The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z lenses - QC issues?

doccdiamond

I just recently invested in a Nikon Z7ii and three primes (35, 50, 85mm; all 1.8). All of them show excellent central performance but two of them show really inconsistent unsymmetric depth of field distribution not only wide open but even at 2.8 from left to right in different wayes. Therefore alignment of the sensor might not be the reason. Wonder how consistent and centric the Z lenses are known for?

I mainly shoot architecture (and landscape) where this behavior is not acceptable. For portraits it would be not even recognized…

Darin Marcus

I currently own 4 Z S lenses (including the 85mm f/1.8), all bought new from their first shipments, and the Z50 kit lens bought new with the Z50 a few months after the first shipment. Based on my tests none of them have alignment issues.

Were yours bought new?

Alan

I only have 2 Z lenses, but they both checked out for uniformity on Z7s. I’d say return them.

pegelli

I think most consumer brands have QC issues, if they're decentered I'd say go for an exchange or a factory calibration.

tcdeveau

I’d return anything you have issues with. In my years of buying camera gear, I’ve never returned anything due to issues, but it took 3 copies of the 85 1.8S for me to get one that did what it was supposed to. Idk if that’s due to QC or poor shipping practices by the shop I purchased from though.

Darin Marcus

Yes, brand new. But keep in mind the Z7ii is much more demanding (MP, sensor size)
I forgot to mention that I tested and mostly use the Z S lenses on a Z6, so the sensor size is the same, but with only 24 MP - I agree that some issues are less visible on it than on a 45 MP sensor.

doccdiamond

Field curvature?

Rand
Field curvature should be a symmetric issue if properly centered which it isn’t.

Will see how Nikon will react but usually exchange in Europe is less easy compared to the US if they argue it is “in spec.”… but I placed it already at my retailer and they will compare it first with their rental material before talking to Nikon.

doccdiamond

Finally my dealer confirmed the asymmetric optical performance and even Nikon sees it but claims “it is in Spec”. My dealer tested more from his stock was surprised and confirmed the deviations as well. My final conclusion - even the primes (1.8 35 and 1.8 50) are not fully up to the resolution of the sensor of my Nikon Z7ii and show inconsistent behavior ( some kind of tilt of the focal plane’ even visible at f2.8 and 4).

As being a long term customer the dealer took the camera and 3 lenses back and I will not invest in Nikon anymore. QC in lens alignment is a serious issue if you need the system for landscape and architecture AND want to print large. And Nikon is not prepared to adjust anything. I had an issue with the optical performance of some Leica M lenses and they fine tuned it…! Of course a different price tag but as a professional much larger player Nikon should do better. Very unsatisfying…

trioderob

I have found the Z primes to be absolutely outstanding - I highly recommend them.
I have the 20 / 85 / 50 F1.8 's and their performance borders on miraculous.
Bear in mind that I come from the Nikon SLR system and in each case I find the 3 focal lengths - particular the 50 to be in another world from their SLR counterparts.

trioderob

I want to point out that I did an A/B comparison of the Nikon Z7 with the 20 z lens and compared it to a scene I had taken several years back with a D800 E and Zeiss 21 mm combo .

I was floored at the difference in quality with the Z combo - that original photo got me 3 place against 150 other photographers in a contest by the way.

perhaps you can use an Z adapter and a Nikon tilt shift lens for your work - that would really help your architecture photos

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have owned and used Z lenses 35, 50, 40, both 24-70's, 14-30, 70-200 on my Z7ii and none have had alignment issues. I suspect you have 1) a sensor issue, or less likely 2) possibly got bad samples of *both* lenses that are showing issues. Wides will show sensor and/or element alignment issues more readily than longer lenses.

doccdiamond

Jack,

my dealer used another NikonZ7ii from his rental service and a different new Z35mm 1.8 - similar skewing problem. That means the sensor positioning is most likely not an issue but maybe some batches of lenses are less precise or tightly checked? We all were surprised and even more that Nikon said that this is normal sample variation and „in tolerance“ with no support to fix this. This is not acceptable and they definitely lost me as a customer after 30years of trust in Nikon cameras and lenses for reportage. Unfortunately…