The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. MGrayson

Ageing photographers and the weight. Simplicate and add lightness.

In truth, I use a Compagnon Element no matter how little equipment I'm carrying. It just sits on me more comfortably than anything else. I've used an f-stop Guru (and three or four other f-stop bags and eight or so ICU's) for decades, but the Compagnon is a better match for me. For the really...
  2. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

I think we're all nuts. :ROFLMAO: So 40 years ago. I lived in the Bay Area, but was visiting NYC. This bridge is in Central Park. Pentax 67 with ???, but it's Medium Format, right? The funny bit is that I later moved to NYC and have lived about 100 yards from that spot for the last 25 years...
  3. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

Nice! I shot Pentax 67 back in the day. I may even have had that lens. It was 40 years ago, and like today, I had too much gear. :LOL:
  4. MGrayson

John, It never occurred to me to try it, but I do have a small ICU around - here it is with its usual Fuji X-H1 and four lenses. (Laowa 9, Fuji 14, 35, and 50) And with an X2D and my three lens kit (21, 45, 90) with a bonus 28P thrown in for good measure. Battery, but no strap. Yeah, it's a...
  5. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

Surprisingly light. I should have looked it up first...
  6. MGrayson

Excellent points! As tempting as the CFV 100C is, and it is very tempting, I am addicted to IBIS for magnified focusing.
  7. MGrayson

I ended up with the Hasselblad X system. As long as the focal lengths stay under 100mm, it is (relatively) very light and compact. An X2D with 21mm, 45mm, and 90mm lenses is 5.6 lbs. The body and one very wide (21mm or 25mm) is just 3.3 lbs. A walk around X2D + XCD 28/P is 2.5 lbs. (I just did...
  8. MGrayson

Fun with MF images 2024

I bet that's a heavy lens....
  9. MGrayson

New camera from Arca Swiss: the Pico

Do we have any ideas of the pico's weight and how that compares to the alternatives? My interests are at the wide end, which probably means a DB, which probably means a tech camera, which probably means stick with what I have. 😆 I do like true verticals, though, and it's hard to get them...
  10. MGrayson

Leica Summicron-S 100 f/2 ASPH, boxed, updated $3850

A more classical look than the other lenses in the S series. This doesn't get the attention it deserves. Between it and the S 120/2.5, you cover two styles of portrait lenses with beautiful bokeh. GLWS!
  11. MGrayson

Hasselblad's aversion to red dots

Well, it's possible, but putting the dot on the side is like pre-computing a result you need often (if you change lenses), and so is efficient coding.
  12. MGrayson

I'm fond of the Leica Q for that reason. 28/1.7 Macro. Stunning lens.
  13. MGrayson

Huh! Didn't notice the lens contacts. Nice! Another Method! Thank you.
  14. MGrayson

Hasselblad 24mm (or 25mm) f2.5V and 135mm f2.5V

Ah. Cosine to the fourth, and very clearly explained. I was aware of mechanical vignetting and cat's eye bokeh - it's hard to miss, but natural vignetting is less obvious. Thanks!
  15. MGrayson

Behind the scenes

Was the second image taken with the Speed Graphic? 😆
  16. MGrayson

The XCD lenses have NO protrusions or windows. They’re smooth except for the focusing ring. The new V lenses have a switch, but I don’t have any yet. Your UV glue method would be necessary. (And is a good idea for tactile feedback.)
  17. MGrayson

An invisible XF. I like it. I'm picturing an 8x10 Deardorff with black tape over the nameplate. People don't notice me when I put my tripod down next to them and quickly focus on the ground glass, insert the film carrier, take out the dark slide, and *click* for a candid portrait. :ROFLMAO:
  18. MGrayson

Yeah. the "hard to grab" bit bothered me a lot at first. Now I circle the base of the lens with thumb and first finger, press the lens release with the side of my finger, and twist. Seems to work well. A thick rubber band would also help.
  19. MGrayson

I do that with the rear caps. Of course, it means keeping them straight, but I also don't lose them that way. I tried putting labels directly on the rear elements, but it didn't work out so well.... :unsure: Matt