The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. E

Beware, hackers again...

It seems that hackers are again trying to get access to user accounts here. I just got an automatic email telling that my user account has been tried to log in and failed for five times from ip address 180.183.236.8 which seems to be an ISP in Thailand. Luckily I have a strong, long and...
  2. E

Pondering what to do with a new X-E1

Funny, how life puts us in different situations. I recently bought a Fuji X-E1 with the high quality kit zoom to be given as gift to somebody. Well, life changes and that didn't happen and I now have a brand new Fuji in my hands. I've only charged the battery once to update the firmware of the...
  3. E

Paypal surcharge

The norm here and on other forums seems to be that when a sold item is paid using Paypal, the seller demands some 3% added to the sum. However, as far as I understand (not being a native English speaker), the Paypal user agreement explicitly denies the right to such a practice. What do you...
  4. E

How much can one LEARN good photography and artistic vision?

I don't think I'm very creative in any sense, but can certainly appreciate a good, creative photograph when I see one. But up to what point can one learn to be a creative photographer and how much is creativity something that one is born with? This is something I've been wondering about...
  5. E

WTB: Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 or Olympus 17mm f/1.8 for m43 (EU)

Looking to buy either of these lenses. Within EU due to customs. PM for offers.
  6. E

Which (mount) MF lenses to get for m43?

I bought recently an Olympus E-M5 and have started experimenting with manual lenses on it. I'm a Pentax user and have some Takumars, which work beautifully regarding manual focusing. Some are excellent optically, some not so much. My PK mount lenses are mostly either of the DA series (meaning no...
  7. E

Olympus E-M5 firmware update is out...

... but not that much new in it. E-M5 Firmware Update EDIT: http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/#omd
  8. E

The OM-D menu driving me crazy!

I'm a Pentax user and don't know if I'm just used to their menu and setup logic or if it really is better, but setting up my OM-D is driving me crazy! Confusing, counter-intuitive and messy. As bad as I found the GH2 menu to be a couple of years ago - if not worse! But in short I am trying to...
  9. E

Q: Olympus OM-D E-M5 and manual lenses

I have been planning to buy an ILC for quite some time, but couldn't decide whether to buy a NEX (bigger sensor, no IBIS, fewer decent native lenses, focus peaking) or an m43 (smaller sensor, Olympus IBIS, arguably better and/or smaller native lenses, no focus peaking). Finally I decided that...
  10. E

Problem staying logged in (Google Chrome)

Something strange is happening with my browser and the GetDPI forum. I'm using Google Chrome and until yesterday I had no problem staying logged in on the forum. However, I half-accidentally applied a browser setting that deleted all off-line content, cookies and such. So I was of course logged...
  11. E

µ4/3 and lens corrections?

I've understood that µ4/3 cameras do quite a lot of software corrections for their lenses. But is it that this only applies to shooting JPEG and not RAW? Also, do Olympus cameras provide corrections for Panasonic lenses and vice versa or does that only happen between a camera body and a lens of...
  12. E

How are the newer SLTs?

When the first Sony SLTs hit the market, they showed great promise in AF, FPS, video. But then there were the issues of the semitransparent mirror robbing half a stop of light and the internal reflections from bright lights on dark backgrounds. But those were the early models. Since the rumors...
  13. E

Idiot-proof printing at home up to A4 or A3?

A take a few pictures, although much fewer than many here. But I never print them, which is a shame. With the number of pictures that I'd probably print, it would be much cheaper to use an online service. But somehow it's just not the same. So I'm considering getting a photo printer for myself...
  14. E

NEX-7, what's the verdict now?

Sony NEX-7 sounded like a fantastic camera when it was released, raising waves everywhere. I have been seriously considering getting one too, but am late to the game as always. But it's starting to look to me that quite a few early adopters have moved on. So how do you see it today, people who...
  15. E

a D700 still a good buy?

I'm a Pentax user with some half decent lenses and a K-5 (and a couple of lesser bodies). In many ways that camera exceeds my skills by far, but over the time I've been getting more and more frustrated with its randomly working AF. Also, Pentax isn't making a full frame camera body, which I have...
  16. E

Pentax K30

No official announcement yet, but it's already showing on a retailer's catalogue: Boulanger The camera will have a 16 MP sensor, WR, AA batteries, Full HD video, ISO 25600, 799€ kit. Not what I'm looking for, but I think many current Pentax users will be happy with this one. Sounds like the...
  17. E

What's YOUR prefered MILC for legacy glass?

Didn't know where to post this, so I chose "Other cameras". I have some nice old lenses and plan to get many more. I'm going to use them on a mirrorless, "MILC" camera some day. But don't really know which to get. Or perhaps wait for some coming models. Things to consider: - In my case it's...
  18. E

"Goodbye, Leica"

A funny reader post at Huff's: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/10/08/the-breakup-letter-dear-leica-m9-by-paul-lanigan/ I guess it's not for everybody after all. ;)
  19. E

Upgrade your M9 to M9-P

Via Steve Huff: Steve Huff photo
  20. E

How much beating does your Leica take?

I was browsing Flickr and ended up looking at a picture showing Joichi Ito, the new MIT Media lab head and an investor who flies several times around the earth each year and usually seems to drag his M9 along. Take a look at the lens (or is it a shade?). The picture's by Mohamed Nanabhay...