The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M lens pricing

jdphoto

I know pricing a Leica M lens is subjective, but for my chrome Leica M 50mm Summilux pre ASPH (circa 1996), the prices are not as easy to average. The ASPH versions get most of the attention, but I've read ads for the pre asph Mandler design commanding higher prices. Is there a good, current source for pricing Leica M lenses for determining value in todays market?

jdphoto

Ebay might have been a good source prior to their rate increase for sales as most have rolled that into the cost of an item.

fmueller

First I would do a search on the buy-sell forum at Fred Miranda Forums. Use the search function and narrow it down. They do a large enough volume of Leica buy and sells that you should get a fair idea. Generally items sell for listed or just a few percent lower than asked.

A second resource would be to find out what KEH or MPB will offer you on a straight out sale. They will offer about 66% of what they expect they can sell it for.

An additional resource would be to ask a Leica Store (not to be confused with a store that sells Leica...) They will give you an honest answer and may offer to buy it from you for resale. They too might offer between 66%-80% of what they expect they could resell it. Leica Store Miami has an exceptional reputation.

EBay prices seem to be the hardest to use as benchmarks, because, well...it's Ebay.

All that being said, do not expect that you could easily command the same price as KEH, MPB or a Leica Store can for used equipment. They offer buyers limited guarantees and their reputation is on the line and buyers are willing to pay a little more for that assurance from an established business.

On a private sale, anything you can get over the KEH/MPB/Leica Store offer is the premium you receive for dealing with the hassle of a private sale.

alajuela

KEH does not discount Leica Lens - at all - certainly not 33% - at most MAYBE 10%. KEH does grade them very well. If they say good, then it is usually very good.
I would stay away from auto focus lenses, certainly if offered for sale without original caps or hood.
MPB - might be a bit more flexible on their pricing.

JeffK

The pre-asph 50mm mandler is least advertised because people don't sell them. They have a nice older style character to them. You can get the same look from a CV 50mm f2 Collapsible. but the Leica pre-asph is obviously a better build. The Leica's just are.

A decade ago they were around 2k USD. So start at 3000 now and see if you get takers. The ASPH goes for around 3500 now I think.

Last edited:

jdphoto

It's interesting you mention the older style because that's exactly why I want to sell my new-ish (1996) for a mid 1960's chrome 11 114. They all have identical optics and coatings with only cosmetic and mechanical differences, but it would pair nicer I think with my M2. Thanks.

camping

Talking about prices...
You might have noticed the sale of a black pre-asph 35mm 1.4 summilux Canada on ebay for US $5,812. Competitive bidding. Serial number 2290278.
Is this real???

rayt

Talking about prices...
You might have noticed the sale of a black pre-asph 35mm 1.4 summilux Canada on ebay for US $5,812. Competitive bidding. Serial number 2290278.
Is this real???
Yes. Early version 35mm Summilux pre-a with infinity lock is quite rare and desirable.

Godfrey

No one will wrest my '72 'Lux 35mm from my hands until my hands are cold and dead. One of my all-time favorite lenses... And I certainly didn't pay $5K or more for it. :)