The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Very old French postcards-copies made with M11

algrove

My wife just opened a package her mother left her prior to her death about 15 years ago and to our surprise this package includes about 150-200 postcards mainly from France, Europe and Africa. Some are street photography, others are portraits and even some show WWI dog fights or the War aftermath while others show traditional life in France and Bretonne circa 1910-1918.

Before we let these go I want to copy them 1:1 with my M11 now that I got a cheap 85mm Macro APO M lens.

All these postcards are about 8x12 cm with some larger. I am amazed at how good some of these images are on a postcard! Many have inscriptions printed on them or on the back to explain the location or meaning of the image and in these days the French stamp would be put on the front. Most were 5 Francs and some were 10 francs.

So here they are, the first few. The copies came out OK. I tweaked them in C1 just a little and then converted to B&W.

M1004149.jpgM1004150-1811.jpgM1004151.jpg

Last edited:

dave.gt

Wow! :):):)I have never seen this sort of postcards! These are amazing . Can’t wait to see the rest as you get them available to share.

algrove

So I asked my wife more about these postcards. Since when we first looked at them I was mesmerized. She now mentioned that when she was about 15 and went looking up into the attic of a house they had moved into this is where she found them and completely forgot about them until recently when I found the package in a spare room. Most have personal notes on the back side just like a typical postcard and depict where this same person was traveling. By now I recognize his handwriting. The oldest is like around 1906. The Paris street postcard is from a 1911 postmark.

Last edited: