The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. J

A cool new feature on the A-6300

I was just watching a you-tube video comparing the A-6000 to the A-6300 https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5jaSuiRXL1s At 8:20 on the video I saw a little feature I really liked. They call it AF in focus magnify. Basically what it means is that hitting the autofocus...
  2. J

A9 Rumor: Clickbait or Possible

Everyone's favorite lunatics at SAR were chattering about an SR5 level rumor predicting a professional level A9 camera soon. SR5 means absolute certainty. Normally I'd just attribute this to a slow patch at SAR and nothing else. But maybe not. Truth be told, I think Sony has finally...
  3. J

RF trigger for A7 cameras (no smart phone solutions)

I bought an RF trigger for my A7S and it doesn't seem to work at all. So either I have to find some setting in the menu to get it working or I got a trigger that's no good. If anyone knows of a good model of an RF trigger for the A7 cameras I'm all ears. As stated above I don't use a cell...
  4. J

Venus Optics 12mm full frame lens

Does anyone have any experience with a Chinese company called Venus Optics? SAR is linking some photos that are supposed to be from a future e-mount 12mm lens. I guess I'm falling behind on my research. Never heard of Venus Optics.
  5. J

A7R II Auto Focus Evaluation

All you brave and lucky early adopters have generously shared many images and comments on this exciting new camera. I understand that for some of you manual focus is all that's necessary. However if autofocus performance is something you value I would greatly enjoy hearing about it. The few...
  6. J

Sony HVL-F58AM

I need help from any Sony flash officianados. I'm planning to sell my A-850 and was looking at my other a-mount stuff. Does anyone know whether the Sony HVL-F58AM flash can be used with e-mount equipment in a useful way? I almost never use flash but then again you never know. So if it...
  7. J

Canikon, Sony, m4/3, Samsung and the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZuxo2ZFz_g I watched this video (link above) yesterday and it confirmed some things that I was thinking: 1) I know less than nothing about video 2) Sony makes great sensors 3) Full frame sensors have some advantages 4) Sony's contrast detect autofocus is...
  8. J

A7 Firmware Updates

Has anyone who is using the 35mm F1.4 noticed whether the firmware update for the A7 cameras is needed for the 35f1.4 focusing accuracy. Currently I find it kind of slow and I was wondering if I should revise my firmware. I'm hesitant because I read something (somewhere) that said that after...
  9. J

FE 35mm f1.4 shipping notification

So Amazon has sent me a message saying: "Sony SEL35F14Z Distagon T FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Standard-Prime Lens for Mirrorless Cameras" Estimated arrival date: April 02, 2015. I'm not complaining but I'm surprised because I never usually get my stuff on-time. I'm always a month behind the first...
  10. J

Astrophotography with the A7S

My son sent me a link to an article on using the A7S for astrophotography. One thing I found interesting was a statement that ISO 400,000 was a great feature because it allows you to see and frame the Milky Way live in the EVF instead of having to review. One of these days I've got to check...
  11. J

The Pyramid Burial Lens

All talk to the contrary (and you all know who you are!), the Sony A7 series cameras are the greatest cameras that modern ingenuity has ever or ever will create and within the next few weeks all other cameras manufacturers out of a sense of embarrassment will recall all these other unworthy...
  12. J

A7 camera lens choices

I know the standard refrain that there are more A7 cameras than lenses in the system is almost true. But for me the recent developments mean I soon need to make some choices. 1) FE 16-35 or some combination of 35f1.4, Loxia 35f2 and 28f2 (and attachments for 21mm and 16mm fisheye). 2) FE...
  13. J

Live View on an external device for A7 cameras

I've always wanted to try using a really large screen (tablet or monitor) to manually focus in the studio. Is this currently possible for the A7 cameras? Either wired or wireless would be fine. I understand that phones can be used to select focus point and trigger an exposure but wasn't sure...
  14. J

Calibrated Monitors

I posted this in the imaging forum yesterday but I guess it's pretty quiet over there. So I figured this is a busier neighborhood with more foot traffic. I am looking to get a 27" monitor that allows for accurate color calibration. I have heard that NEC and Eizo have some very good ones but...
  15. J

Calibrated monitors

Greetings Folks: I usually hang around the Sony forum but this is definitely off-topic for there. I am looking to get a 27" monitor with accurate color calibration. I have heard that NEC and Eizo have some very good ones but I'm far from an expert on the subject. Also I am interested in a...
  16. J

Ode to the Early Adopter

With new Sony models ricocheting in on all sides and gear lust threatening to overwhelm my common sense (and my bank account), I penned this silly ditty to lighten the mood. Apologies to Dr. Seuss. Ode to the Early Adopter While Canon and Nikon refine their old mirror The Sony A7 line's...
  17. J

12mm full frame lenses

I've currently been using a Sigma 12-24 zoom (first version) for extreme wide angle shots (mostly landscape applications). Sigma has replaced this lens with a new version that I hear is both sharper in the corners but has worse image distortion. In addition, I've heard people using the VC 12mm...
  18. J

A7S Printing Size recommendations

So anyway, Imaging Resource has rolled out the Image Quality segment of their A7S review. Sony A7S Review: Now Shooting! - Image Quality In the print quality section of the review I'll paraphrase their recommendations as: 24 x 36 inches from base until ISO 400 20 x 30 at ISO 800 4 x 6 all the...
  19. J

New Loxia 50mm review

The always hyperactive and sometimes useful theater of the absurd that is Sonyalpharumors had a new batch of reviews on the Loxia lenses. I think this one (link below) is the most informative: #283. Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2.0 first review | DearSusan I'm more in the market for a 20mm focal...
  20. J

Dear Santa (Sony 2014 edition)

So Photokina has come and gone. No more mystery cameras or lenses will be announced (probably). The reviews still need to appear for the 16-35 zoom but for the most part the choices for this year are sort of there. What will Christmas bring? For anyone who would like to play the game, just...