The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Update Process? Muffed.

ShaunQ

Been a long time since I updated my Capture One, and although I don't really need to I thought I'd give it a go recently. Seems when you update you have to download and install an entirely new and fresh app, which doesn't include all my existing catalogues/settings etc.

I'm using the Phase One version of C1, currently using Capture One 22, would be nice if the update process was "in app" rather than a fresh install. Am I missing something very basic here or do I have to manually migrate all my images/catalogues/settings across to the new version? Any help appreciated, cheers.

ShaunQ

Thanks Anwarp, I’ll have a look into it today, mostly whether I will get any benefit out of updating in the first place. Pretty annoying to have to manually update and re activate an app just for an update, poor programming effort on C1’s behalf I feel.

Paul Spinnler

I feel since the news flow around people firings the updating of the software has also taken a backseat somehow.

Their help forum is full with angry people who were annoyed about the introduction of the subscription. The mod literally begged people to stop address anger to him directly. They also posted a super constructed unrealistic overview table showing the "savings" you'd get by subscribing, totally ignoring the fact that in the past they always had sales on full licenses. That software should not cost more than 100 bucks per upgrade and you should get ongoing updates up until each major release ...

I haven't updated C1 since they introduced subscription as a result of their policies.

Not adding bugfixes after you bought a version of the product is a total no-go and if they are on the subscription path I'd expect a lot more updates and revolutionary new features every few motnhs ... ie you don't get so much for the subscription price these days, I feel.

Not sure how others feel about C1 as another monthly cost item ...

Last edited:

algrove

Well I decided to upgrade due to SL3 purchase. It took Customer Service (CS) 6 days to finally explain what I should do.
1. Deactivate all computers from current license on each computer to be safe.
2.Delete all previous licenses in Applications on each computer.
3. Install new Capture One (Without a year in the name now)
4. enter license code.
5. Then it worked.

CS never mentioned for 5 days to delete all previous C1 lenses in Applications folder. Brain dead people. It was always send me a screen shot of your problem. If you get Irina be prepared for a one week of hell.

ShaunQ

Just had a read through the release notes going back to the current version I've been running, other than "bug fixes" and camera/lens support, there doesn't seem to be anything that would benefit me by updating, other than newer MacOS support.

I'm currently running C1 15.0.0 on MacOS Sonoma, on a 14" MacbookPro M3 Max, working with IQ360 files, without any issue so I think I'll just keep it that way. There has been a crazy combination of lazy image management, mixing between 3 different computers and lots of travel in my life over the last two years, so my catalogue system is a bit of a mess. Oneday soon I'll have some free time to update C1 and start fresh.

tenmangu81

The C1 commercial policy is no longer interesting to many people. If I had a P1 camera, I would have followed the upgrades, subscriptions, etc... as the C1 rates are negligible with respect to the P1 gear. But I haven't, and I switched to Lightroom. Well, partly because I got a Blad 🤣

algrove

I hear you on the Bald. Still interesting they decided to support Fuji GFX cameras. Since I have those I decided to stay, but can go back (ugh) to LR since I pay my $10/month for some PS in my workflow, but that is getting less and less as C1 slowly improves.

tenmangu81

Lightroom is improving faster than C1, IMHO. I've got and used C1 for years, and I think Lightroom is now at least as good as C1 in many aspects. But indeed, I have no choice, as C1 is very, very reluctant to open their software to Blad files. And Hasselblad as well !!

buildbot

Lightroom is improving faster than C1, IMHO. I've got and used C1 for years, and I think Lightroom is now at least as good as C1 in many aspects.
I use both and have noticed this. It used to be pretty difficult to get a look I liked in Lightroom vs. C1, but for whatever reason the editing pipeline has changed enough that I feel the output results are very similar. At this point I am questioning the utility of C1 at all, given it's free for the only cameras I think it makes a real difference on - P1 backs.