The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LEICA DISTOMETER D5 a battery eater ? ? ?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have aquired a LEICA distometer D5 .
On the first day I got familiar with all the function although only the simply distance measurement function is of interest .
Next morning I found the batteries to be empty .
I loaded a fully charged AA set and found that set (two AA) drained after about 24 to 30 hours , without having done any measurement .
The same happened with an other set as well .

As per the users manual , a fully charged set of batteries shall be good for 5000 measurements .

For those of you , who use a D5 , what are your experiences ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have the D8 which I assume is pretty much the same design. You need to watch for the unit powering itself up in the camera bag, even inside it's case. I've noticed that I have to be careful not to have anything applying pressure to the D8 case otherwise the on button can select itself (with the tell-tale beep when you put it away).

Maybe this is your issue?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have the D8 which I assume is pretty much the same design. You need to watch for the unit powering itself up in the camera bag, even inside it's case. I've noticed that I have to be careful not to have anything applying pressure to the D8 case otherwise the on button can select itself (with the tell-tale beep when you put it away).

Maybe this is your issue?
The power on push button should be recessed . That seems to be a serious design error for the DISTOs . I am thinking about a practicable solution for that issue . Till then , I will have to carry a spare battery set with me .

OK. But that is not the problem in my case .
The DISTO D5 is laying untouched on the desk and looses complete battery power within 24 -36 hours .

I think , I will give LEICA GEOSYSTEMS a call today .
But independent of their answer , I am interested to hear from DISTO D5 users about their experience .

GrahamWelland

I agree - sounds like a faulty Disto to me. Leica Geosystems seem like an organization that'll sort it out for you pretty expediently since these seem to be premium products.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I had a call with LEICA GEOSYSTEMS today and they requested me to send the distometer directly to their service station . (Not to the dealer ! ! !)
They offered to send me a replacement distometer for free , for the time they will check and fix my D5 . I will send it today and give feedback when the D5 has returned .
Things like that should not happen but do .

anGy

Where did you buy it in Germany, if I may ask ?
(someone spoke about good CPO Leica prices, but it was in the US I think)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Where did you buy it in Germany, if I may ask ?
(someone spoke about good CPO Leica prices, but it was in the US I think)
anGy

Prices vary from 370,00€ to 520,00€ for the very same article .:deadhorse:
I will PM you the dealers details , if that makes sense for you . Just let me know .

Terry

I bought a reconditioned D5 from CPO. Perfect condition. Would not know that is was reconditioned. Comes in regular packaging and has everything in the box. Only difference is in duration of the warranty. Saves a lot of money on something that will probably get somewhat beat up in the field.

GrahamWelland

I bought a reconditioned D5 from CPO. Perfect condition. Would not know that is was reconditioned. Comes in regular packaging and has everything in the box. Only difference is in duration of the warranty. Saves a lot of money on something that will probably get somewhat beat up in the field.
Me too. I think that they must have driven the truck past the store and returned to the factory because my refurb/reconditioned disto was the same - basically brand new and several $'00 off new.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Good news from LEICA GEOSYSTEMS service today .
My new DISTO D5 is found to be defective and is "eating up" batteries .
They will send me a new one by UPS express today .
This is an example of really good service as it should be .