The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. Peter Klein

Capture One v7 layer issue, fixed in v8?

I've been noticing a problem with Capture One v. 7.1.2 when I use "local adjustments" (layers) to dodge or burn in masked areas of a photo. It appears that high-contrast edges are "echoed" in an adjacent area with a line a pixel or two wide. I wonder if anyone else has seen this, and if the...
  2. Peter Klein

E-M1 vs. E-M5, how much better?

A question for those who have owned both: In practical shooting terms, how much better and faster is the E-M1 over the E-M5? I'm having a hard time getting a handle on the practical differences. I'm most interested in the viewfinder lag, focusing (especially in lower light), and general...
  3. Peter Klein

Lens distortion correction w/OM-D & Capture One

Does anyone have, or know of a source for Capture One lens profiles for lens distortion when one uses Panasonic lenses on an Olympus OM-D EM-5? If profiles are not available, does anyone have numbers I can plug into the Lens/Distortion settings? I have an OM-D, and my RAW converter is Capture...
  4. Peter Klein

Capture One, OM-D E-M5 and purple fringing

I'm using Capture One v.6. (I'll probably upgrade to v.7 after a maintenance release or two). Can anybody advise or refer me to instructions on how to best use the purple fringing (PF) correction? I recently got an OM-D E-M5. I use the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 and 14-54mm zoom, and Oly 45/1.8...
  5. Peter Klein

Older 4/3 SLR lenses, autofocus on OM-D?

I have the original Olympus 4/3 40-140mm f/3.5-4.5 SLR lens, which I really like. It was manufactured before the second series of 4/3 SLR lenses. So it does not have provision for contrast detect autofocus built in. The question is, will it be able to autofocus, even slowly, on an OM-D? Or...
  6. Peter Klein

IE 8 doesn't cache GetDPI

I've noticed that unlike many photo sites I visit, photos on GetDPI forums don't appear to get cached by Internet Explorer. Suppose I visit a GetDPI page with lots of photos, then turn off the computer for the night and come back to that same page in the morning. I'd expect that the photos I...
  7. Peter Klein

OM-D, or a used G(H)?

I usually buy cameras like my parents bought cars--used, a year or two old. Yet I've been getting OM-D fever like most of you. My old G1 is feeling, well, a bit old in terms of dynamic range and higher ISO. So, which impulse to follow? In poring over the DxOMark scores, I noticed that the GH1...
  8. Peter Klein

olympus BLM-1 replacement

I'll be needing to get a replacement battery for my E-30. It's the BLM-01 (aka BLM-1), which is used in most of the E-series DSLRs. Does anyone know of a reliable aftermarket battery? Or should I pay the freight for a genuine Olympus-branded battery? (I ask because some aftermarket batteries...
  9. Peter Klein

Olympus OM Zuiko 50/1.4 lens

OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 lens. Exc+ condition. Black nose, serial number 789,xxx. This is a later multicoated lens, but NOT the ultimate final version. The glass is clean, no rubs or scratches. I can see two tiny dust specks inside. Focus is smooth and well-damped, the diaphragm is smooth and...
  10. Peter Klein

Leitz DR "Eyes," LTM case, LTM cable release

Leitz/Leica close focus "eyes" for the Dual-Range Summicron. It should mount on all Leica M models. I have used it successfully on an M4-P and an M6TTL. It is in good condition for a c. 50 year-old item, but is more of a user than a collector's item. It focuses correctly. Shows some wear and...
  11. Peter Klein

FS: Olympus E-510, Tenpa Viewfinder magnifier

Olympus E-510 DSLR (body only, no lenses). Excellent++ condition, shutter count 3259. This E-510 is very low mileage with almost no wear. Everything works fine. I am the second owner. It has a screen protector on it. The E-510 has Live View, a slightly weaker anti-alias filter than later...
  12. Peter Klein

Panasonic 20/1.7 underexposes in low light

Folks: I have noticed several times that in low tungsten light, my 20/1.7 and G1 significantly underexposes the picture. I'm not talking about high contrast scenes where a bright area or light source fools the meter. I'm talking about fairly low contrast scenes getting underexposed by about...
  13. Peter Klein

Viewfinder blackout, Panny G1 vs. GH2/G3

I have the autoreview turned off on my G1. The G1's electronic viewfinder blackout as the shot takes place is annoying. With flash, the shutter delay and blackout is excruciating. In the newer models, has Panasonic improved the time that the viewfinder blacks out during a shot? I'm talking...
  14. Peter Klein

"Other camera": D7000, K5, ???

You know me as a Leica M8 shooter. At the moment my "other" camera is a Panny G1, and occasionally an E-510. These cameras are really only at their best up to ISO 400, with 800 usable but significantly worse than the M8's ISO 640. I've been seriously thinking getting a more current DSLR for low...
  15. Peter Klein

FAST 50/1.2 Canon LTM, 50/1.8

FAST Canon 50/1.2 LTM (Leica screw mount) lens, black and chrome. Serial #55,0xx. Excellent condition. No marks on the front or rear elements. A little dust inside, nothing major. Focuses perfectly on my M8 wide-open. There is a tiny bit of wear on some of the knurlings of the focus ring, much...
  16. Peter Klein

Leica M4-P, 90/2.8, Canon 50/1.8

Time to give some unused gear a new home. Leica M4-P, serial #1,565,2xx. The camera is in good working order, with no mechanical or view/rangefinder defects, and is ready to shoot. It has some dings, dents and wear on the "black chrome" finish, which were there when I bought it in Aug. 2000. It...
  17. Peter Klein

New Windows PC

I'm going to get a new desktop computer soon. Things have changed a lot since I last bought a computer (uhmm, 7 years ago!!). So I find myself drowning in specs without really knowing how much practical effect they will have on my two principal activities: Photo editing and music composition...
  18. Peter Klein

Scanning Kodachrome

I've been scanning my 1970s-era Kodachromes. I'm using a Canon FS-4000 with VueScan Pro. The FS-4000 can do a two-scan pass with different exposures, which really helps with shadows. I scan to 16-bit TIFF, do my major adjustments in Picture Window Pro, then convert to 8-bit for resizing and...
  19. Peter Klein

OT: Musical article (attn especially Seattle people)

Sorry for posting this here, but I wanted my Seattle friends to see this. One reason you haven't seen many pictures from me lately is that I've been writing. I just had an article published about an upcoming concert, happening Monday July 26 at 8:00pm Pacific Time at Benaroya Hall. The Seattle...
  20. Peter Klein

4/3->Micro 4/3 adapter: worth doing?

I have the old (and very good) 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 tele zoom for standard 4/3. I could pick up the Panasonic 4/3 to Micro 4/3 adapter ($115 at B&H) so I could use the lens with my G1. I realize that it would not autofocus, nor would it be image stabilized. The question is, would it be worth...