The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL2 IBIS/Mechanical Shutter Motion Blur

Tom A

Hello All,

I've been having some issues with my SL2 and I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing anything similar?

When the IBIS and mechanical shutter are both activated I get motion blur when the shutter is set between 1/80th-1/160th second. I've done a bit of testing and the issue disappears when the electronic shutter is used, the images are also sharper at the shutter speeds mentioned with mechanical shutter on and the IBIS turned off. The effect is present using my APO SL35, as well as my adapted M lenses.

Here is a brief synopsis of my interaction with Leica repairs regarding the problem.
In February this year I sent the camera in to Leica NJ for the issue, it was then shipped to Germany. More than two months later the camera was returned unrepaired with a note which said; "Dear Sir/Madam, The error described is a firmware bug. We are diligently working on a firmware that will fix the problem. As soon as we have a new firmware, we will release it on our homepage. Kind Regards, Leica Customer Care"
At the time I was unimpressed with the response and requested that the camera be exchanged for one that functions properly and was told that the problem I was experiencing effected all SL2"s so a replacement would not be helpful. At the time (May) I was told the firmware update would be available in June or July, last week the firmware was released. Unfortunately my camera is behaving the same.

Here are a couple of 100% crops of some of my test images the first image in both pairs is taken with mechanical shutter and IBIS active, the second with E shutter and IBIS active. The lens is the APO 50/2 on the first image and the APO 35/2 on the second.

Attachments

Paul2660

It’s a known issue for sure. Plenty of info on other forums. I see the same issue at around the same shutter speeds and using the e shutter instead of mechanical makes a big difference as you mentioned.

Paul