The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. S

A question for the technologically minded

Something I've been pondering recently; hoping someone in the know can fill in the blanks of my knowledge... Is the noise level of a pixel constant (excluding temperature effects), or does it vary with exposure? The reason I ask is that I've been wondering if some sort of pre-exposure (like we...
  2. S

Mirrorless body for stitching

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum, but... I am contemplating getting a body for use with my telescope and for attaching to a 5x4 lens panel to try my hand at stitching. My 'scope won't focus close enough to allow a DSLR to be used, but I should be OK with a mirrorless body. I...
  3. S

Balancing foveon colour channels - which filter?

I'm always years behind everyone else technologically :o, and have just been reading about balancing the sensitivity of the colour channels before the sensor to improve overall dynamic range. From my simple (but possibly completely wrong) calculations, I am speculating that adding an orangish...
  4. S

Masking based on edge detection?

Does anyone know of any masking software that uses edge detection to make a mask? I'm trying to fix an image that has colour-blotch noise over intricate details. The blotches happen to be a similar colour to some of the detail, so colour-based masking doesn't work as well as I'd hoped...
  5. S

Sigma Photo Pro lens support

I'm thinking about jumping into the Sigma camp, but am having trouble with info gathering... From what I can garner from other forums, SPP has built-in lens profiles. What I can't definitively find out is what they're for and what is supported. I've read that the profiles are used for CA...
  6. S

Nikon D300 in-camera sharpening with RAW?

From what I gather, in-camera sharpening settings are supposed to be ignored when shooting raw. Here's an oddity I noticed from my D300: This is a screenshot of the .NEF file, before any processing (any raw processor shows the same). There is some fringing (which can be removed in NX2, using...
  7. S

Toyo G parts

Guys, I recently bought a Toyo G 4x5 that was in good condition with the exception that one of the focussing pinions (according to the parts list that's what they're called) was a bit bent. It sits inside a collar that covers the majority of the pinion, and trying to straighten it would be...
  8. S

Information gathering for project

Hi Guys, I am thinking about building my own 4x5 camera, of a somewhat onorthodox design. My initial intention is to design it around my own needs i.e. as rigid as possible for a scanning back. Unfortunately with the idea I have in mind, that brings, of course, a list of compromises; mainly a...
  9. S

Architecture technique

After viewing some of the threads here I feel I have to comment on what I think is over-use of correction of converging verticals; whether that be by PC lenses, LF technique or simply software correction. I do appreciate that each image has to be considered individually; there are often...
  10. S

The future of CCDs?

This morning I found myself in a waiting room glancing over a 12-month old issue of New Scientist. In it was a brief article that I thought was worthy of mentioning here in order to start a discussion. In my own words: If we take the example of the human eye as a camera, in principle, the lens...
  11. S

Rm3d here for real?

A new article on the Arca Rm3d can be found here (in French): http://www.galerie-photo.com/arca-swiss-rm3d.html You can use the Google translator but it doesn't make much more sense, LOL! There are some mouth-watering pictures, though. :clap: This shop also seems to be selling them...
  12. S

Fine focus required?

I am currently chatting with Mike of Walker Cameras, with regards to getting a Titan XL 5x4 for use with my newly-acquired scanning back (Thanks, Doug and Chris!). I was asking about appropriateness for digital, and the focusing problems people have in general, to which he said he always uses...
  13. S

Poor man's multishot?

Reading through the P65+ threads sparked a few synapses, and I thought I'd do the right thing and start another instead of hijacking those like I normally do :rolleyes: In sensor+ mode (as well as speed) an advantage is meant to be increased DR and IQ over a normal 15MP sensor. With a normal...
  14. S

Another Helicon question...

I read somewhere that the Helicon software is (understandably) sensitive to camera movement. Have any of you guys tried it with a view camera, especially one with a Copal shutter? ...or is that a really dumb idea? :o
  15. S

Sinar asymmetrical tilts

Could someone here tell me where the asymetrical tilts and swings are positioned on the P2 and P3? I read a comment elsewhere about not using a P2 for MFDB as the tilt/swing axes don't cross the sensor. If I were to take the Betterlight route (72x96), will the P2's axes cross the sensor, or is...
  16. S

Highlight spread in digital?

I was idly wondering today, and this is where it got me...! In chemical days, depending on the thickness of film emulsion, (over)exposure of the film could "spread" the edge boundaries of the image being captured, e.g. a light area next to a dark may have a softened edge (reduced acutance). Is...
  17. S

LF lenses with MF sensor?

Given that a 22MP back at best will show something like 50 lp/mm, is there any reason why recent (last 20 yrs or so) LF lenses cannot be used with them? I can appreciate that 30+ MP may be trying to overstretch their abilities, but are they up to the job of producing decent results @ 22MP...
  18. S

Which Stock Photo Agency?

Anybody here submit stuff to photo agencies for a few extra dollars? Can I ask which (if any) angencies you recommend, which to avoid, and for what reasons?
  19. S

Camera filters with digital

Hi Guys, As a digital and photoshop noob, I found myself rearranging my kit bag, and came across a stack of filters I'd bought for use with film. I sat for a while pondering which ones needed to be included in a digital bag. In the end I came to the conclusion that probably only a polariser and...
  20. S

Traded-in backs taken off market?

I'm still looking to find my first MFDB, and I'm trying to get a S/H one that fits my needs and my budget. After shooting emails out to appropriate distributors, I was given the name of one dealer that possibly had an appropriate back. I checked the dealers' web site and there was no mention of...