The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. M

Fun with Nikon Images

D800E + 300/2.8 VRI + TC20ASPH: August moon and passenger airplane over Shanghai: airplane and moon over Shanghai by teknopunk.com, on Flickr
  2. M

Fun with Nikon Images

Nice stuff there Nathan! I am waiting what Nikon does with the D5. Until then the D3 + D800E will do nicely … but that 400mm ??? D800E + 300/2.8VR + TC20III @1/10sec: Nico Rosberg:
  3. M

Fun with Nikon Images

Thanks Jorgen ;-) I tried the 7200 once but really find the finder not nice and the body too small for my large hands :-( The full-sized 35mm bodies fit me perfectly. The 800 feels already very cramped but I like the lightweight and small packaging in the bag. I was also VERY surprised how well...
  4. M

Fun with Nikon Images

From this weekends Formula One Grand Prix in Shanghai/ China: Congrats to Lewis Hamilton it truly was his weekend: I left the old D3 at home and will probably retire it for good from racing. Tried a D800 this time and like the flexibility with DX crops in camera. I wish it had a...
  5. M

S Is For Show Us Your S2 Shots

Adam, please don't take my hunch as a fact - it just looks so absolutely very similar of what we got back a few years when this happened with the Leica M8 and M9. If this would happen to me with my S2, my very first reaction when seeing such a shot on the LCD would be to repeat the shot, taking...
  6. M

Hey Adam, if the issue happening again is the one you described in this post: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/622733-post1967.html Did yo rever get a real response from Leica about the diagnose other then "broken CCD" ? This looks awfully much like the "green flare" digital M users described in...
  7. M

I only use manual ISO with all cameras I use. I usually shoot the S2 at max ISO320. Anything I need a higher ISO I underexpose the shot (using exposure compensation for metering) and push in post processing. When using different push speeds, I separate each series of shots with a blank frame so...
  8. M

FS: Konica UC-Hexanon 35mm f/2 LTM Lens

Ashwin, you really want to get this UC-Hex - it is soooo much nicer than the W-Nikkor 3.5cm/1.8, while both are hard to come by. I did not see a complete UC-Hex package for sale often - the last time I saw one a few years ago, it became mine and this is one of the lenses I will NEVER SELL.
  9. M

Thanks again Marc - have been trying it yesterday in the dry and it is working beautifully! A new camera indeed ;-) I see you guys prefer to set WB in camera. I use AWB with the S2 exclusively and find it nails WB in general lighting conditions very, very consistently, I rarely have to correct...
  10. M

Hey Marc, thanks a thousand time! This is great info and I feel quite embarrassed how I could not have figured this one out ;-) To be honest, I have set my 4 rear buttons (long press) as this: top left: "exposure compensation", bottom left: "ISO" top right: "drive mode" bottom right...
  11. M

Yes Mat, of course. Camera set to manual focus, rear thumb button actuates AF (and stops to actuate AF once not pressed any longer), shutter release is set to only lock AE, half pressed and will not engage AF. The bit that throws me off is that it will not act as in single drive mode (focus and...
  12. M

I would always go for the primes, but then I always feel the needed light and minimum shutter speeds of medium format gear rather limiting and would take any bit of aperture I can get … Mat, that is exactly what I would like the AF to behave, but it does not "lock" and stay there but instead...
  13. M

I don't think it's the lenses - it is likely user error on my part. The S lenses are probably among the best of the best around. Marc, my issue is that more often than I am used to (from 35mm systems) I miss focus just enough to be bothersome when shooting close up wide open. Say, the eye...
  14. M

Marc, thanks for the info. Yes, I have the S2 set up to be using the thumb button to activate Auto Focus. I have the shutter release half press set up to lock exposure and use almost exclusively center weighted metering (I use the Leica M and my Nikon DSLRs the same way). I meant that the focus...
  15. M

Marc, I really like what you did with the 100/2, especially the portraits of the diver, boat captain and the pilot! With shots like the boat captain, pulling, do you find autofocus working well with such a very fast lens wide open or do you focus manually? I have a really hard time using...
  16. M

It might be the quick release LEVER part that throws you off I guess. I have been avoiding any of the lever actioned quick release systems and prefer knob style fasteners - never had an issue. Congrats on the RRS gear - in my opinion it is as good as it gets - on top of that much nicer made than...
  17. M

Hey Adam, I cannot comment in general if one or the other type fits, but it is funny you mention Markins ;-) I have a Markins, specifically made for the Gitzo Traveller (the smallest head they do with a special, small diameter bottom plate to fit flush with the tiny Gitzo). I do also have the...
  18. M

Regarding simple Arca Swiss compatible plates for the S, I use Chinese made Kangrinpoche plates. http://www.3s-kangrinpoche.com/en/Files/Product83.htm I bought these a few years back for Nikon D3 when they had a great quality both to machining and finish (comparabel to my RRS gear back then)...
  19. M

need help with monitor selection - NEC vs EIZO vs Apple

Phil, thanks for the comment - yes, this is an important concern as of the general long life of this piece of gear, hence my preference of buying authorized, rather than hunting for low priced alternatives (It would be more than easy to order one of these NECs from the US for 1200-1600 USD...
  20. M

need help with monitor selection - NEC vs EIZO vs Apple

I am in a bit of a squeeze at the moment as I urgently need to purchase new monitors as I have delayed procurement for almost a year now. I run a Mac only environment with several Macbook Pro computers around the company. My current main working machine is a 15" Macbook Pro Retina as of it's...