The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. J

Deleted

I'm interested in how the AF capability of this camera compares to the AF in the e-mount. I would think A mount has the advantage over mirrorless because of the conventional phase detect sensors. Also would like to see if their motion tracking AF has improved too.
  2. J

Voigtlander 12/5.6 Sony FE Mount shipping

Mike: If you have both the 10 and 12 currently I'd love to hear your comparison of them (especially corner sharpness).
  3. J

Voigtlander 12/5.6 Sony FE Mount shipping

Hey Mike: That should be fun to test. I'd love to know how it compares to the previous Voigtlander 12mm. Please post your thoughts (and photos!).
  4. J

A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

Is Tony Northrop someone who would be likely to know if Sony was about to release an A9 (or two different A9) cameras? SAR had a video clip of his where he speculated about what will be new at Fotokina in September. Does anyone know anything about his connections to the big camera...
  5. J

Voigtlander 10mm e-mount lens available now

Definitely not a normal lens, for sure. It's kind of fun to figure out where it works. I've seen some interior shots that are very exciting. I'd like to try it in a Gothic cathedral. But they're scarce here in Connecticut. I intend to give it a chance in the desert southwest someday when I...
  6. J

Voigtlander 10mm f\5.6 e-mount lens additional photos So I went out at lunchtime on Friday and did a little more walking around with this one. Here's one of the shots. I added a third part to my review and included some more shots. I get a little long winded here. Voigtlander 10mm f\5.6...
  7. J

18mm ƒ2.8 Batis is here!

I can see why. Like that sky. Joe is the infinity focus easy to achieve? Can the lens go "beyond" infinity?
  8. J

Rainy day so here's a close up shot in the yard. It's a pretty bizarre optic but I think it's growing on me. I want to try this out in a real wide open landscape. I think the desert southwest would agree with it. Too bad I'm in New England for the present.
  9. J

You ain't just whistling Dixie. One way I found to avoid this was using the camera electronic level to stay in the horizontal. Another thing that helped was using a monopod. It tends to make you stand a little behind the camera. But I still have several toe shots.
  10. J

Some photos and impressions So I got this lens end of last week and took it out. I like really wide focal lengths so take that into account. My impression is it's a very good hyper wide lens. Obviously the corners are not perfect. But they are acceptable. And the rest of the image is very...
  11. J

My wife just called to say it arrived. I'll try to put up some photos this weekend.
  12. J

B&H is showing my order going to warehouse now. Probably will ship today or tomorrow.
  13. J

Clickbait-2: The Plot Clickens So SAR had another A9 rumor today. This one claims that the source came upon a beta tester in Manhattan with an unknown relatively large Sony mirrorless body with an FE lens and equipped with a joy stick, dual card slots and something saying 72 megapixels visible...
  14. J

18mm ƒ2.8 Batis is here!

I played around with the manual focus on some test shots. The background was across a small river and about a quarter mile from where I was standing. I tried to find a best focus point using the higher magnification assist (I think it's ~ 10X on the A7S). Truth be told, to my admittedly old...
  15. J

18mm ƒ2.8 Batis is here!

After getting a chance to review the files I shot with the 21mm today I understand your decision. For landscape work all I need to do with this lens is set it to infinity and I get corner to corner sharpness and beautiful images. It's really very, very good. The only other wide lenses I'm...
  16. J

18mm ƒ2.8 Batis is here!

An embarrassment of riches! All the new exciting lenses is starting to make me dizzy. I just bought the Loxia 21mm and now they have an 18mm. I'm gonna skip this Batis and wait for the Voitlander 10mm as the ultimate wide angle for those times when 21 is just too darn narrow! But we...
  17. J

I can see how the new G 70-200 would be an improvement for sports shooting. Tracking AF is starting to be a reality for Sony shooters and the top of the line lenses are the ones that currently have the most support from the software algorithms. Good Luck
  18. J

Great Googley Moogley No good deed goes unpunished. Thanks to the Sony folks who enjoy the products, added to this post and try to keep it positive. Don't worry, we know Sony has faults but it is definitely moving in the right direction. The gloom and doomers are running out of ammo. I...
  19. J

Jim: I agree that the whole battery problem is starting to sound silly. For casual shooters or even moderate professional needs, a pocket full of batteries is fine. I have five. For videographers and other power users there are already plenty of options that allow you to plug the battery port...
  20. J

A cool new feature on the A-6300

I was just watching a you-tube video comparing the A-6000 to the A-6300 https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5jaSuiRXL1s At 8:20 on the video I saw a little feature I really liked. They call it AF in focus magnify. Basically what it means is that hitting the autofocus...