The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using old Leica film cameras

algrove

Here's a BWXX image shot @200. I will get back to this place to shoot some old Eastman 5222 @200 and 2369 (Hi-Contrast so they say) @25. Also shot this place with Scala 50 reversal, but have not yet developed it.

M1004699pos.jpg

Last edited:

dave.gt

Hi, Lou, 🙂

Your hard work in the past few weeks has been impressive! Thanks for sharing!

In regard to the first image, it seems quite flat and lacking contrast. I am unsure if the developing process, scanning, or post-processing with software is the issue here. It may be a combination of factors.

First, how do the negatives look? That as you know is the most important thing. Everything after getting good negatives can be redone so many ways. If the negatives look good, the scanning (or camera) may need revisiting. I have no experience with using cameras in lieu of scanning, so I really can’t comment on that part. Scanning is a love-hate thing for me! LOL… but I now consider it as a part of the craft!🤷🏼‍♂️

And then we have the post-processing of the scans. I have only used Lightroom Classic and Photoshop, so processing is now quite easy for me and relatively quick. I have never used C1. Therefore I can not comment on it.

So, all of that said, I have no idea how the first image appears to have almost no contrast.

I think from what I have seen of your excellent work with digital files and filters that you are like me… I love excellent grey tones and contrast. Sometimes a lot of contrast. Sometimes a dreamy look.

I spent the last 18 months methodically pairing several developers with my top three favorite films and I am now comfortable with the consistency of my work:

*Note: These images are Acros II 100 film using Ilford DD-X developer. I have similar results with Eastman 5222 XX film using DD-X developer.

08F7355B-1B7C-4793-8C4E-68CDFD14692F.jpeg

CC9EAFBC-5C7D-4F52-8235-0EFC735E5105.jpeg

C03A0A2C-C640-4138-B7C9-8E52828F3614.jpeg

These are just examples of what results work for me and I am sure most anyone can do far better. My point is, it took awhile to get to where I am mostly because I am slow…sigh… but also because, like one shooting their first 10,000 digital photos, it is a learning experience. And one’s results and preference are always different and unique. So please feel free to dismiss everything I have just said! 😂

I like your other two images, especially the last one. I think I can see where you are heading and I think you are on the right track to getting more contrast in your images.

I’m excited for you! Knowing my limited experience, with each roll I shoot and process, I do feel I’m progressing and I hesitate to go beyond sharing what seems to work for me. I’m still learning… and I hope that part never stops.

TBH, in photography I find myself passionately looking for the next image. Not sure why that is, or if it is a fault of mine, but I can say that I am definitely looking forward to YOUR next image, each and every single one! You are inspiring me.👍

Keep ‘em coming!😃

Last edited:

algrove

I do notice what we see here is way less contrasty than my original. Perhaps pulling the image into one's browser will improve the image.

algrove

Wow, what a great motif you chose!👍👍👍
Thanks. You mentioned along with your well thought out and processed images above that you have 3 favorite films, but mention 2 of therm. So what is the third film you like?

I see some recommend using D-96 with the old Eastman 5222. Have you tried that combo in lieu of 5222 and DD-X?

dave.gt

Thanks. You mentioned along with your well thought out and processed images above that you have 3 favorite films, but mention 2 of therm. So what is the third film you like?

I see some recommend using D-96 with the old Eastman 5222. Have you tried that combo in lieu of 5222 and DD-X?

dave.gt

Hey, 🙂at the moment, I use the following B&W films:

1. Acros II 100
2. TMax 100 (EI=50)
3. Eastman 5222 XX

and the following developers:

1. Ilford DD-X
2. Rodinal
***D-76 (previously used this for years but I detest using powdered chemistry so I don’t use it anymore)

I’m sure there will be some other choices for me to use in the future but for now, I am delighted with the films and developers I currently use.😃

*Edit to include Tri-X which I used for so many years. I look forward to using it again.

algrove

I hear you about powder developers, but I have some. As for liquid developers, to me a new one is the FlicFilm Black/White and Green which is a thick ECO liquid used 1+49 and of course the Cinestill Monobath developer comes in liquid form also.

I have Acros II, but am saving it for when I run out of other less desirable films. So many rave about it, but the price is high as is the Ilford Delta 3200 too and neither of these come in 100" rolls for bulk loading. Got a 100' of 5222 for $110 and if I get 18 rolls 36exp out of that then my price will come out to just over $6/roll. Saw HP5+ 100' at under $100 somewhere.

Last edited:

algrove

There is an old, what used to be, White House here in town and it can be used as a good test for bright and dark areas in the same scene in order to see how various film/developer combinations handle these extremes.
This one 5222 developed in Rodinal 1+25 @75F or 24C. Exposed for the average here with M6 meter about center of image.

M1004427.jpg