The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. B

Positive Feedback

Seller: athimbleofdan Item Bought from Seller: Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.1 M-moumt Met in Manhattan for face to face transaction after quick texting exchange--he is a really nice, honest, and punctual guy. Lens was exactly as described (no unpleasant surprises) and everything went off...
  2. B

Poll: choose 2 Leica M lenses for travel

21/35 with M8 and M9. Lots of flexibility--21/50 or 28/35.
  3. B

Panasonic L1 Viewfinder Display Not Working

Thanks for the advice!
  4. B

Panasonic L1 Viewfinder Display Not Working

The viewfinder LCD display on my Panasonic DMC-L1 seems to have stopped working. The focus confirmation red dot does work and so does the rear LCD. Otherwise camera seems to function fine. Did a search, someone on Flickr said Panasonic charges $511 to repair, which is way more than the body's...
  5. B

FS: Leica M9

Thanks for the heads up Jeff!
  6. B

Fun with the Fuji X ___!

Best cat-as-test-subject photo yet! :) Thanks for posting!
  7. B

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera") Couldn't agree more!!!!!
  8. B

X100 images thread...let's get this party started....

I was getting a bit depressed reading some of the rather negative comments in the X-Pro1 thread, so and I meandered over to this thread, and suddenly felt a lot better. Thank you everyone for posting such great images and putting things in perspective. Much better than reading endless aimless...
  9. B

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera") I've come to accept that all cameras have flaws, even top of the line Canons and Nikons, which do get firmware updates (e.g., Canon 1DMk 3 focusing errors, etc., the list is long and never ending). My D300 still has a couple of quirks...
  10. B

Could there be no D4x due to the D800 ??

If Nikon were to release a D700s update with the D3s sensor (video, high ISO), you'd have two great cameras (D700s and D800) filling different but complementary needs, and the D700s would not cannibalize on the D4 sales (older tech, lower MP, slower AF, smaller buffer vis a vis D4). And given...
  11. B

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera") I'm glad for disappointed early adopters--I bought my X100 used for a pretty reasonable price. Updated the firmware, and it's been a great camera, replacing my dslrs for daily use. Its so small and inconspicuous and easy to use, yet...
  12. B

new Fuji X Pro1 camera

Re: new Fuji X Pro1 camera (formerly called "new camera") Thanks for the link!
  13. B

M9 user take on the X100

Thanks Roger for the user review. Balanced and thoughtful. Good to know that I can explain to my wife that I *NEED* both the Leica M8/M9 AND an X100, and that neither will replace the other! :D
  14. B

One lens to rule them all.....

Being cheap/frugal/value conscious (mostly cheap), I like the old 18-70mm for it's range (28-105mm equivalent) and price--usually around $150 or less used (check KEH.com). It's sharp, compact, light in weight, and has a metal lens mount. Here's a review from Thom Hogan...
  15. B

A Steve Huff M9 compared to Trash

Silly comparison between a $100 lens and a $1700 lens. Of course the vastly more expensive Leica will outperform the made-for-a-price-point Nikon. One could easily turn the "comparison" on its head with vastly different results, but it would look bad for the M9 (and for Mr. Huff)--turn up the...
  16. B

X100 arrived today

I've seen third party hoods with 52mm threads on fleabay going for around $80 plus shipping. Don't know anything about them, but it piqued my interest.
  17. B

Lens recommendation: Medium-wide angle

You're welcome! Same decisions I've gone through. In the end, accepted that there is no such unicorn--small, fast, affordable, wide DX/FX prime. If you are considering a zoom, the 20-35mm f/2.8 Nikkor AF-D might fit the bill (30mm to 52mm FOV). Around $650 used last time I checked. Pro...
  18. B

Lens recommendation: Medium-wide angle

+1 on the Nikon 35 f/2 AF/AFD. AF and MF, aperture control, f/2. 52mm equivalent FOV on DX. It's what I use on my D700 and my D50 as well. Another option is a 28mm lens, equivalent to about a 42mm FOV on DX. You can get either the Nikon f2.8 AF/AFD or the Sigma f/1.8. There's an older...
  19. B

Nikkor vs Carl Zeiss - DxOMark -

Anyone remember the old testing done by Popular Photo and Modern Photo magazines? Leica and high end (expensive) lenses usually never tested well, but (cheap) Sigma, Tamron, and other third party lenses--well those were genuine diamonds! I didn't understand the huge cost of Leica over Sigma...