The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kodak Portra 400 film and grain

I admit I have shot very little of Kodak Portra film but I'm thinking of using some Portra 400 film in the future. Just wondering what peoples experiences are with overexposing Portra 400 film - particularly with regards to grain. Did you notice much of a reduction with grain when overexposing this particular film stock?

Through much of my film photography, I have tried to get my exposures spot on regardless if I was shooting on slide or negative film. Though I do admit that there were some occasions where I would deliberately underexpose slide film a little for increased colour saturation. But I would try and avoid overexposure at all costs (even when shooting neg film.)

Years later, I read about the benefits of overexposing negative film. I learned that in the movie industry, the vast majority of cinematographers would deliberately overexpose motion picture negative film. This was to avoid accidental underexposure and also to reduce grain. So some time after that, I tried the same thing with a roll of Fuji consumer negative film for stills. That film may have been a 400asa film but I can't quite recall. I bracketed my exposures but can't remember by how much. I think I may have started with what I determined was a normal exposure and then overexposed by one stop and then overexposed by a larger amount after that (possibly two stops but I really can't remember.)

And I was quite surprised by the results. Overexposing seemed to have had the opposite of what I was expecting. The prints were surprisingly grainy. More grainy than what I would have expected from a 400asa film. I admit this had me puzzled.

Would I likely get different results with overexposing Portra 400 film with regards to grain? Obviously, some grain would be inevitable with 400asa film but I don't want to end up with a ton of grain.

chrism

It is a bit better at 200, but thing about Portra is that it has so little grain at 400 you might as well enjoy the speed. Looking back I see I have played with Fuji Superia 400 at 200, but not actually done it with Portra 400. Examples:
Fuji Superia 400 @400

Fuji Superia 400 @200

Portra 400 @400

So wile I can't really speak for Portra, the effect with Superia is more a change in saturation than grain.

Some beautiful images there. I do notice Portra seems to have more subdued colours compared to the Fuji. Ive noticed that elsewhere too. As I would be using Portra underwater, I wish it had some more colour saturation but it's the supposedly fine grain that attracts me to it.

It is a bit better at 200, but thing about Portra is that it has so little grain at 400 you might as well enjoy the speed.
I wish I could enjoy the full speed! But alas, I'll be using it underwater in a camera that has no internal light meter. I'll be snorkelling in shallow water so there would probably be a loss of about half a stop or possibly a whole stop of light. What I plan to do is first and foremost is shoot on a sunny day and take some test exposures with a digital M4/3 mirrorless camera on land and transfer most of those exposure settings to the underwater camera but open up the aperture two stops.

chrism

I believe there are waterproof bags for phones so the swimmers and surfers can, presumably, film their legs being eaten by a great white. If such a waterproof bag were made of clear plastic, you could put a lightmeter in it, perhaps?

I believe there are waterproof bags for phones so the swimmers and surfers can, presumably, film their legs being eaten by a great white. If such a waterproof bag were made of clear plastic, you could put a lightmeter in it, perhaps?
Interesting idea! I do have a very old photography book released by Pentax which suggests placing a light meter inside a glass jar for underwater photography. I bet that would be awkward (obviously, you'd usually use two hands to operate the camera.) So I don't know where you would place the jar while shooting. Just let it float around perhaps? Yea a bag would be more practical.