The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where to buy new Leica M?

Amin

My brother is looking for one, and everywhere is back ordered. Where is the best place to pre-order (best chance of getting one soon)?

(I'm talking about the M240, not Mini M :p)

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Hong Kong or Singapore, I guess, but you will have to buy the kit lens (Noctilux) with it..:poke:

wstam

Hong Kong or Singapore, I guess, but you will have to buy the kit lens (Noctilux) with it..:poke:
Not exactly true. I bought mine in SG in Apr without any lens. Just the body. Must know which shops to go to. Anyway don't think they have stock at this moment.

Photojazz

I think I will wait until they go out of production. :loco:(Eye Roll) :wtf: :argue: (Me on the left, Leica on the right)

monza

It's a bit late to get one soon; that would just be pure luck. :)

As a consumer: I would put in a backorder with several dealers.

As dealer: I'm not taking any backorders, because most of those are lost when other dealers get deliveries. (See previous paragraph.) This way when one finally shows up, I can simply enter an order and ship it. There is no point in actively collecting backorders as the effort will not be rewarded the vast majority of the time.

Have had many conversations over the years with Leica and the regional rep about creating a system so dealers don't lose backorders to other dealers. They listen patiently and agree it's a good idea, and then carry on.

Photojazz

I'm thinking 3-4 years... LOL. I like my M9, I like my M9...

Seriously, I have not even seen a vapor trail of one. Let alone a real product. But I was not early out of the gate looking for one either.

bijansabet

Thanks everyone (and Amin!). I've got my name on 3 lists. Two local and also the Leica store in NYC :)

I guess one day I'll get a nice surprise phone call!

Eric Boe

Delivery Patterns

We all need to have something to do while waiting for our M to arrive. I have observed the following delivery patterns, mostly from posts on the Leica camera forum.

1) Leica Stores get the biggest allocation, and require no deposit to get on their waiting list. Initial orders at the Los Angeles store were delivered within 2 weeks, but I'm sure the wait would be longer now.
2) Leica Boutiques get the next biggest allocation, with some locations having serviced over two dozen customers. They are independently owned, and some require deposits or prepayments. I have heard of deliveries in less than 4 weeks.
3) Medium-sized Leica dealers seem to be next in line. A post claims PopFlash delivered to their 28th (or was it 25th) customer waiting last week.
4) Small shops are receiving some allocations. I was #7 on the list locally and received mine last week after a six month wait.
5) Big photo dealers, like the ones listed on nowinstock.net, are also receiving stock. I have no data on how quickly they are fulfilling their list.

Calling small dealers is a bit like mushroom hunting. I ran into a 10770 in Orlando in April and was able to refer another buyer to the store. Pure luck for us both.

Happy hunting.

mmbma

It seems that M is shipping in greater quantities. Maybe Leica has final dealt with the production bottlenecks.
The new Ms don't fetch as high a resell price as they did a few months ago which is a great thing

bubuli

hey guys...

anybody have tips on where to gat a new M (preferably a black one) quickly? currently on the list with Ken H and Tamarkin and unfortunately no ETA on when they're getting one for me.

thanks.

dexter