The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. tashley

Advice on new 24" printer

My venerable (actually I'm being nice, it has always been a bit of a PITA) Canon iPF6300 shows signs of multiple organ failure. I had an HP Z3200 before that - loved its self profiling and self-maintenance regimes. I mainly print for proofing and personal use, because for fine art sales...
  2. tashley

IQ4-150 stacking

Crikey it's complicated. Firstly, don't try stacking on a technical camera unless you're using the Eiffel Tower as a 'pod: nothing is steady enough for you to tweak focus between shotes without losing position. Second, when using the XF, expect it (or the back? actually it seems to be both) to...
  3. tashley

Capture One 12 SLOOOOWWWWWW

One eternal feature of these forums is that the majority view is, to put it bluntly, that somehow LR is for enthusiasts but C1 is for pros. I have always hated C1 - I make no bones about that - and my general workflow has been to only ever use it if the raw file can’t be opened in LR, or if I...
  4. tashley

Rodenstock Alpagon 40mm HR diffraction limit on IQ4 150

My back is about to arrive and I wonder, given the difference in lens designs between Schneider and Rodenstock, what people consider to be the tightest aperture to shoot at before diffraction kicks in. On the IQ3-100 I'd often shoot at F11 for DOF though people in general had suggested F8 as the...
  5. tashley

Would you bother to LCC this for colour (rather than light falloff)

A little mystery file for you - who thinks it needs colour correction rather than just falloff? https://tashley1.zenfolio.com/p499067865/ebed7307a
  6. tashley

Z7 and X1D - I shot them, don't shoot me...

Just sharing, for anyone interested. Don't shoot me for my methodology, there was none. I chose a high frequency patch of woodland across a well-known valley to do a real world (and my real world may differ from yours) 'dirty' comparison between the X1D and the Z7. 'Dirty' means that they were...
  7. tashley

Nikon Z7 'issues' (to put it mildly)

I picked up my Z7 today with the 24-70 zoom, fairly aware that some reviews have been very positive indeed and that others have noticed some flies in the ointment.n I loved my D800 and D810 and was really looking forward to something like that but with the latest sensor, mirrorless and a really...
  8. tashley

Firmware for Phase One SK LS blue ring lenses

Please don't shame me for not knowing the answer to such a baby question (but if you can, imagine that you don't know the answer and try Googling to find it!) I have just done a FW update for my XF body with IQ3 100 back as a system FW update but there is no mention of if, and if yes, how, lens...
  9. tashley

Sony HVL-F43M Flash with A7RIII advice please!

I have a gig on Wednesday where I cannot take my Profoto gear so I am thrown back on on-camera flash. I dug out my HVL-F43M gun and popped it onto the A7RIII for the first time. And I am confused as hell. Please bear with me, I have read the flash manual and the camera manual, and googled and...
  10. tashley

Hassy X1D with Profoto A1 experiences please

Apologies in advance, I’ve searched the forums here for advice but can’t find anything. Has anyone tried the X1D with the Profoto A1 Nikon version? Is it functional? Reliable? Does TTL work? All advice gratefully received: I have a gig inside at the BBC shooting a radio studio recording and I...
  11. tashley

X1D GPS arrives

I don't know if I'm the first, the last, or if no one cares any more but my X1D GPS unit arrived this morning and it works. Plug and play. No idea yet how securely it will remain attached or what impact it will have on the battery life but will report back. Did a forum search to see if I'm just...
  12. tashley

Oly Em1.2 High res file RAW development

Evening all! I just traded my Em1.1 with 12-40 and 40-150 for a mark 2 with 12-100. The idea is that it's a one-lens travel kit and a bad weather camera. I have other gear for other needs so this setup will have just these two specific use-cases. But I have a question: how are people...
  13. tashley

X1D: Where are we at?

So, many of us have had the camera for a few months and managed to shoot a number of frames on a small variety of lenses. It seems that most of us have enjoyed the experience and appreciated the results. But we still don't have the GPS unit and we still don't have the firmware update and we...
  14. tashley

Huge prints in Southern California

Sorry to ask this here but I suspect it's likely the most productive place. I have to furnish a home in Palm Springs with some very large prints. The owner is British and I could have them done here and then shipped over, but it strikes me that it might be cheaper and easier to send the files...
  15. tashley

IQ3100 flash sync on technical camera

This is the sort of thing I should be able to work out for myself but I clearly don't have the wit to find the right part of the right manual. Using the back on an Alpa STC with a Rodenstock Alpagon 40HR, I would appear to have two options for flash sync: 1) Use the flash sync port on the lens...
  16. tashley

Phase XF with IQ3 100 tips request

Good morning. My XF/3-100 has arrived and I'm cracking on with using it both as a kit and with the back separately on an Alpa STC. Having only last month taken delivery of my X1D, it's an exciting and interesting time. However, the Phase kit, purely as a result of its exceptionally deep and...
  17. tashley

IQ3 100 shimming question

SO please excuse my poor memory - it's been a while since I shimmed my IQ180 / Alpa STC combo. I'm upgrading to the 3100 and so it seems to me that there's no need to shim it (or even, really, to remove the shim I already have in place) because the reason it was needed for the 180 was that...
  18. tashley

HTS 1.5 with X1D

Has anyone tried this combination? I assume that the only lenses that might work (if the setup works at all?) would be the ones recommended for pairing with it on an H series. I'm no Hassy expert, I have no experience with or knowledge of the wider product range. So I assume that to use the HTS...
  19. tashley

X1D Exif and distance and JPEG size

So I've been poking about in EXIF for files from the Hassy. If you shoot RAW or JPEG there is no value shown for Exposure Compensation anywhere in EXIF, which is daft and irritating when one is trying to fine-tune ETTR use - unless you make a physical note, you have no idea how often using...
  20. tashley

Don't shoot me... X1D compared to IQ180

Really, don't shoot me. This is not science, this was not a lab. This was done more in the spirit of idle curiosity and a bit of fun since I had both systems with me. I made best but not extreme efforts to make a level playing field. Shooting method: IQ 180 on Alpa TC with Rodenstock 40HR, no...