The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

85mm f1.2 on Medium Format

Zeiss 50 Jahre 85mm f1.2 lens on a Mamiya 645AFD body with a digital back.

From start to finish it is a long story but to cut it short, when I started this project I had no idea if this would work at all and if, to what extent. With the Zeiss being rare and pricey, I certainly didn't want to destroy it in the process! But I had no choice, not trying was not an option. I dismantled the rear portion of the lens to make it slimmer, followed by substantial drilling into the Mamiya body to make room for the lens. I also needed to shave the mirror by maybe 2-3cm and remove a fair number of camera components that were in the way. Having done all that, it was then possible to bolt the lens to the camera from the rear. Finally, I had to adjust the focusing screen so focus would match what I'm seeing in the viewfinder.

Function and limitations: Obviously it is not as pretty or as functional as a native lens. The invasive procedure means:
- the lens is attached to the body permanently
- you cannot stop down the lens.
- there is no infinity focus. Max focusing distance is abut 6m
- in the viewfinder the top quarter or so is blacked out because of the mirror shave
- there is no focus assist light; I'm assuming its because I pulled the electronics out
- metering works but its far from accurate. Best to shoot manual with a light meter or check histogram
- focusing is close to guesswork at the longer distances but is surprisingly manageable closer in. I'm using a Maxwell matte focusing screen. It does help.
- the mirror did get somewhat damaged during the modification and it is somewhat less reflective.
- the image circle covers the whole Aptus22 chip

Image quality (as I see it):
- within the lenses designated image circle everything is pin sharp (its even possible to see moire) with a nice smooth rendering
- the edges rapidly lose sharpness and seem to swirl the image around the center. I actually don't see this as a problem, considering my subject matter its more of a plus.
- there is only a (very) small bit of purple fringing in contrasty light
- bokeh is smooth and wonderful

Photos taken with this available here: Zeiss 85mm f1.2

cheers,
Marko

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Re: 85mm f1.2 on medium format

Love the ingenuity, Marko. And the images look great. That lens produces some of the best bokeh available and pairing it with a medium format sensor is a dream proposition for those who like to shoot fast.

Kurt

Stuart Richardson

You are a crazy person, in the best sense. The results looks great. What made you decide to go through all this effort, versus perhaps giving the 110/2 Planar a go? It seems to have a somewhat similar look...
But like I said, very nice that you decided what you wanted to do, and just did it, regardless of practicality.

SergeiR

Hm. Thanks. I wonder if its possible to just butcher one of 3 extension rings and use it as tail mount for 1.2. Pity that lens is so expensive that it overcomes desire to experiment a bit.

Mammy645

Very cool DIY project, it would interesting to see it compared to the Mamiya 80mm f/1.9.

drevil

Staff member

i think i have to do something similar one day with my contax645 and canon ts-e 17mm :D

Giorgio

Oh my God, you are a genius!

Great results btw, sort of a proprietary look!

Let me know if you would consider renting the camera, seriously.

ondebanks

Very ambitious project, delighted that it worked for you. The results look great.

Wow what a positive response! Thank you all :)
To answer some of the questions:
Stuart, for me it was a very easy decision. The 110/2 has a wonderful reputation and I certainly would like to try one someday. However, the 85/1.2 is a full one and a half stops faster. Not just the DOF, also the added light gathering abilities have come in handy. I also prefer the normal focal length. And I already have the RZ 110/2.8.
Sergei, yes indeed! I'm also not sure what you mean by the extension rings. Drilling was necessary to bring the lens close enough to the sensor so I could get a usable focusing range.
It would be interesting to compare to the Mamiya 80/1.9. Unfortunately I do not have this lens. I did a quick comparison test with the Canon 50/1.2 on my 5D. One closer in the other further out. Shot handheld so there are framing differences. What I see: The Canon is a very nice lens, but is clearly beaten by the Zeiss. It is still very sharp, and certainly better in the corners with less distortion, but the Zeiss has better bokeh, shallower DOF and noticeably less chromatic aberration. The Canon shots were cropped to 4:3.
I also attached a 100% crop of 'City'. Grain was added in post.
best,
Marko

PSon

135mm format Zeiss lens on digital medium format sensor. In these cases, there were no light loss and no macro narrow depth of field exaggeration (absolute f stop retain).

Last edited:

EH21

Interesting project, seemingly impossible, but your determination paid off! Thanks for sharing. Would love to see some photos of the actual work done to the camera body to make this possible.

You already answered why ... the extra stop and half of light, but like Stuart, I wondered if it could be that much better than the Mamiya 80 f/1.9 or Hassie/Rollei 110/2 or Rollei Schneider 80/2. The zeiss bokeh - chromatic doublets and hard edges with soft insides ... you either love it or you don't but no one can't say it doesn't have character.

Shashin

...I wondered if it could be that much better than the Mamiya 80 f/1.9 or Hassie/Rollei 110/2 or Rollei Schneider 80/2...
85mm f/1.2 has an entrance pupil of 71mm
80mm f/1.8 has an entrance pupil of 44mm
110mm f/2 has an entrance pupil of 55mm
80mm f/2 has an entrance pupil of 40mm

The numbers don't lie.

V

Vivek

Marko,

One question I have is why you had to hack the lens and the SLR camera to get them to working? Why did you not consider the other possibilities that does not include a mirror? Now you know that the mirror isn't all that useful.

ondebanks

Marko,

One question I have is why you had to hack the lens and the SLR camera to get them to working? Why did you not consider the other possibilities that does not include a mirror? Now you know that the mirror isn't all that useful.
The only other possibility I can think of is the Hartblei Cam. Sure, you could mount and focus the lens on a tech-cam and MFDB...but you have to have something with a shutter.

Ray

V

Vivek

Yeah, if Canon EOS lenses can be attached to a MFDB with a shutter in between, Contax should be very possible.