The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Miracles happen - the G9 II

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Much more than I had expected. Much better than the G9 for stills. Better than the GH6 for video unless you need RAW video. Very impressive!

It's not a question of if but when 💸

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Actually this camera became very interesting (for me). It offers definitely the best resolution in the m43 world with meanwhile almost NO issues of the higher 25MP and the Lumix lens options (especially the new ones) are more than appealing.

I am looking for a supplement to my L-mount FF setup, which I mainly use for my M lenses (with much success and satisfaction). But especially for wildlife the new G9II combined with the new 100-400 II would be a stellar combination for a VERY reasonable price. Add that new 12-35 II and call it a day.

Some new food for thought ....

raist3d

I would wait for real independent reviews past the influencer avalanche (this applies to all brands).

Speaking for myself- I don't think this is what the system needs. A micro four thirds camera with literally the same body size of a FF camera - and of the same brand no less.
But perhaps in the Pansasonic ecosystem of pro videographers, it has a place. Very niche though.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would wait for real independent reviews past the influencer avalanche (this applies to all brands).

Speaking for myself- I don't think this is what the system needs. A micro four thirds camera with literally the same body size of a FF camera - and of the same brand no less.
But perhaps in the Pansasonic ecosystem of pro videographers, it has a place. Very niche though.
The G9 II is clearly a camera for "content creators" a category that is growing fast, and to which I to a certain degree belong, although not as a YouTuber. For me, full frame is a pointless exercise. What matters are:

- Technical abilities (frame rates for video and stills, bit rates, sound system, slow motion video, lack of cropping of video, IBIS etc.)
- Video and image quality
- Ergonomics
- Portability
- Connectivity
- Weather sealing and build quality
- "Ecosystem"

While the G9 II can hardly be called a winner within any of those categories, it scores high points in all. It's telling that Panasonic launched new versions of two of the lenses that really gives the system an advantage, the 35-100 f/2.8 and 100-400mm. Where else do you find a high quality 70-200mm eqv. that weighs in at 360g? Then there's full size HDMI, unlimited video without mechanical cooling, the use of SD-cards that can be found at any gas station, shutter angle, great ergonomics that have been more or less unchanged for a decade etc.

It's a bit like the Nikon D300 back in the day; it does everything it needs to do without any fuzz. It's a Volvo for content creators, a vehicle that will take you and your family safely to your destination, and will do so every day for years to come.

I was actually a bit sceptical to the original G9 back when it was launched, due to size and other factors, so I only bought mine last year. Having used it for a while, I can safely say that there is hardly a more solid photography and video experience around (until the G9 II) in a package this compact, when lenses and other gear are included.

I've never understood Panasonics attitude towards marketing though, but apparently it works well enough for them to continue making cameras. It's as if they prefer to be niche. Their re-launch of the Technics brand is another indication of that. Unfortunately, that may also explain why they occasionally launch cameras that only go on for a generation or two, like the GM1/5, the GX8 and the LX100. Great cameras that are well liked by their users, but probably not commercial successes.

Compared to the other business areas of Panasonic, their camera division must be tiny. It is however very visible, since literally, cameras are in the business of visuals. It probably serves them well as a marketing tool. The G9 II will never reach the production numbers of Sony or Canon, but thousands of satisfied users will all be good ambassadors for the Panasonic brand. As for independent reviews, just forget about it. Except for clickbaiters like Gerald Undone and Tony Northrup, Panasonic cameras are mostly reviewed and used by fanboys like myself. Like Volvo owners, we don't know about any better camera brand.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Another great review of the G9II

Arguably the best MFT camera existing today, even far better than the OM-1 IMHO

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This video by Wex Photo is nice to watch (what could be nicer than Scotland :cool:) and it shows lot of capabilities of the G9II in a very appealing way.

One thing to keep in mind, which is not new, but gains again new weight through the introduction of the G9II is that Panasonic makes a number of high quality lenses which are even Leica branded and of course show their capabilities and that Leica look - but for a much, Much, MUCH more reasonable price than original Leica lenses for either M or SL system.

For me the G9II gains more and more advantages and "want to haves" every day (y)

bensonga

Richard Wong's AF comparison with the original G9 and the OM-1 seems to confirm that:

Although I don't shoot video and only rarely need fast action autofocus, I was suprised re the difference and impressed with the G9II's performance in Wong's video comparison of the OM-1 and G9II AF "human recognition". Kudos to Panasonic for continuing to improve their high end MFT still camera. I may have to supplement my two G9s with a G9II.

The larger size of the G9/G9II is usually not a concern for me, but I have a few friends who own Pana MFT cameras and they are still dreaming of an updated camera with all of the design advantages/size of the original GX8 (myself included). The GX8 continues to be one of my favorite cameras, especially for travel. An updated GX8 style body with the features of the G9II, if that is even possible, would certainly get my dollars.

Just this month, three of the six images I printed for upcoming B&W and Color print exchanges were taken with my pair of GX8 cameras. That is 36 prints from GX8 images shared with friends/exchange participants in the US, India and the UK.

Gary

Last edited: