The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Simple pleasures: Cameras and other analog pursuits which do not require batteries.

MartinN

It’s strange for me at times, I never think of the batteries in the FM2n, or the Nikkormat FTNs… I guess it is because the button batteries last so long! But this recharging requirement of digital everything these days drives me nuts.

Keeping up with everything like: phones; cameras; iPad; countless personal and domestic gadgets; car battery in the old sedan which serves as our back-up transportation; and much more is a hassle and a certain stress at times. These are the things that creep into our lives and constrict our freedom of mind and body to a degree.

I have successfully resisted letting the garage be filled up with electric lawn mowers, trimmers, edger, blower, drills, and various car maintenance tools. And hopefully, I will not have to resort to electric vehicles before my “Use by ______” expiry date.😇

Ah, the mythical magical EV. Soon to be in everyone’s garage, right? Great! But… Not so fast, the poor, the aging living on Social Security, and the lower working class getting started with family and home, among many others, cannot buy an expensive new car, let alone an EV. They have to rely on old tech transportation.

We are among them. And yet I applaud the current efforts to move forward with mitigating climate change, pollution, etc. even though some are apparently misguided, like chasing rainbows because they are so attractive and seemingly easy.

But enough of that. Time will tell how the current world will change, and I am betting that collateral, unintended consequences will always be the devils we must wrestle.

Who was it? Who said that life is simple, but humans insist on making living complicated? LOL😂

Battery allergic… cool descriptive term, and interesting thoughts arise… however, in my home, we survive each minute because of medical devices operated by batteries and literally, we can not live without them. Life is better with many things but I prefer to keep things in balance partly because of finances and means. We need a battery for the car. Sure. But… We don’t need an electric wheelchair because I am the power behind that device… I push it. 🙂 I am somewhat healthier because of the exercise!

Cameras are amazing these days. But I use a lot of film and enjoy the craft of film photography. It’s all about “balance” to me. I am somewhat healthier because of that, too!

Stress-free walks in the morning/afternoon are rarely done without my camera bag but it is rare that I actually shoot even a single frame. I prefer to just enjoy the physical experience of the walk, even if it is only 20 minutes.

And if I were able to take the time necessary to go to our local lake to cast my fly rod, I would be in a better place. No camera or battery required.

That old FM2n in my green Ruggedwear Domke bag uses a battery but it is hardly a frequent replacement item. And yet it has a simplicity and a charm of its own, in design and in use. When we were first married and starting a family, it was the only camera we had or could afford. Life was good!😇

Life is still good. I can’t think of a better digital camera for me than the Leica S 006. The only thing is, how do I keep it somewhat simple? 🤷🏼‍♂️… well, I use it all the time for florals, in the garden, so travel complications are a thing of the past. At least I have that.

Good news is ahead for the digital side of my daily life. There is a grand future plan for the S now that I have finally bought a new battery! Let’s see where I go with that! (My favorite photograph is always the Next Image!) Or book.🙂

Stay tuned!!!

And please offer your own strategies to keep things simple, to at least some degree!😂
Yes , so well written and with wisdom of life.

I can hear Zen ?

Godfrey

Well, I'm not battery-phobic. What electrical power does to enable capabilities that are useful is large. So I accept that batteries are a part of modern life, and I take advantage of them, and maintain them. ...where and when needed. I continue to enjoy shooting photographs with film, and most of my film cameras do not require batteries to operate (although most that have a meter do require a battery to meter).

Compromise sensibly between what you want and what you need, do the maintenance, and be happy. That's all. :)

G

ggibson

I recently picked up a new astro tracker, the Omegon LX Quattro. It's fully mechanical, using a simple wound spring and gears to slowly rotate. No batteries required! I had previously tested out the Move Shoot Move tracker, but I wasn't satisfied with the precision of its movements, the device construction overall, and its reliance on batteries. I haven't done full tests on the Omegon yet, but I like the concept better at least, and I've seen successful uses from other photographers.

Admittedly, I find polar scopes a PITA to look through and align, so I plan to swap that part out for a battery-powered green laser (the MSM tracker came with one, and I found it quite easy to align). :D

Omegon LX Quattro Astro Tracker
by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

4season

Having spent many hours teaching myself how to restore old cameras, I hesitate to call them "simple"! But nevertheless, here's an example of an earlier restoration project which I was most pleased with:
_3050424.jpg
Over the years, I've come to appreciate how many of the things I acquired had no real lasting value to me, and have been teaching myself to buy less, or at least be slower about it. Sometimes by postponing a purchase for a few days or weeks, I become bored with whole idea before I've even spent a penny! :D I've "lost" many eBay auctions without placing a single bid. And the fact that I can recall so few of them clearly, speaks volumes, I think.

But I'm okay with this FED-2: Monetary value isn't much, but it has meaning to me, because I had a hand in it's (re)creation.

Nokton48

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

My 150mm F9 Rodenstock Apo-Ronar, for the Plaubel Peco Junior view camera, with custom made by me, Jim Galvin Back, that takes Wind Knob Graphic Backs, very quick to operate and modern reliable. An Ednalite Magnifier, and also my olde Printer's Loupe, hang off the camera. Both loupes are great for inspecting the image uber sharp. I just got a series 5 Hood and Medium Yellow Filter for this lens, this completes the lens. It's mounted on a 3D printed board from Italy, light trapped by me with adhesive foam and ready to roll. Fred Newmans Light Hood is what I use in leiu of focusing cloth, it's more comfortable to me, as well as being fully light tight, for extended viewing. I love Apo Ronars, this is the tiniest one. In fact I like it so much I have three of them, two iin barrel $50 each. So same lens for different cameras, best of the best. Broncolor C171 Monolight Beauty Grid Head camera right, silver reflector camera left. New Background painted for me by Artist David Maheu, "Faded Linen"

f6cvalkyrie

From when I studied photography at the Nederlandse Fotovakschool in Apeldoorn (NL), more than 40 years ago ...
I hated the much misused Cambo view cameras the school supplied to the students and invested in my own SINAR f ... and two lenses, the Rodenstock Sironar-N 150/5.6 and 210/5.6
I still own the camera, even bought a P rear standard for it and occasionally still use it, not for film but with an insert with a Nikkor F mount and an F to Micro 4/3 adapter ...

This is the 210mm lens ... sorry for a bit of dust, the gear in this case needs a cleaning ...

_C316697.jpg

Nokton48

A trio of Plaubel Makiflexes by Nokton48, on Flickr

The final Swan Song of the Plaubel Camera Company, (in the early 1960's) was the reflex-SLR version Plaubel Makiflex. Here is my collection of Makiflexes, the two on the left, are the Automatic "Makiflex". Very similar to a European Auto Graflex, with automatic diaphragm mechanism. You cock the lens, and it stops down the lens right before exposure (hence "Automatic"). The Plaubel original lenses are the 180mm Schneider Xenar, and the 210mm F4.5 Schneider Xenar. On the right, is the "Makiflex Standard" with 150mm F2.8 Schneider Xenotar. This model has a more restricted range of shutter speeds, and no auto-iris provision. These cameras are from what I call "The Golden Age of Photography".