The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens hood dilemma with a Yashica TLR

I have a Yashica D TLR with a Yashinon taking lens which I haven't used for a number of years and I'd like to shoot with it again. There's a B1 - 49mm adapter ring on the bottom lens to accept screw on filters and lens hoods. Unfortunately, my rubber lens hood presses against the cable release as it protrudes from the front (close to the lens.) Most of my TLR photography would be from a tripod with a cable release. I suppose I could use one of those petal shaped lens hoods and align one of the open sections with the cable release so that there isn't any physical contact. Though now the potential dillemma would be sunlight reflecting off the silver cable release and into the lens. Yashinon lenses are very prone to flare. Just wondering if anyone would have any kind of solution to this dilemma? I guess I could try and make my own custom made lens hood out of black cardboard.

I actually already have a petal shaped lens hood and I have tried it out just now. Despite that gap between the petals, the lens hood still touches the cable release. I think I'll have to make my own custom lens hood.

JoelM

Can you cut out a small section of the rubber hood to allow for the cable release?
Black tape on the shiny parts can help.

MartinN

I oppose camera and lens ’destruction’ by DIY, but accessory modification is a very good thing. Good luck.

Oh yea cutting out a small section of the rubber lens hood is certainly an option. Though I guess since it will be screwed on, it might take several attempts to align the open section with the cable release.

Making a custom lens hood could be a fun project. I have started cutting out some cardboard and forming it into a cone shape. And I do have some matte black paint I could use.

I did make a lens hood out of cardboard and even painted it black. It worked but it was a bit flimsy.

I ordered an extra rubber lens hood so that I could cut a section out of it. I did the deed just then but as I imagined, it's incredibly hard to line up the cut out section with the cable release (after the lens hood is screwed on.) I have started with the cut out section in multiple different positions (prior to screwing) and it always ends up in the wrong position. Ive tried this a fair number of times. Any suggestions on how I can get it lined up correctly?

Ive since tried more times (with different start positions around the lens) but the cut out section of the lens hood always ends up far away from the cable release.

However, I have come up with an idea. And that is to cut the rubber lens hood into two halves. So I could start with screwing on the bottom half. And then duct tape the top half on (lining up the cut out section with the cable release.)