The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Great Leica Service and Frustration!

msertac

I have recently bought a Leica M10 Monochrome and am on a long-time planned trip to Georgia. I have noticed that it freezes frequently especially on shooting continuous mode and no images recorded on the SD card. tried different cards with no succcess. I went to Leica store in Istanbul with no technical help and was told that they cannot service it as it is not bought there as well cannot send it to Germany for service. Contacted Leica customer service and got the reply that I should personally send it to Germany with no definite timing on repair and as I am not a resident in Turkey possible custom issues.
This was a trip planned over 2 years and now I have a 10K camera in my hand with no function.
What a great company and service.
Any recommendations appreciated.
Sertac

Geoff

Sorry news. Try not shooting on continuous mode, go to single shot. Sometimes, continuous just overloads the electronics.

Paul2660

Their response to send to Germany is pretty standard as they can’t have a repair center in all locations with a dealership. From what I have read here and other forums many of the US repairs end up in Germany also. Their turn around time is not the best.
If the camera is brand new you might speak with the dealer or store that sold it to see if they will swap it out. I agree a having a 10k camera that is new not work correctly is frustrating.
You might try either a camera reset or reinstall and or check for a firmware update.
Does the camera function correctly with single mode exposures and exposure bracketing? Has it ever failed to write a exposure in single exposure mode?

Paul

Godfrey

:eek:Yes, call Leica support and service in Germany directly and discuss the issue with them.

How long did you have the camera to test and learn before going on your trip? When I was teaching photography, I'd see this often: people plan a long, expensive trip and buy a brand new camera at the last minute, often barely take it out of the box before they leave. And, of course, something happens. My recommendation for equipment on such a trip is to have the camera in hand and test it extensively for at least three to six months before your trip ... use it in all the kinds of conditions and situations you might encounter on the trip. Because machines have a way of knowing what's really going to get under our skin... !!!:eek::eek:

I would never go on such a trip without a camera that I'd used extensively for a good while, that was far from being "new". I've often left new equipment home and taken my old dog equipment instead of risking my trip photos.

G

Reactions: spb

KeithDM

Are you using live-view or EVF when it locks up? I have had my M10M since Feb last year and it has to locked-up at times but only when using LV/EVF. Changing the 'power off' setting from the default two minutes to 'never' seems to help. 99% of my M10M usage is single-shot. There is a long thread on the subject in the appropriate part of the L-Camera forum.
Hope you manage to make a success of your trip.

Photon42

I know that all sounds like voodoo, but did you try older cards, like 60 MB/s or maybe 90 MB/s, and only 32GB or less?

Reactions: spb