The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lets talk cases and bags for the Leica Q2

LEZ90

I tend to be either A. Out on my motorbike stopping at opportune moments to take some shots or B. Doing something more organised, where I would take the camera, my iPad Pro (Lightroom and photoshop) + a spare charger (maybe a couple of filters etc). Therefore I need 2 bags for my Q2.

One bag needs to be as small as you can get but with the ability to take an extra battery for when I’m out and about on my motorbike, and the other needs to fit my iPad etc, but look discreet and classy (not like a large rucksack or holdall).
I already have a couple of sling type bags, my favourite being a Belstaff colonial, and although they are very cool, I ready wanted something more upmarket.

Leica day bag
I liked the look of the Leica day bag but the price seemed a bit high for something that I would not use that often so I put it on the back burner until I found one second hand (but in mint condition) one for half price. For that money it was worth a shot.
Daybag 1.jpeg
The gap if you keep the hood on.
daybag 2.JPG
daybag 4.JPG

Quality wise the Day Bag its lovely. It feels like a five grand Chanel bag and it holds everything you need.
Pros.
Classy & Discreet
Superior quality.
Good protection.
Fits camera, USB charger, iPad batteries, iPhone pro max, SD card and a zipped wallet for your keys etc in the smallest package available.

Cons.
Cover does not sit flush and has a small gap if you leave the hood on the camera, but if you fit the standard lens ring and use a normal 49mm cap (which I do as I don’t like the lens cap falling off all the time) then its fine.
If the camera has a half cover then its a really tight fit - I’m hoping with use this will ease off, as I like to have the camera protected a bit.
Fits an iPad Pro 9.7 but its too tight for a pro with a smart keyboard.

The harder decision was for when I’m on my motorbike.

I needed something small, robust and ideally had a bell loop. ONA, Billingham and Belstaff all make great bags but they flap around when you’re doing 70mpg on a motorbike, even cross body bags lift and flap about.
So my choice was 3 Lowepros (TLZ20 & 15 and the SH100 MK 2) as they all had belt loops as well as straps.

Lowepro TLZ20
TLZ20 1.jpg

Hold on to the battery
IMG_6874.JPG
Pros.
Plenty of room, smart and streamline.
Two lid compartments

Cons.
Its a bit big.
If you fit a battery in the lid compartment it will fall out on the floor every time you open the case as theres nothing to hold it in.

Due to the battery falling on the floor twice I started looking for something else and came over a couple of other options.

Lowepro TLZ15
TLZ15.jpg
TLZ15 -2.JPG
This is a great case and is highly recommended. The camera sits nicely in the bag and theres a compartment in the front that can fit a spare battery and SD card.
Pros
Small
holds all the basics
Good protection.

Cons
Design is old and is not very aerodynamic for me.
When I found the TLZ15 on ebay there was also a SH100 MK 2 for sale so I bought them both.

Lowepro SH100 MK 2
The SH100 Mk2 is the smallest possible size bag for a Leica Q2 and its Lowepro current design shape.
SH100II - 1.JPG
SH100II - 2.JPG

Spare battery SH100II - 3.JPG
Pros
Smallest possible bag with protection for a Q2.
Fits a spare battery in the main compartment using the movable divider.
Hard base protects the bag and also means that it stands up with you are not wearing it.

Cons.
None.

I’m happy with my Leica Day Bag and TLZ15. What do you guys use?

Last edited:

dave.gt

Well, as you would guess, bags are a very personal choice. And since there is no perfect bag for humans, we all go through the ritual of buying and trying many bags. At some point there will be one or more that stick with us.

Motorcycle riding presents another universe of possibilities. For me, over many years of riding BMW or Harley Davidson touring bikes, all up and down the eastern coast and on extended tours, space was never a problem. I never had the need for backpacks, belt bags, or anything else, and for safety reasons, I personally never have hard objects on my person anyway.

My camera(s) were always securely packed away in a saddlebag or Tour Pack.

That said, I cannot be of much help and I am sure everyone has different preferences. Commuting in extreme urban traffic in the metro Atlanta area in the K1200LT was quite a challenge for a very long time. But the larger bikes made the challenge a little easier and arguably a little safer due to a greater “presence” (visually or audibly). The risk of a crash was ever-present though.

I would think that a tank bag or small bag that would fit on the pillion would be wiser then a bag worn on the body. But that is just an opinion as I never had an unfortunate crash despite hitting a deer at night at 60 mph and going airborne.

I’m not even sure I would risk an expensive camera on a motorcycle but again, that is a personal choice.

Whatever you decide, I wish you many thousands of miles of enjoyment, with both riding and off-bike activities.

Don't forget to post photos of your adventures!!!! :):):)

Last edited:

dave.gt

Ah, that is absolutely gorgeous!!

I’m not sure I would ever carry anything that might scratch the paint on that bike!!!:):):)

Love it!

TechTalk

I needed something small, robust and ideally had a bell loop. ONA, Billingham and Belstaff all make great bags but they flap around when you’re doing 70mpg on a motorbike, even cross body bags lift and flap about.
The Billingham bags which have a belt loop includes the model 72 which is nicely sized for a Leica Q2. They have an assortment of colors, some of which are shown below.

Here's a YouTube video showing the Leica Q2 combined with the Billingham 72 bag...

https://www.youtube.com/The Perfect Leica Bag - Billingham 72 Camera Bag Review

Last edited:

TechTalk

Always thought the Billingham bags looked quite big and bulky.
Would be good to get a photo of one next to the camera for perspective.
I'm sorry to say that I can't provide you with the photo that you want. The video link that I provided shows the Leica Q2 being inserted into the Billingham 72 bag and also shows it inside the bag, the product website has all of the internal and external dimensions, and there are photos of the bag with a variety of cameras including Leica. That's about all the information and illustration that I can provide to you except for this link to an image of the Leica Q2 inside a Billingham 72 from the previously linked YouTube video.

There's a mountain of various bags available. I'm sure that you'll find a variety to choose from that meet your needs. The Billingham came to my mind because you mentioned wanting a belt loop and I happen to own a Billingham Compact Stowaway which has that feature.

Last edited:

nameBrandon

Bowery is one of my favorites.. holds an impressive amount given its size. I have 2 or 3 of them, as well as the Billingham 72 as mentioned above. Happy to take any specific photos you're looking for. One of my all-time favorites and often under the radar small bags is the Domke F-8 and I use it all the time with the Q2. It's made it through some massive downpours as well and protected the camera just fine. Not sure it's as upmarket as you'd want, but I dare say it matches that motorbike nicely, at least the waxed canvas version I have.

Some photos for you, hope they help.

Domke F-8 compared to Q2 and M10

domke-size-m10-q2.jpg

Domke side compared to Bowery. Bowery is probably 10% taller and 30% longer.

bowery-f8-side.jpg

Showing that length difference..

bowery-domke-size-smaller.jpg

Here's the Domke with the Q2 and a 50 Lux

domke-q2-50lux.jpg

and finally the Bowery with a Q2 and M10 with 35 Lux.

bowery-2-cameras.jpg

Last edited:

LEZ90

Picked up a ONA Bowery (Leica edition) from the bay. Its a lovely bag, but I'm not sure if its a bit too big for the bike. Have to use it for a while and see how it goes. Might need to try a Domke.

IMG_7828.JPG
IMG_7827.JPG

LEZ90

Although the Bowery is a relatively small bag I manage to fit my Q2, V-Lux and some extras in it.

IMG_8788.JPG
IMG_8991.JPG