

Last Post Changes - Good/Bad?

I don't know about others, but the recent change to the New Posts in which the actual times of the posts have been replaced by "x minutes ago", is not to my liking. I much prefer being able to see the times of the posts, then when I hit the New Posts button, I can easily scan to where I "left...
  20. simonclivehughes

Food Photography Tips?

I'm interested to try some food photography and I'd welcome any tips on getting best results. I will be shooting with G1, GH1, GF1 cameras and I have the kit lenses, the 20mm f1.7 and 45mm macro as well as Voigtländer 50mm f1.5, 75mm f2.5 and 90mm f3.5 lenses. My strategy is to use the 45mm...