The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. J

I was bored .....

And decided to try my hand at uploading some of the Sony Camera Apps because I really liked some shots I saw with the smooth reflections app. Well as expected all the negative posts about issues uploading or buying the apps were true. :( I finally got it done buy had to buy a pre paid Sony card...
  2. J

Hiccups using Laea3 Sony adapter

Anyone else experiencing AF issues using this adapter on A7rII's or a7II's? I use it with a 70-400mm Sony G lens and often AF goes inop and in the fn menu the focus show a greyed MF instead of the CAF or SAF mode. If I twist the assembly I sometimes get it to work and sometimes it takes...
  3. J

Still looking for a Aperture replacement... anyone use ON1 Photo10?

I still have a death grip on my Aperture 3 software but know it's usable days are numbered. I have DXO, C1, CS6, Lightroom 6, and several others but none of them fit me like my aperture software has. I saw on the Sony a7x pics thread a artistic rendition of a photo and the user mentioned it was...
  4. J

Anyone use a Ice Light or one of the other LED light sticks

I do so little artificial light photography outside that flashes and the various other lighting solutions used today have passed this old guy by. (where's my Strobonar and bulbs ;) ). Anyway I saw these Ice Lights and the lesser priced Sunpaks and the like in daylight balanced light wands used...
  5. J

What filter system for the FE 16-35mm

I have used my 77mm Singh Ray's and 4"x6" gradients for just about everything landscape related for the past 8 year's. The 16-35 with the 77mm screw on filters and step up rings have corner issues till I get to 20mm or so then they are ok. Just wondering what others are using for their ND and...
  6. J

Well there goes my CG 45mm f2 back into my ContaxG2 kit

I just received a new Sony FE 55 f1.8 what a wickedly sharp lens. I think I found a replacement for my CG45mm legacy lens. Out with the old and in with the new I guess. The CG45 will go back in the ContaxG2 bag with the 21, 28, 35, and now 45. The only one I will still be using will be the CG...
  7. J

IBIS on/off

I have shot Minolta/Sony in body stabilization systems since the KM7D. This new IBIS on the a7rII just doesn't give a guy a break if you accidentally leave it on on a tripod with a lens that also has OSS like the 16-35 FE. It got me good today for me being forgetful .... I know I won't forget to...
  8. J

Life is much easier as a photographer....

I read some really intelligent comments from people way more educated on the workings of optics and sensors and software here and on some other sites. It is so far over my head I feel like a college freshman enrolling by accident into a graduate electronic engineering class. You guy's REALLY...
  9. J

Which post processing software ....

I know... I know... this is like which vehicle or what camera type questions but I have been a Aperture user for years. Yeah I have copies of LR, CS, DXO, C1 and a host of plugins and specialty softwares and occasionally used them for their strengths when needed but given a choice I opened...
  10. J

Here we go again...

Anyone else noticing the number of complaints about the a7rII on other forums are mostly operator user oops and migrating users complaining of things it doesn't have like their other manufacturer cameras had? I remember really seeing this when the original NEX5 was introduced. I think this body...
  11. J

Well new a7rII means I will not be able to use Aperture

Yea, I am a hold out and have been hanging on to using Aperture for most everything I do. I have LR5, DXO OP, Capture One 8-3-1, OS Photo's as bought PP softwares on my Desktop. What PP software are most finding yield the best results with these Sony FE camera files. I will have to reluctantly...
  12. J

Does the Sony LA-EA1 adapter work on the a7II

It is the only A-E adapter I have and was wondering if it will still work on a a7II/a7rII body in a fully manual focusing (like legacy lens adapters) mode as it did when I bought it for my original NEX5?
  13. J

a99 w/Sigma 35mm ART or RX1R

Quick question for those who have owned both... I have the opportunity to get a used RX1r with a mild screen scratch roughly for near the price of a new Sigma 35mm ART with a Sigma USB module for Sony. The lens and module is maybe $150 less costly. Will I see much IQ differences between a a99...
  14. J

Looks like a move...

I was going through the popular auction site on the web and is it just me or are there far more RX-1's for sale on it than normal. Think the move is on to switch on to the NEX FF rumored camera if it becomes fact. I too am very interested in a FF NEX body but I will wait till after the dust...
  15. J

FYI Sigma Photo Pro

version 5.5 is available now..... I uninstalled 5.4 and have installed 5.5 but have not tried it yet......
  16. J

Sigma DPxmerrill best practice thread

Hi all, I have been using Minolta/sony digitals almost exclusively since the introduction of the KM A1. Not for any other reason than it was what I liked. I have gotten very used to the cameras, controls, and manipulation of the files in PP. That said I recently jumped ship so to speak and...
  17. J

Fact or fiction with Foveon Merrell sensors

I read in one of the forums that the Foveon Merrell sensor responds favorably to using a UV filter and can actually reduce the random splotches some are seeing. Anyone here actually verify this statement? I have not used a UV filter on a digital camera since my old AGFA 1280. Always thought it...
  18. J

Still kicking the can about a Merrell......

but it is getting much closer to possibly getting a DP?m. My question is for those who own or have used both the 1 and the 2. I read that the 2's IQ is considerably better than the 1's primarily in the outer 1/3 of the images. The 1's 19mm perspective suits my scenic needs more than the 30mm...
  19. J

A77 firmware upgrade released

I installed the 1.05 firmware upgrade today using the link posted on SAR. Very nice software improvements especially in the area of camera responsiveness. I used the a77 update for MAC link ... Remember if you own a MAC to boot up in 32 bits and not 64bits
  20. J

Opinions wanted: topaz plugin for aperture

I currently have PS CS5 and Aperture 3 on my MAC. I rarely use CS5 but luv my aperture 3 editing. I recently saw some shots where Topaz plug ins were used on a photo and really made the photo's pop. Anyone using the Topaz bundle plug ins with Aperture 3? If so do you like the results? I tried...