The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. The Smoking Camera

X1D and 21mm XCD in Mexico

I had the good fortune of receiving the 21mm XCD lens from Hasselblad in time for my trip to Tulum and Mexico City. I had the bad fortune of my X1D becoming unresponsive during the trip. I was able use the lens enough to really enjoy it. It is sharp, quiet, well balanced, fast focusing and a joy...
  2. The Smoking Camera

The Hasselblad X1d in New York

Hope this is OK. Took the Hasselblad X1D to New York last week. Steve Huff published my brief write-up and a few photos. I've included a link if interested. The Hasselblad X1D Shoots in New York City and More Aloha.
  3. The Smoking Camera

Hasselblad x1d and Short Flash Duration

Any recommendations on a relatively portable strobe that has a short flash duration at full power? Trying to take advantage of the x1d's ability to sync flash at 1/2000 sec. For example, the Godox AD200 is small, light and relatively powerful at 200Ws. Unfortunately at full power, flash...
  4. The Smoking Camera

Can Sony A7RII do Ballet?

The Sony A7RII is an impressive camera. I've enjoyed several threads with intelligent comments by all. Simple question. Will this camera adequately focus and track a professional ballerina during a performance. And if so, what are viable lens options. Currently my typical settings are f2.8-4...
  5. The Smoking Camera

Other-Worldly with Nikon 600mm f4 Lens

Used the Nikon 600 f4 lens on the V3 for a slightly different kind of Supermoon photo and video. Hope you enjoy these. Hawaii Surfer Girl and the Supermoon Supermoon Video
  6. The Smoking Camera

Nikon V3 and 70-300cx

I expect very little interest in this camera lens combo (and this thread) but thought I would share a few bird photos. Until I picked up a V3 a couple of months ago, I never photographed birds. Until I picked up the new 70-300cx (189-810mm equivalent) lens a couple of weeks ago I never...
  7. The Smoking Camera

Hawaii's Comic Con

Milk Short Feature Writeup. Kawaii Kon Gallery. A little over a week ago I went to my first ever comic con - called Kawaii Kon in Hawaii. I was shooting for Milk Made in New York. My setup was pretty simple and straight forward. A Nikon 14-24 on a D4 and 58/1.4 on a Df. I also had the 85 which...
  8. The Smoking Camera

Nikon Df at NYC Fashion Week

Shooting with the Nikon Df at NYC fashion Week. A few photos to share. I.D. Vice Carolina Herrera at Lincoln Center
  9. The Smoking Camera

Nikon Df at Ballet

Shot Nutcracker with the Nikon Df and three lenses: 58/1.4g, 70-200 and 200-400. Normally I shoot with a D3s but this year I tried the Df instead. Much I like, a little I did not. Will add some thoughts later, but decided to share a few photos for now.
  10. The Smoking Camera

Nikon V1, Ft-1 Adapter and Surf Event

Today I shot the final day of the Billabong Pipe Masters surf event with the Nikon V1, Ft-1 adapter and 300/4 lens. This gave me the equivalent of an 810mm lens. I must say the combo worked very well. Rather than inserting images I am including a slideshow link. FYI, the wide angle shots are...
  11. The Smoking Camera

Nikon 58/1.4g and Baby Blue Eyes

Last week a friend and her one year old daughter stopped by to visit. I could not resist taking a few photos with the 58. No post except exposure and cropping. All shot wide open at 1.4.
  12. The Smoking Camera

Nikon 58/1.4g in Hawaii

OK, just received the 58mm f/1.4g lens and took it out for a spin in Waikiki with my D800. All shot wide open except for one. No real testing on my part, just shooting this and that. Lens definitely has a distinct look, lovely bokeh, extremely shallow DOF and is definitely not razor sharp...
  13. The Smoking Camera

Sony Rx1 and others in NYC Writeup

A brief write up on Steve Huffs site by yours truly. An attempt to get shallow DOF with the Sony Rx1 in the streets of New York along with some other cameras. Might be of interest if you have nothing else more pressing. Thanks. Linky
  14. The Smoking Camera

D800 at New York Halloween Parade

I rarely post here in the Nikon forum just because I am so happy with the camera. Even though I am always looking for the ideal small camera (Nikon V1, Sony rx-1, Ricoh Gr, Fuji X100 ... ) it's always reassuring to have a D800 when the need arises. Here's a short article and a few images from...
  15. The Smoking Camera

Wanted: New York City Event Photographer

My son is the editor for Milk Made (blog for Milk Studios) in New York City. He is looking for a gifted event photographer. Must be versatile and super-talented with extraordinary post processing skills. Rates negotiable. Please send me a PM if you know someone with these skills. Thanks.
  16. The Smoking Camera

Nikon V1 Images

Three months ago I purchased a Nikon V1 camera at a great price. I've been extremely impressed with the camera, particularly the fast and accurate focusing. Thought I would share a link to photos I've taken over the past 90 days to give you an idea of what the camera is capable of. Hope you...
  17. The Smoking Camera

Nikon V1 and Ballet Photography

Here's my short write-up on the virtues of the Nikon V1 and ballet photography. Focusing and tracking is quite amazing on this little camera. Here's the link if interested: Nikon V1 Shoots Ballet. Hope you enjoy it.
  18. The Smoking Camera

Nikon 32/1.2 Lens is a Bargain

I sent a brief writeup about the Nikon 32/1.2 lens to Steve Huff and he decided to post it. Might be worth a read. Thanks. A Nikon 32 1.2 Lens Review by Joe Marquez | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS
  19. The Smoking Camera

Nikon 32mm f/1.2 Lens

Recently picked up this lens along with a Nikon V1. Price is steep, but my goodness what a lovely lens. Small, light and fast and accurate focusing even in low light. Shutter speed of 1/16,000 negates need for an ND filter. Had a chance to use it twice so far - once in Waikiki and the other at...
  20. The Smoking Camera

iPhone Instagram Pro Photographer

My son, a freelance journalist in NYC, wrote this short profile of Kevin Russ - an iphone photographer. Definitely a road less travelled and worth a read. Enjoy. Professional iPhone Photographer Kevin Russ Documents the World an Instagram at a Time | Motherboard