The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Need bigger LCC card

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just realized that I am going to need a bigger size LCC material for my new lens. Wondering what folks are using. Most likely need 5x5 or 6x6 size. Not sure how big my Center filter is yet. Is there a commercial place I can buy one or material to make one. Just looking at the set shop in NY and not finding what I need and I need it right away too. Any ideas

Paul2660

Guy,

Here is a link to Ridout Plastics, I had them make several LCC"s for me out of the 2447 Acrylic sheet. It appears to be very similar in consistency and light transmission as the smaller 4 x 4 LCC that Capture Integration sells. I used the 1/8" thick versions. They will cut to size.

Plexiglass White & Black acrylic sheets

Paul Caldwell

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Just realized that I am going to need a bigger size LCC material for my new lens. Wondering what folks are using. Most likely need 5x5 or 6x6 size. Not sure how big my Center filter is yet. Is there a commercial place I can buy one or material to make one. Just looking at the set shop in NY and not finding what I need and I need it right away too. Any ideas
Guy,

I guess you didn't get one of the LCC's that Jack made everyone at the DV workshop? I know it is bigger than the Capture LCC that I have. Dont know if that helps.

Guy Mancuso

I have given those LCC to people that have needed them along the way that needed them. Can't find one for myself

Terry

Check through all of your bags....you've got to have at least one of those around from before the workshop. Otherwise, Jack may still have a secret stash of them tucked away....If all else fails...off to the plastics store.

Guy Mancuso

I did people come over for lessons and I keep giving the damn things away. Lol

Yea looking for plexiglass companies here in town

Guy Mancuso

Measuring the biggest filter holder I have 4 3/4 square would be more than big enough. The ones coming from the Folks at CI are 3 5/8ths x 4 3/4. Just a little short on one side.

Paul2660

Guy, do you still have the old black users manual that came with the P30? it had a much larger LCC plate that would meet your needs. It's tucked into the inside flap.

Paul

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
when I researched new LCC materials for a larger LCC plate, I sent sets of my first 2 sample materials to Guy, Terry and Bob to test along with me. Those initial pieces were fine, but didn't work any better/different than the CI LCC plate. I then found the material I made for the workshop group, and sent Guy, Terry and Bob each one or two of them. This final material was easy to use and in most cases generates an excellent LCC with a 1 or 2-stop exposure bump. I think by then Guy was tired of trying them, was doing fine with teh CI plate and so tossed them away. And now he needs one :ROTFL:

Anyway, for those interested the material is 40% transmissive translucent white acrylic, and can be found at TAP plastics. They will cut it to any size you need up to 4 by 8 feet, so I am sure Guy can get exactly what he wants :)

Guy Mancuso

I gave them to folks that needed them when they came to my office for lessons ( you need to read what I wrote Green Giant). I'm a nice guy ya know, I just give stuff away. LOL

I just found a old lightbox under the guest room bed. Cutting it now for a temp. fix

Guy Mancuso

Well made 2 at 4 3/4 square and enough to make two more if needed. I'll sand them up and see how they do.

Guy Mancuso

Guy, do you still have the old black users manual that came with the P30? it had a much larger LCC plate that would meet your needs. It's tucked into the inside flap.

Paul
I don't think I do. But it is possible. I will look. Nice call

John Black

As Paul said, the LCC cards bundled with the non-Plus backs were very big - around 6" x 8". Not so long ago we were using Pringle's lids for white balance, so a coffee lid comes to mind.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I gave them to folks that needed them when they came to my office for lessons ( you need to read what I wrote Green Giant). I'm a nice guy ya know, I just give stuff away. LOL
Just razzin you :D -- the ones I made up last time were only 4"x 5-1/2" so not big enough to completely cover a 105mm filter. Anything evenly translucent and reasonably neutral in color will work. In fact, a sheet of plain white paper can be used in a pinch :). Another option is to white spray paint an old UV filter. The aforementioned acrylic is just really nice to use and generates great LCC's and is cheap...

Guy Mancuso

You know a plastic lid type would be nice as they don't break and I do like the idea of something round. That maybe worth looking at in the grocery store. The ones from the light box came out pretty good and I will adjust maybe size when I get the CF filter since I don't know it's size yet. BTW the ones Jack made where really nice as well. Buying a tech cam these things should just automatically be included in the sale. Hint, hint , hint.

Joe

Be sure and keep a stash of small coffee filters in the bag. They come in handy for all sorts of emergencies ..... including coffee;)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
when I researched new LCC materials for a larger LCC plate, I sent sets of my first 2 sample materials to Guy, Terry and Bob to test along with me. Those initial pieces were fine, but didn't work any better/different than the CI LCC plate. I then found the material I made for the workshop group, and sent Guy, Terry and Bob each one or two of them. This final material was easy to use and in most cases generates an excellent LCC with a 1 or 2-stop exposure bump. I think by then Guy was tired of trying them, was doing fine with teh CI plate and so tossed them away. And now he needs one :ROTFL:

Anyway, for those interested the material is 40% transmissive translucent white acrylic, and can be found at TAP plastics. They will cut it to any size you need up to 4 by 8 feet, so I am sure Guy can get exactly what he wants :)
4 by 8 foot would surely be big enough LOL
-bob