The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fujifilm GFX100 vs. 100S ?

Bianca Ranciato

Super Moderator
Staff member

A good read from Murray Elliott at Capture Integration about the differences between the GFX100 & GFX100S.

In a quick synopsis, the key distinctions cited in the article were the magnesium alloy body, the EVF, the additional rear sub-monitor below the LCD, and the power solution the body comes with.

I'd be curious to hear from active users of the GFX100 why they chose the original 100 over the 100S.

Or even GFX100S users on the question visa versa? ( aside from price point since the original 100 is currently on a hefty 3k+ discount )

Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 2.56.21 PM.png

spb

Staff member
For me 100S over the 100. 1) Weight 2) Size 3) Cost. The GFX100S for me is a really special camera with the 30/50/80mm combination.

Tim J. Ernst

I gotta have that tilt adapter (bad spine, and I can't stoop over to look through the viewfinder), so the 100 for me. Otherwise the 100 is a beast (size and weight too much) and offers no other advantages for me. I probably would not upgrade when they update it unless the tilt adapter is on it.

nameBrandon

I am dumbfounded as to why Fuji has let the tilt EVF die on the vine. Such a brilliant solution. I *love* the increased resolution of the EVF on the 100S, but a tilt version in the next GFX camera would really be a nice offering.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I always liked the balance of the bigger bodies - not the Hassy H or Phase XF type, but the Canon 1 or GFX 100 design. The Leica S is big enough without the extra grip, but the Hassy X2D and Leica SL are a bit small. I leave the tripod plate on the X2D to give it some necessary height :cool:.

I very much appreciated the GFX 100 battery supply. Once one went empty, I still had some time before I needed to replace it. My problem with the GFX 100 body, and I hope it's been fixed in the GFX 100s, is the dial push sensitivity. It was VERY hard to turn the rear dial without initiating a push signal. I had to use a fingernail to gently turn the wheel. My limited research at the time showed this to be a common, but unacknowledged, problem.

Tim J. Ernst

Agreed on the "rear dial without initiating a push signal" - VERY poor design by Fuji - same for the TINY buttons all over. Good grief there is a huge amount of space there for larger buttons, and to do something, anything with the push-button dial. I have it set to adjust f-stops so I use it frequently, and at least half the time I end up zooming in and in a completely different mode which is very frustrating. I'd rather disable the push function on this dial but can't find out how to do that anywhere. I need a wheel for f-stops (I shoot always on a tripod and operate the camera controls with one hand and am too lazy to reach around and turn the aperture ring like the good old days.) I honestly don't know what they are going to do with this update that isn't already covered with the GFX 100s, maybe selfie videos, haha...

Rand47

I have a Fuji X-H2 that has the same joy-stick as the GFX 100s. And I think it is sub-optimal compared to the smaller joy-stick on my GFX 100. Especially with gloves on. The newer style is stiff and imprecise feeling in comparison.

In general I prefer the buttons and layout of the GFX 100 (odd man out here for sure). While they could have been larger (lots of space) I find the spacing of the buttons very nice, and especially so when wearing gloves. And the sub-monitor LCD is very valuable to me when working on a tripod. I have all the relevant exposure information mapped there. And the tilt-adapter for the EVF is essential as far as I’m concerned. And the higher resolution EVF with faster refresh rate is wonderful. Other than overall size of the body (which I do not see as a disadvantage - large hands) the only really bad thing about the GFX 100 is the absolutely weird vertical grip shape and surface. Fortunately, the excellent RRS L-plate “fixes” that and has been permanently attached since I bought it. The two attachment points for the L-plate make it very solid indeed. And, although completely irrelevant, I even love the color of the GFX 100 body.

Rand

Last edited:
I had an opportunity recently to buy either a 100 or a 100s from a friend, for the same very low price. I went in assuming the 100S would be the no-brainer for me but it became a hard decision.

I loved the 100 when I picked it up. I have long fingers, and the larger body and grips fit my hands more naturally. I liked the solidity. I loved the viewfinder.

In contrast, the 100s felt a bit cramped when I held it. And the fixed EVF felt like a downgrade. I also have a bit of a psychological bias toward bigger cameras. I'm a refugee from years with a 4x5 , and find that big, slow, clunky cameras just feel more serious to me. I never found myself trusting my Nikon d800 for things like urban landscape photography, even after years of trying.

In the end I chose the 100s in spite of all this. It had seen almost no use, while the 100 bodies were older and a bit beat upon. Also the value of the 100 was starting to plummet on news of its upcoming replacement. Finally, I realized that the compact size of the 100s would allow it to replace my Nikon system completely. If I had something like the 100, I'd never want to carry the thing around casually or half-casually. I'd need to complicate my life with a second, smaller camera system.

I don't regret the choice. After a month of getting to know it, I'm liking the 100s very much. But I see the appeal of its bigger, clunkier uncle.