The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M dual range 50mm comments for film use only

jdphoto

I'm interested in selling my 1996 Pre ASPH 50mm Summilux in exchange for the Dual Range 50mm Summicron circa 1965. It's an incredibly built chromed brass marvel w/goggles with a close focusing range of approximately 19 inches(478mm) The Pre 50mm is approximately 27 inches(0.7m). I prefer the look of a 1960's lens on my 1960's M2r and don't often shoot at f/1.4. The Dual Range serial number says "Freigehalten" which translates to kept free. I was curious why this is listed as such and any other comments from users of the Dual range 50mm Summicron.

pegelli

I have no idea what the "Freigehalten" on your serial number means. Is it printed on the lens like that or in a list of serial numbers you found?

But I really like using my Dual Range Summicron 50/2 on my M2 (both from1958).
Focussing both in the normal range as well as the close range with the goggles work well and the rendering is very classic on film.
Here's an example on HP5 exposed at 800 iso and developed in Microphen.

jdphoto

Thanks for the reply. The word "Freigehalten" is on a serial number database on Red Dot Camera
I really like like the quality of this lens and know the coatings are soft and might flare easy, but I don't think there's any Leica M lens made like this one. Thanks again.

pegelli

Thanks for that link jd, can be useful for a quick look-up.

I usually use the Leica Wiki and this page lists all the serial numbers and build year for the Summicron 50/2 I versions (collapsible, rigid, black, chrome and DR). That might help you determine the exact year of production or year of assignment of the serial number: Leica Wiki page for summicron 50/2

I've looked around for the term "freigehalten" and found one discussion on a camera serial number where some numbers were kept free to cover continuation of the production of a specific series in the following year, maybe the same principle applied for lenses, so your lens may be 1 or 2 years younger than the serial number indicates.

jdphoto

Thanks for that link jd, can be useful for a quick look-up.

I usually use the Leica Wiki and this page lists all the serial numbers and build year for the Summicron 50/2 I versions (collapsible, rigid, black, chrome and DR). That might help you determine the exact year of production or year of assignment of the serial number: Leica Wiki page for summicron 50/2

I've looked around for the term "freigehalten" and found one discussion on a camera serial number where some numbers were kept free to cover continuation of the production of a specific series in the following year, maybe the same principle applied for lenses, so your lens may be 1 or 2 years younger than the serial number indicates.
Thanks so much for researching the Summicron Pegelli! I think you've solved it. That makes sense for "kept Free" to be exactly that, a continuation of sequential numbers. From your experience, does the lens flare easily?

pegelli

I haven't got any examples directly against the sun but here's two examples with backlight:

On a digital Sony A7Rii:

On FP4 from my M2 (btw, what you see is rust on an iron plate, not film grain)

So my conclusion is that medium backlight is not a big problem, I've seen a few older negatives which show more veiling haze around backlit structures, but that was before the lens got a full CLA and cleaning of the lens elements. The photo I posted before (Antwerp Cruise Terminal) you see a little flare veiling around the roof windows, and that was after the CLA so it's definitely there when the backlight is strong enough.

EDIT: I quickly PP'd a shot with the worst backlight veiling/flare I could find with my Summicron DR, this was before the CLA/Cleaning, so you can see it was a lot worse when there was a little haze in the lens (fortunately no fungus)

Ilford Delta 100, exposed 200 iso and developed in Microphen

Last edited: