The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DXO noise reduction

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This will be also be posted to the Pureraw thread at the Image Processing forum.

I had heard many positive things about DXO's noise reduction, so I found that I wanted to try it. The results speak for themselves, but let me say right away: this is amazing.

The noise reduction is available in two varieties, as part of their RAW/image processing software, Photolab and as part of their Photoshop plugin, Pureraw. I used Photolab for this. Here's the testing procedure:

Image taken at at 05:29 hrs., 20 minutes before sunrise with a Panasonic G85 using a Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 @ 14mm, f/2.8 and ISO 6400. The only processing added is noise reduction, no sharpening.

The whole image processed to jpeg with DXO Photolab:

100% crop, opened with Adobe ACR without noise reduction:

100% crop, opened with Adobe ACR with noise reduction:

100% crop, processed to DNG with DXO Photolab, then converted to jpeg without noise reduction with ACR:

iiiNelson

DXO has always been a great RAW converter and has long had arguably the best noise removal algorithms. Additionally I found that they had the absolute best lens corrections in the past too.

SrMphoto

+1 for DxO PhotoLab 4's Deep Prime noise reduction.

It helps any supported camera but is especially helpful with m43 sensors (SNR).