The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Seriously considering switch from Sony to the sl 601

Atracksler

I’ve been shooting Sony pretty much exclusively for the last few years, I had the original A7, a 6400, a few rx100, and lately the A7 r3. I did have a short stint with the Hasselblad H3 before a hand injury, which made it too big and unwieldy, though I loved that.

The only one I really liked was the original A7. The r3 changed the grip, which is a bit too deep for my cambo actus, and my pinkie hangs off which is a small thing, that adds up after an all day gig. I also hate the menus the more I use them.

I’ve had a m8 and m9, and while I loved both, they are terrible studio cameras for product, which is what I mainly shoot. Work requires video as well. I’ve never gotten the hang of video out of the A7r3. It’s ok at best. Honestly my iphone 13 pro is better for me.

I really don’t need all the resolution from the r3, so I’m considering the SL 601. Is this a terrible decision?

I’d love to hear your opinions. Thanks.

pegelli

I think for these kind of questions in the end only you can tell. Experience from others is great and can point in a certain direction but only marginally indicative for your use case.

So the best advice I can give is to rent one and try for yourself, probably the best way to avoid a big loss in case the switch doesn't work out.

Last edited:

TechTalk

A single camera to cover all of your needs is sometimes not the best solution. You may find that you really need more than one camera to get the most satisfactory results for different applications.

TechTalk

It's relevant if it works well for you in producing satisfying images that make you and your clients happy. If you're comparing features and specs to other cameras, I don't know the answer.

jrp

The SL 601 is a great walk about camera, or a platform for M lenses, although it lacks IBIS. It would not be my first choice for a studio camera.

There are fewer specialty lenses available for l mount, although the likes of the 105mm Sigma macro lens seems to be spectacular. Likewise, you will find flash news remote shooting options more limited with the SL 601.