The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. E

Beware, hackers again...

It seems that hackers are again trying to get access to user accounts here. I just got an automatic email telling that my user account has been tried to log in and failed for five times from ip address 180.183.236.8 which seems to be an ISP in Thailand. Luckily I have a strong, long and...
  2. E

Okay Okay - Aperture to Capture One 8?

I wonder what Apple dropping Aperture actually means. Of course no more new features or versions. Probably no bug corrections either. But for how long does the current version work in future OS versions? Will adding Photos raw support for new cameras also work for the good ole' Aperture?
  3. E

Thanks, Jono. Here one learns something new every day. BTW, have you seen this? Capture One Pro 8 Webinar | How to Migrate from Apple Aperture to Capture One Pro 8
  4. E

Wow, it seems that one can upgrade pretty cheaply not only from a previous Pro version, but also from Express versions, for 69 € in the Euro zone. The Express has been given for free many times in different promotions. http://www.phaseone.com/en/Online-Store/PurchaseDetailsPage.aspx EDIT...
  5. E

Jono, you're a Mac user, right? Isn't RAW support in the Macs on the OS level and not individual applications? Or does that apply to Aperture, iPhoto and other Apple applications only?
  6. E

Apple confirms 'no new development' for Aperture

Hands On: Apple's New 'Photos for Mac' Is a Vast Improvement Over iPhoto | WIRED "Photos is a vast improvement over iPhoto." Oh, dear...
  7. E

If CCD rendering can be achieved with CMOS where are the examples?

I don't really have much to say regarding directly the question of CCD vs. CMOS, but I find it interesting that someone suggested the difference perceived by some might be due to a different noise pattern. I work in the field of medical imaging myself and am involved in the use of many...
  8. E

Time for a new machine... having trouble with Apple offerings

Yup, did it myself. The SSD was about 150 € in Europe and the Corsair branded RAM about 80 €. 1066 MHz RAM is getting rarer in stores and allegedly some or all 1333 MHz memory do not work. The HD and memory upgrade isn't probably meant to be done by user, but with a suitable screwdriver set and...
  9. E

I ended up upgrading my current late 2009 Mini with 8 GB of RAM and a 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD. And it is faster and smoother, although not quite the power boost I was hoping for. But as it is at the moment, it's usable with 16 Mpix RAW image post processing for now.
  10. E

Pondering what to do with a new X-E1

Funny, how life puts us in different situations. I recently bought a Fuji X-E1 with the high quality kit zoom to be given as gift to somebody. Well, life changes and that didn't happen and I now have a brand new Fuji in my hands. I've only charged the battery once to update the firmware of the...
  11. E

Looking for a perspective from those who used to shoot Leica M and have moved on...

Size and weight, weight and size. In the use you describe (and in my use), I would not get a FF DSLR system today, no matter how good it is. Just too much a burden. I myself have a smaller DSLR (Pentax) and an Olympus E-M5 and practically always I end up taking the smaller one with me. A few...
  12. E

Minolta zooms on the A99 and A7?

Have you checked what the reviews on Dyxum say? It appears to be the site regarding A mount lenses. Alpha A-mount and E-mount lens database
  13. E

My late 2009 Mac Mini with 4 GB is getting pretty slow with ost processing and I'm also wondering if I should buy something new or upgrade it with 8 GB and an SSD. But considering the different Apple models, I feel they're not selling what I'd need. The Minis are made with the focus on being...
  14. E

The Golden Girls

Nice atmosphere. But why are the ladies given green milk? Is it soylent green? A tricky WB I guess.
  15. E

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

While I realize that a camera and a lens are just tools, I have to admit that silver lenses on a completely black camera body (like my E-M5) look just silly. I don't really see the point in silver oly lenses either. Black only would be a much better choice since even silver camera bodies have...
  16. E

Fun with the Olympus E-M1

They do. A "limited" version or something.
  17. E

Putting Faces to Names - (i.e. the Selfie thread)

Just a random comment on the topic of this thread. The word "selfie" was just added to the Oxford dictionary. So this is proper English now. ;) Twerk, Selfie, Bitcoin, Others Added To Oxford Dictionary As Silicon Valley, Middle Schoolers Push English Language Forward | TechCrunch
  18. E

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

When I recently shot my daughters' party, I used the E-M5 and not the K-5 because the Olympus contrast detect AF is so much more accurate than the notorious K-5 AF which is more a hit and miss business. But ergonomically there's no question which is better: Pentax.
  19. E

E-M1 and 12-40mm f/2.8

I use both an E-M5 and a Pentax K-5 and while the m43 is smaller and lighter, I don't think there's a night and day difference. Admittedly, I got the tennis elbow carrying the K-5 wrist-wrapped for a long weekend last year. Haven't tried if that would happen with the E-M5.