The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtländer Nokton 50 1.0 (now with samples)

Paul Spinnler

Hi guys

I just got this lens and was able to compare it in the Leica store with a Noct 0.95; and as established already by Fred Miranda in his lengthy publicly available review it is an absolutely fantastic lens. Wide open CA is very well controlled and it is very sharp. In fact, at 1/8 of the price of the Leica equivalent I am shocked.

I compared sharpness, aberration, edge performance, etc. and it beat the Noct on all accounts.

At 1.4 it also is seemingly outperforming the venerable 50 1.4 (no scientific test here). Just remarkable.

Although heresy in view of some, I am really happy with this purchase.

Just as a pointer for those interested in that super dreamy Noctilux look ...

Best
Paul

Last edited:

dave.gt

Hi guys

I just got this lens and was able to compare it in the Leica store with a Noct 0.95; and as established already by Fred Miranda in his lengthy publicly available review it is an absolutely fantastic lens. Wide open CA is very well controlled and it is very sharp. In fact, at 1/8 of the price of the Leica equivalent I am shocked.

I compared sharpness, aberration, edge performance, etc. and it beat the Noct on all accounts.

At 1.4 it also is seemingly outperforming the venerable 50 1.4 (no scientific test here). Just remarkable.

Although heresy in view of some, I am really happy with this purchase.

Just as a pointer for those interested in that super dreamy Noctilux look ...

Best
Paul
Hi, Paul, it sounds extremely cool…and it would be very interesting to see some images you have made with this lens!:):):)

Paul Spinnler

SL2 and then post-production C1; I think the SL2 is a must for this lens or the M with a Visoflex. It is a quite contrasty lens too, ie it creates a colour explosion on a sunny day ...

Paul Spinnler

I am a die-hard Leica fan and three years ago traded away my Noct 0.95 for Leica S stuff; since then I was missing the look, but the reason why I traded it away was because of the very strong chromatic aberrations it exhibited. This lens supersedes the Noct - I really didn't want to buy it - and even the Leica store manager wasn't able to tell a difference side-by-side at full-screen magnification except that the Voigtlaender looked sharper and had less aberrations.

I think what we are seeing here is a lens manufacturer catching up after a decade of lens production innovations ... it is the only non-Leica lens I own and on top of that it is very compact and looks great on the SL.

Screenshot_2022-04-22 23.26.00_4daliM.jpg

Paul Spinnler

One of many test shots I did; first the scene and then at the exact the same distance the focus on the Summilux 24; first Noct, then Voigtlaender. On the edges the performance of the Noct deteriorates significantly while Voigtlaender just has more vignetting but stays a quite a bit sharper comparatively. Impressive given the price difference and on top of that it is lighter and more compact. I was baffled and the Leica store manager agreed that it is difficult to make a case for the Leica ...

Screenshot_2022-04-22 23.34.22_49w9OK.jpgScreenshot_2022-04-22 23.34.52_gLGkbl.jpgScreenshot_2022-04-22 23.35.07_GupmDg.jpg

Paul Spinnler

Look at this shot. Wide open. Default sharpening in C1, no CA correction. I had the Noct 0.95 for many years and this shot would have resulted in really bad CA. Like big, thick magenta lines around the highlights to the point that correcting it looks not so nice ... and also note the sharpness wide open. No vignetting correction here. If this is the worst CA I get on a sub 2k Noct replacement @1.0 ... difficult to ignore. It is a really nice tool in one's kit ...Screenshot_2022-04-22 23.42.38_eKSuFM.jpgScreenshot_2022-04-22 23.42.50_KjVS0o.jpg

Paul Spinnler

evfNow a comparison how the Noct and Voigt behave off-centre. Quick fall-off of quality / sharpness in the case of the Noct vs. Voigt. I was careful to focus with SL2 via EVF and at the almost same distance. The worse quality is that off the Noct 0.95.Screenshot_2022-04-22 23.45.36_z92yt3.jpgScreenshot_2022-04-22 23.45.52_NxHM6l.jpgScreenshot_2022-04-22 23.46.08_mjDS2o.jpg

I think Voigtlaender produced their best lens yet with this one. Waiting list at this dealer is at least 4-6 months ... think this thread will get a bit more feedback than without pics, I suppose.

Last edited: