The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro with the Leica S - achieving 1:1

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The Leica APO-Macro-Summarit-S 120mm f/2.5, as S users know, goes to 1:2 magnification, and not the 1:1 that "real" macro lenses reach. There are a few ways to achieve 1:1 on the Leica S through adapted lenses. The Contax 120/4 is the most frequently used alternative. Pentax 67 lenses also adapt easily. But people who use the S 120/2.5 frequently develop an "out of my cold dead fingers" attitude and find the notion of using a different 120 upsetting.

Meanwhile, the APO-Tele-Elmar-S 180mm f/3.5 has an accessory known as the Elpro. The Elpro is a dedicated close-up lens that allows the 180 to shoot full frame head shots, which its slightly-too-far close focus makes difficult. Does the S 180 Elpro work on the S 120? No, alas. I'm told that it just doesn't help much.

But once upon a time, there was a Leica APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm f/2.8, and that lens also went only to 1:2 magnification. But it DID have a dedicated Elpro (16545 to its friends), and that accessory DID get the R macro to 1:1. Rumor had it that if you could mount the 16545 on the front of the S 120 macro, you could achieve 1:1.

But the S 120 has a 72mm thread and the 16545 has a 60mm thread. So all you'd need would be a 72mm to 60mm step-down ring. They don't make them. Someone used to make one and it was expensive (Leica to Leica adapter - what did you expect?). The 16545 itself can be had for around $300, which is about one S lens hood. Solution: A 72mm to 58mm step-down ring and a 58mm to 60mm step-up ring. Cost for both, $10.

And it works. The following test is technically indefensible, but as far as I can tell, the faults are all technique and not optics. Here is a near focus shot of a piano score (10 points if you recognize the piece, 1000 points if you can play it. Here's Horowitz showing how it's done.)

and here is a near 100% crop

Put on the 16545 and we get this *uncropped* image

And zooming in...

There it is. 1:1 macro on the S with all Leica glass. It really is sharp across the frame, but it will take me a while to set up something stable and aligned enough to show that. But even in this "test", the 1:1 images have more detail than an enlarged 1:2 image, so you *are* getting something positive.

Matt

Last edited:

PeterA

Elegant solution Matt - the original S I bought is one of the few regrets I have regarding photo gear the second regret I have is pictured next to my original S - as I grow older I become more nostalgic- I can see myself picking up a nice S body and a 75 again...I cant see myself buying an XPan film camera though...
atb Pete
L9992466.jpg