The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera Images

vjbelle

It really is best on a pancake camera to shim the back so that all lenses focus beyond infinity. A hard stop infinity focus with a helical is something that can vary with temperature swings. If you happen to own any lens that has an infinity stop that cannot be adjusted on the lens( such as the Schneider 150mm ) then shim that lens to go beyond infinity and hopefully all other lenses will also focus beyond infinity. If not then adjust those lens rings.

Don't lose any of the small helical screws.....

Victor B.

mristuccia

The SK focus ring was calibrated by Cambo to reach infinity at the specification plane of the digital sensor.

However, you can re-achieve infinity focus with your reset sensor position easily. Loosen the three small screws located within the grip area of the focus ring and then carefully turn the focus ring firmly against the infinity stop, which will move the infinity stop rearwards relative to its current position. Retighten the screws and, using your live view, confirm that the lens can now be focused at infinity.

My preference is to be able to turn the focus ring about 5mm beyond infinity, which allows the point of exact focus to be found visually on the live view at 100% by turning the focus ring back and forth.

Rod
I do the same thing. We lose a little close focus ability by extending the helical beyond infinity, but I'm happy with that trade off.

Dave
Thank you guys. GetDPI is a never ending source of knowledge. :)
I'll try. And I agree, setting up a reach which is a bit beyond infinity is better for focusing, especially on backs with live view.

mristuccia

It really is best on a pancake camera to shim the back so that all lenses focus beyond infinity. A hard stop infinity focus with a helical is something that can vary with temperature swings. If you happen to own any lens that has an infinity stop that cannot be adjusted on the lens( such as the Schneider 150mm ) then shim that lens to go beyond infinity and hopefully all other lenses will also focus beyond infinity. If not then adjust those lens rings.

Don't lose any of the small helical screws.....

Victor B.
That I will do first, but I think I'm already as close as possible right now.

usm

I'm trying to understand the limits of the SK 35XL on my CFV-50c.
This is a vertical stitch of 3 horizontal images taken at center, at 15mm fall and at 15mm rise on the lens.
Cambo Wide DS digital, SK 35XL, f11, center filter and LCC applied.

I still have problems achieving the correct focus. Now it seems that I reach the end at infinity on the lens ring but the image is still front focused, more on the tree at the bottom-central part than on the buildings behind.
I've shimmed the digital back interface to make the lens focus on a perfect horizontal plane, but it seems now that this shim has moved the back too far away and I cannot reach infinity focus anymore.

Everything is still working-in-progress here... 😬

Anyway: Berlin, Westhafen

View attachment 212317
for me, it is too small to see it.
But you said that you shifted 15mm in both directions?
With the center filter and LCC?
Are you using Phocus, C1 or Lightroom for the raw files?

I have the same combo (lens and db) on a Arca Swiss Factum. When shifted 15mm I will get some pattern which are just viewable in 100%. They are not completely corrected with the checkerboard filter in Phocus. In this example I moved the histogram to make it better visible...

As ich asked you already in the other thread. If you have time to send me raw files of a 15mm shifted (short side) LCC with and without center filter, I would be very thankful.

SK35XL_f8_15L_90L_LCC_ph380_small.jpg

Last edited:

mristuccia

for me, it is too small to see it.
But you said that you shifted 15mm in both directions?
With the center filter and LCC?
Are you using Phocus, C1 or Lightroom for the raw files?

I have the same combo (lens and db) on a Arca Swiss Factum. When shifted 15mm I will get some pattern which are just viewable in 100%. They are not completely corrected with the checkerboard filter in Phocus. In this example I moved the histogram to make it better visible...

As ich asked you already in the other threat. If you have time to send me raw files of a 15mm shifted (short side) LCC with and without center filter, I would be very thankful.

View attachment 212330
The reason why I did not share it with you yet, is because I want to shot a series with and without CF.
I only have the one done with CF right now, but I will share the files with you in PM by the end of today. Maybe the ones with CFs areenough for your need.

I hope I can do the full set (CF vs no CF) next week.

By the way, I used Phocus for the above shot. And I overexposed the LCCs by 2 stops in respect to the real shot exposure.

Best
Marco

Reactions: usm

dchew

Another great day was in El Chalten, hiking Sendero Fitz Roy. The colors that morning were from another world. I'm sure this image will evolve; it is one of those cases where I'm struggling to figure how far to tone down the colors since what we experienced looks beyond neon. The sky hues were bouncing throughout the canyon highlighting the fall color. An incredible sight. Sk60xl with some tilt, Alpa STC, IQ4 150

The second image is upstream about 45 minutes later. Same setup. Sorry, 35xl for the second image, and no tilt.

Dave

Last edited:

dchew

Just great, Dave!! How long and difficult are the hikes?

Victor B.
Thank you, Victor. They were about 10k in, so a total of about 11 miles both ways. The first one in Chile a little more, the one in Argentina a little less. Snow made the first one a little dicey coming back down. One of the three of us had no hiking poles, so we shared; it was turning to ice as we descended from temperature and compaction.

I do highly recommend them both. They are different experiences. The Chile hike is basically the destination. Not much image making along the way. The Argentina hike is much slower because you are constantly distracted. Justin and I could have spend a week in that valley, and we didn't see a fraction of what we could have seen.

Dave

usm

The reason why I did not share it with you yet, is because I want to shot a series with and without CF.
I only have the one done with CF right now, but I will share the files with you in PM by the end of today. Maybe the ones with CFs areenough for your need.

I hope I can do the full set (CF vs no CF) next week.

By the way, I used Phocus for the above shot. And I overexposed the LCCs by 2 stops in respect to the real shot exposure.

Best
Marco
Thank you!
short answer, don't want to mess up this image thread. I can't see the pattern in your files.
The reason could be:
1. The center filter.
2. My possible misaligned lens

that's why the LCC shots without CF is important for me.

But there is no rush!
Greetings, Mario

Steve C

Another great day was in El Chalten, hiking Sendero Fitz Roy. The colors that morning were from another world. I'm sure this image will evolve; it is one of those cases where I'm struggling to figure how far to tone down the colors since what we experienced looks beyond neon. The sky hues were bouncing throughout the canyon highlighting the fall color. An incredible sight. Sk60xl with some tilt, Alpa STC, IQ4 150

The second image is upstream about 45 minutes later. Same setup.

Dave

You are living your John Muir quote. Fantastic work!

mristuccia

Thank you!
short answer, don't want to mess up this image thread. I can't see the pattern in your files.
The reason could be:
1. The center filter.
2. My possible misaligned lens

that's why the LCC shots without CF is important for me.

But there is no rush!
Greetings, Mario
Let's continue in the private conversation, unless you feel your issue may be helpful to the whole community. In this case my suggestion is opening a dedicated thread where we can discuss it publicly.

Reactions: usm

Whisp3r

ARC0001-P0004922-Melvinkobe-Photography.jpg

The learning process continues :cool: I wish I had some spare time to take the camera out! This one was shot a couple of weeks ago in my town, Gent, Belgium. Around four o'clock I think.
In the photo: the central bus station at Gent-Sint-Pieters (the main train station), and the Flemish government building.
Arca-Swiss RM3di, Phase One IQ4150, Schneider-Kreuznach 43XL.

guphotography

View attachment 212514

The learning process continues :cool: I wish I had some spare time to take the camera out! This one was shot a couple of weeks ago in my town, Gent, Belgium. Around four o'clock I think.
In the photo: the central bus station at Gent-
View attachment 212514

In the photo: the central bus station at Gent-Sint-Pieters (the main train station), and the Flemish government building.
Arca-Swiss RM3di, Phase One IQ4150, Schneider-Kreuznach 43XL.
What a striking shot, Carlos!

I wonder, if it is possible, to position camera further to the right, so the canopy on the left does not clip the bottom of the window facade on the building to the left, then use shift to bring the mass to the centre of the frame?

This is the magic of tech cam, allowing you to manipulate composition in ways no other digital system can, such a liberating working method.

Whisp3r

I wonder, if it is possible, to position camera further to the right, so the canopy on the left does not clip the bottom of the window facade on the building to the left, then use shift to bring the mass to the centre of the frame?

This is the magic of tech cam, allowing you to manipulate composition in ways no other digital system can, such a liberating working method.
Thanks Gunner!

I see what you mean, an added bonus could also be that the side of the tall building will be more prominent. It's a three minute walk from my home so I will probably revisit the location sooner or later and see what happens if I move to the right. I've been eyeing a brutalist structure as a potential subject as well but I'm waiting for the right lens to show up at my doorstep :cool:

I'm beginning to grasp the tech cam advantages, but I'm still thinking and visualizing in a simple, straight-forward manner, e.g. place the camera in accordance to what I see right then and there, and not in accordance to what I could potentially see if I manipulate the composition.

shfoto

A piece of mural art from the Ukrainain artist Olga Sabadin. Taken at an abandon cellulose production site in Switzerland. The artist has a favor for colorful pictures where flowers play an important role. Quite a contrast to the current situation in the Ukraine...

CF044026_Panorama 1.2400px.jpg
Cambo 1600 | IQ3 100 | SK 60xl two images stitch | f11 | 1/30 s